From: Whisper on
lynx wrote:

>> me here wrote:

>>> Use Delpart.
>>>
>>> http://www.russelltexas.com/delpart.htm
>>>
>>> This will kill any MBR - its deadly.
>>>
>>> Then try a format.
>>>
>>> If it won't format then the drives stuffed.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>

>>> Rob
>>>

>> Ok, I'll try that. Thanks.
>>

> That reports. 'No Drive Found'. Time for the bin I feel.

Don't be so hasty - surely there are a few more things you can try?
From: atec "atec77 on
lynx wrote:
> Whisper wrote:
>
>> lynx wrote:

>>> That reports. 'No Drive Found'. Time for the bin I feel.
>>>

>> Don't be so hasty - surely there are a few more things you can try?
>
> Shirley you jest? Like what.. prayer? I've tried everything that's been
> suggested.

Have you used the utilites on that disk you down loaded to mark the
sectors bad that are ?
From: David Fairbrother on
lynx wrote:
> Rod Speed wrote:
>
>> lynx <none(a)nothere.com> wrote:

>>> Ok, I've run it. After quite some time it reports 'error reading
>>> partition table drive 00 sector 0'. Then after a while the same
>>> message again. Then it produced a menu, and when I ran the llformat
>>> it soon returned with 'device timeout'. Running llformat again (from
>>> the menu) i then got 'error bit set. Status Register: 1h Error
>>> Register: 4h'. Re-running again (several times) produced the same
>>> message. (well I get full marks for persistence!) So is this the
>>> point where I throw it in the bin? - ceremoniously of course.
>>>

>> Try the hard drive manufacturer's diag before you bin it.
>>

> What would that be? It's a Quantum drive.

Quantum? How long has it been in service?
I think you're lucky. I had a Quantum 20gb cack it on me after 2 1/2
years of operation (light operation at that).
From: Otter on
In news:sePsh.4202$u8.1758(a)news-server.bigpond.net.au,
lynx <none(a)nothere.com> typed:

> I'm wondering if a hard whack on the bench top might have some good
> effect.

Would you like to borrow my chainsaw?

From: David Fairbrother on
lynx wrote:
> David Fairbrother wrote:
>
>> lynx wrote:

>>> What would that be? It's a Quantum drive.
>>

>> Quantum? How long has it been in service?
>> I think you're lucky. I had a Quantum 20gb cack it on me after 2 1/2
>> years of operation (light operation at that).
>

> I haven't had any drives that I've bought new fail- going right back to
> and including a Quantum 545mb i paid $500 for way back when I can't even
> remember when! This one came from a computer that was given to me.

You've been lucky :( the Quantum I had was a part of an HP machine.
I've had two drives fail on me - one was a Maxtor 1.6gb from 1996
(failed after 6 years, I didn't hold anything against it) and the said
Quantum.