From: David J Taylor on
"whisky-dave" <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote in message
[]
> Doesn't help the average computer user who just wants to write a few
> letters, print the odd few pictures that they have done with their 10
> year old system.

Likely they would use Microsoft Works (seems to be supplied with most
PCs), and IrfanView works on all the versions of Windows I've tried....

Cheers,
David

From: David J Taylor on
"whisky-dave" <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote in message
[]
> I use Firefox, Safari then IE7.
> I workm in a universitiy in a computer/electronics dept, and we're as
> yet not supporting IE8. I think it's because certain things just don;t
> run the same as IE7.

I do wonder why people design Web sites to only work with IE 7!

> One of the problems is you get one person updating to the lasted product
> and then others can't read it or there are errors. So the answer is to
> upgrade everyone. Easy at home with 3 computers but running a lab with
> anything from a dozen to 100s PC. Also remember when teaching everything
> has to be pretty much the same.

Yes, I've seen that as well. I used to manage several thousand PCs.
Rolling out the converters overnight usually did the job. No need for a
costly upgrade. Unmanaged upgraders should be kept at bay!

Cheers,
David

From: Mr. Strat on
In article <i0d53f$88a$1(a)qmul>, whisky-dave
<whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote:

> > I work in IT for a private university, and we have deployed IE8. It
> > hasn't been a problem with some of the oddball technology that's used
> > on campus.
>
> Yep/no, it 'll probably would be OK if only Microsoft software was used
> but we have linix various flavours and Macs and PC and all sorts of other
> tech, expecting student to have the same experience on each for teaching
> purpose isn't always easy.
> In my lab of 36 PCs Opera seems to be the default.

Most of the servers are Linux-based, but there are no problems with
Banner and Sakai and other Web technologies that are used. We've got
about 12% Macintosh out of 1200+ computers. They seem to do well with
Safari or the recommended Firefox.
From: whisky-dave on

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> "whisky-dave" <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote in message
> []
>> Doesn't help the average computer user who just wants to write a few
>> letters, print the odd few pictures that they have done with their 10
>> year old system.
>
> Likely they would use Microsoft Works (seems to be supplied with most
> PCs), and IrfanView works on all the versions of Windows I've tried....

Which is a further problem because most want Word as it's the standard in
most of industry and that's what industry want their employees to be
familiar with.
That's one of the problems compatability.

From: David J Taylor on

> "David J Taylor" <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote in
> message news:i0d5vd$tml$2(a)news.eternal-september.org...
>> "whisky-dave" <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote in message
>> []
>>> Doesn't help the average computer user who just wants to write a few
>>> letters, print the odd few pictures that they have done with their 10
>>> year old system.
>>
>> Likely they would use Microsoft Works (seems to be supplied with most
>> PCs), and IrfanView works on all the versions of Windows I've tried....
>
> Which is a further problem because most want Word as it's the standard
> in most of industry and that's what industry want their employees to be
> familiar with.
> That's one of the problems compatability.

Is the "average computer user" a student today? Today's MS Office is
quite cheap if the man-in-the-street or an education user buys it, so they
can have MS Office if they want. Or they can get Open Office for free. I
thought that Open Office touted compatibility as one of its features?

Cheers,
David