From: Leythos on
In article <p8ydnRO05_bIMjPWnZ2dnUVZ_rKdnZ2d(a)insightbb.com>,
tinfolihat(a)nospamplease.com says...
> Did you hear about the FBN that went on patrol with 100 sailors and came
> back with 50 couples?

I thought that was the standard for them :-)

Wonder if someone can get me a bucket of steam, or 30 feet of gig-line.

Trust yourself.
From: FromTheRafters on
"Leythos" <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote in message
> In article <p8ydnRO05_bIMjPWnZ2dnUVZ_rKdnZ2d(a)insightbb.com>,
> tinfolihat(a)nospamplease.com says...
>> Did you hear about the FBN that went on patrol with 100 sailors and
>> came
>> back with 50 couples?
>>

> I thought that was the standard for them :-)
>
> Wonder if someone can get me a bucket of steam, or 30 feet of
> gig-line.

First I'll need some bulkhead remover so I can trade it for a can of
relative bearing grease.

From: Leythos on
In article <homdfd$tng$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org says...

> "Leythos" <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote in message
> > In article <p8ydnRO05_bIMjPWnZ2dnUVZ_rKdnZ2d(a)insightbb.com>,
> > tinfolihat(a)nospamplease.com says...
> >> Did you hear about the FBN that went on patrol with 100 sailors and
> >> came
> >> back with 50 couples?
> >>

> > I thought that was the standard for them :-)
> >
> > Wonder if someone can get me a bucket of steam, or 30 feet of
> > gig-line.
>
> First I'll need some bulkhead remover so I can trade it for a can of
> relative bearing grease.

We got a new guy after being out for 5 months without a single port
call, he worked in the shop about 2 days and seemed like a good chap...
We sent him for (since we worked with communications gear) a repaired
portable ASH receiver.... We tracked him to two shops and then he was
gone for hours without anyone seeing him anywhere.... When he came back
he had one of the metal ash trays (for cigarettes) with wires and lights
soldered all over it - was the funniest thing anyone ever did in all
those years.... We even had several noobs convinced that we had a
bowling alley on the carrier, but it was E5 and above only.... Used a
hydraulic leveling system to account for the ships motion.....

Trust yourself.
From: ~BD~ on
Leythos wrote:

> We got a new guy after being out for 5 months without a single port
> call, he worked in the shop about 2 days and seemed like a good chap...
> We sent him for (since we worked with communications gear) a repaired
> portable ASH receiver.... We tracked him to two shops and then he was
> gone for hours without anyone seeing him anywhere.... When he came back
> he had one of the metal ash trays (for cigarettes) with wires and lights
> soldered all over it - was the funniest thing anyone ever did in all
> those years.... We even had several noobs convinced that we had a
> bowling alley on the carrier, but it was E5 and above only.... Used a
> hydraulic leveling system to account for the ships motion.....

Pardonez - moi!

Ici! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ-Iv9Js-1I&NR=1

This is better than any other clip I could find in English! Very similar
to how we operated in the Royal Navy when I served on HMS Ark Royal
1972-1974.

One day on 'Daily Orders' we posted a request for a "Deadload Pilot" and
had at least half a dozen volunteers.

The steam catapult was tested in harbour by 'firing' a very heavy hunk
of metal called a 'deadload' (with wheels, IIRC) - about the size of a
tank - off the front end of the ship

All potential pilots were mustered on the flight deck, where they were
confronted by the 'dead load' - upon which had been tied an ordinary
looking tubular steel naval dining chair. The whole affair was fired
into the ocean whilst they watched in awe. It was a *big* splash!

The question was then posed: "Right guys, who is going to be the first
to sit in the chair?" In a flash, all the potential 'pilots'
disappeared! ;-)
From: ~BD~ on
~BD~ wrote:
> Leythos wrote:
>

>> We got a new guy after being out for 5 months without a single port
>> call, he worked in the shop about 2 days and seemed like a good chap...
>> We sent him for (since we worked with communications gear) a repaired
>> portable ASH receiver.... We tracked him to two shops and then he was
>> gone for hours without anyone seeing him anywhere.... When he came back
>> he had one of the metal ash trays (for cigarettes) with wires and lights
>> soldered all over it - was the funniest thing anyone ever did in all
>> those years.... We even had several noobs convinced that we had a
>> bowling alley on the carrier, but it was E5 and above only.... Used a
>> hydraulic leveling system to account for the ships motion.....
>>

> Pardonez - moi!
>
> Ici! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ-Iv9Js-1I&NR=1
>
> This is better than any other clip I could find in English! Very similar
> to how we operated in the Royal Navy when I served on HMS Ark Royal
> 1972-1974.
>
> One day on 'Daily Orders' we posted a request for a "Deadload Pilot" and
> had at least half a dozen volunteers.
>
> The steam catapult was tested in harbour by 'firing' a very heavy hunk
> of metal called a 'deadload' (with wheels, IIRC) - about the size of a
> tank - off the front end of the ship
>
> All potential pilots were mustered on the flight deck, where they were
> confronted by the 'dead load' - upon which had been tied an ordinary
> looking tubular steel naval dining chair. The whole affair was fired
> into the ocean whilst they watched in awe. It was a *big* splash!
>
> The question was then posed: "Right guys, who is going to be the first
> to sit in the chair?" In a flash, all the potential 'pilots'
> disappeared! ;-)

Leythos,

As you are an ex-navy man, I'm *very* disappointed that you didn't
bother to respond.

Was that simply because you didn't understand French?

There really is no need to feel ashamed. :)

--
Dave
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last