From: rwalker on
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 11:31:28 +0100, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>Is the "average computer user" a student today? Today's MS Office is
>quite cheap if the man-in-the-street or an education user buys it, so they
>can have MS Office if they want. Or they can get Open Office for free. I
>thought that Open Office touted compatibility as one of its features?
>
>Cheers,
>David

I still use Lotus Word Pro and 123. Luckily, it is very easy to
convert either to Word or Excel if I need to share documents.
From: whisky-dave on

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> "whisky-dave" <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote in message
>>
>> "David J Taylor" <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
>>> "whisky-dave" <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote in message
>>> []
>>>
>>> Likely they would use Microsoft Works (seems to be supplied with most
>>> PCs), and IrfanView works on all the versions of Windows I've tried....
>>
>> Which is a further problem because most want Word as it's the standard in
>> most of industry and that's what industry want their employees to be
>> familiar with.
>> That's one of the problems compatability.
>
> Is the "average computer user" a student today?

They either were or are.
I'm not sure of the brakdown of computer buyers are as far as the private
individual goes.

> Today's MS Office is quite cheap if the man-in-the-street or an education
> user buys it,

Depends on what you call cheap.
UK it starts at about �70
About teh same price as an average printer for the causal user.
This is part of the problem I think.
I was looking at Adobe's collections some of them are �2,500+
Cheap if your AA and just sold a picture for $1000s
But not to someone out of work or have a �20,000 debt from college
after graduating.

>so they can have MS Office if they want. Or they can get Open Office for
>free. I thought that Open Office touted compatibility as one of its
>features?

maybe using the product will show you just how compatible it is.

From: David J Taylor on
"whisky-dave" <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote in message
[]
>>so they can have MS Office if they want. Or they can get Open Office
>>for free. I thought that Open Office touted compatibility as one of its
>>features?
>
> maybe using the product will show you just how compatible it is.

You must have missed my earlier posting! Did try it, had too many
problems and wasted too much time trying to solve them. I was hoping that
someone might rise to the defence of Open Office...but not so far.

Cheers,
David

From: SMS on
On 01/07/10 9:04 AM, David J Taylor wrote:
> "whisky-dave" <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote in message
> []
>>> so they can have MS Office if they want. Or they can get Open Office
>>> for free. I thought that Open Office touted compatibility as one of
>>> its features?
>>
>> maybe using the product will show you just how compatible it is.
>
> You must have missed my earlier posting! Did try it, had too many
> problems and wasted too much time trying to solve them. I was hoping
> that someone might rise to the defence of Open Office...but not so far.
>
> Cheers,
> David

I have Open Office on my netbook, and I have had no problems with it. I
have saved files in Office formats and Office has opened them properly.
In fact I prefer Open Office to Office 2007 which I should never have
installed.
From: Peter on
> "whisky-dave" <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote in message
> []
>>>so they can have MS Office if they want. Or they can get Open Office for
>>>free. I thought that Open Office touted compatibility as one of its
>>>features?
>>
>> maybe using the product will show you just how compatible it is.
>
> You must have missed my earlier posting! Did try it, had too many
> problems and wasted too much time trying to solve them. I was hoping that
> someone might rise to the defence of Open Office...but not so far.

I have used OO, WordPerfect and MS Office, (all versions up to 2007.) For
simple letters and email, all work fine. For sophisticated business use, OO
just doesn't cut it, IMHO. I personally prefer WordPerfect. It would be too
far beyond the limits of this group to go into a laundry list of why.
though, in the interests of full disclosure I must disclose I am a Corel
partner as well as a Microsoft ISV partner.

--
Peter