From: Whatcher? on

"Otter" <konrad(a)lorenz.net> wrote in message
> In news:sePsh.4202$u8.1758(a)news-server.bigpond.net.au,
> lynx <none(a)nothere.com> typed:
>>

>> I'm wondering if a hard whack on the bench top might have some good
>> effect.
>
> Would you like to borrow my chainsaw?

Actually that would be a rough way to have a circumcision. He WAS talking
about his old fella and the bench top you know!

From: Otter on
In
Whatcher? <t.4.2(a)2.4.t> typed:

> He WAS talking about his old fella and the bench top you know!

Given your obvious close acquaintance, I'll take your word for it.

From: Hunter01 on
lynx wrote:
> Hunter01 wrote:
>
>> Generally unless you have critical data on the drive that isn't backed
>> up elsewhere (which obviously it would be if it were critical data)
>> don't bother going to square 2 with those sorts of symptoms, drives
>> are so cheap it's more cost effective just to go buy another and bin
>> that one on the spot, those people that do things like scan drives and
>> try to mark out bad sector ranges etc.etc. are generally enthusiasts,
>> it ain't really worth the effort, as the problem will just about
>> always get worse, and in your case it was well beyond that stage anyway.
>
> I'm wondering if a hard whack on the bench top might have some good
> effect. But even if I did get it going, i wouldn't trust it for anything.

You'd be surprised how often percussive maintenance works, done wonders
for me many times! :)
From: Otter on
In news:45b53ec5$0$7974$5a62ac22(a)per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au,
Hunter01 <hunter01(a)iinet.net.au> typed:
> lynx wrote:
>> Hunter01 wrote:
>>
>>> Generally unless you have critical data on the drive that isn't
>>> backed up elsewhere (which obviously it would be if it were
>>> critical data) don't bother going to square 2 with those sorts of
>>> symptoms, drives are so cheap it's more cost effective just to go buy
>>> another and bin
>>> that one on the spot, those people that do things like scan drives
>>> and try to mark out bad sector ranges etc.etc. are generally
>>> enthusiasts, it ain't really worth the effort, as the problem will
>>> just about always get worse, and in your case it was well beyond that
>>> stage
>>> anyway.
>>
>> I'm wondering if a hard whack on the bench top might have some good
>> effect. But even if I did get it going, i wouldn't trust it for
>> anything.
>

> You'd be surprised how often percussive maintenance works, done
> wonders for me many times! :)

Saves on the neurosurgery, you say?

From: Whatcher? on

> In
> Whatcher? <t.4.2(a)2.4.t> typed:
>>
>> He WAS talking about his old fella and the bench top you know!
>
> Given your obvious close acquaintance, I'll take your word for it.

Well he IS your father after all, Pinocchio!