From: atec "atec77 on
lynx wrote:

> G'day all. I've been having trouble with a drive. the system won't boot
> with the drive in place, as a slave or master, regardless of the system
> used, or the computer. I can't run any 'fix it' programs eg. Norton's,
> as the computer won't boot even to cdrom. However, I managed to get it
> to boot with a Seatools floppy (took ages) and that reported that it
> couldn't read the MBR. How can I fix this drive problem, if it's even
> fixable? I can erase the drive if necessary. thanx.
>
> Here's the Seatools report:
>
> (however I don't get the memory that is being reported, as there is
> 128mb installed)

It's a 10 gig ?
unless you have valuable data why bother

when plugged in I gather the machine wont post ?

in one word

shagged .
From: atec "atec77 on
lynx wrote:
> atec wrote:
>
>> lynx wrote:
>>>
>>> G'day all. I've been having trouble with a drive. the system won't
>>> boot with the drive in place, as a slave or master, regardless of the
>>> system used, or the computer. I can't run any 'fix it' programs eg.
>>> Norton's, as the computer won't boot even to cdrom. However, I
>>> managed to get it to boot with a Seatools floppy (took ages) and that
>>> reported that it couldn't read the MBR. How can I fix this drive
>>> problem, if it's even fixable? I can erase the drive if necessary.
>>> thanx.
>>>

>> It's a 10 gig ?
>
> Well I am running cutting edge technology...
>
>> unless you have valuable data why bother
>
> I use it to transfer data between computers or some backups.
>

>> when plugged in I gather the machine wont post ?
>>
>> in one word shagged .
>
> Ok. I have checked on the net, and found that I should be able to fix it
> using FDISK/mbr, but then here's what happens: The computer starts to
> boot from the floppy, then the hard drive is being accessed with a noise
> like drrr...drrr...drrr...drrr...drrr...drrr, and that repeats about
> three or four times, during which the drive power led is on constantly.
> Then when that stops, the drive power led goes off, and the computer
> continues to boot. Then when I run FDISK/mbr it reports 'the MBR boot
> code has not been updated'. So I'm guessing a very nasty virus, or a the
> drive has carked it?

Ok so it posts . go to thje maxtor site and download maxllf which should
clean the drive completly ( there are other tools) if it doesn't make it
possible to fdisk and format it is shagged , but you might be lucky .
Might I suggest you do as many have and purchase an external usb drive
to carry stuff ? the box will be about $50.00 and add what ever you have
, I purchased a 320 gig drive for around 120$
From: atec "atec77 on
lynx wrote:
> atec wrote:
>
>> lynx wrote:

>>> Well I am running cutting edge technology...

>>> I use it to transfer data between computers or some backups.

>>> Ok. I have checked on the net, and found that I should be able to fix
>>> it using FDISK/mbr, but then here's what happens: The computer starts
>>> to boot from the floppy, then the hard drive is being accessed with a
>>> noise like drrr...drrr...drrr...drrr...drrr...drrr, and that repeats
>>> about three or four times, during which the drive power led is on
>>> constantly. Then when that stops, the drive power led goes off, and
>>> the computer continues to boot. Then when I run FDISK/mbr it reports
>>> 'the MBR boot code has not been updated'. So I'm guessing a very
>>> nasty virus, or a the drive has carked it?
>>>

>> Ok so it posts . go to the maxtor site and download maxllf which
>> should clean the drive completly ( there are other tools) if it
>> doesn't make it possible to fdisk and format it is shagged , but you
>> might be lucky .
>
> Thanks. I found this: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
>
> I'll see how I go.
>
>> Might I suggest you do as many have and purchase an external usb
>> drive to carry stuff ? the box will be about $50.00 and add what ever
>> you have, I purchased a 320 gig drive for around $120.
>
> Well, this drive is in a mobile rack, so it's easy enough to swap from
> one computer to another. I don't need a bigger drive than this for what
> I want to use it for. And I find that USB doesn't always work with Win98
> even with the drivers loaded.

I suggested maxllf because I suspect you are about to lose some sectors
, this programme will try to over write them and if crook will mark them
, with luck your o/s will sort the rest .
From: me here on
lynx wrote:

> atec wrote:
>
> > lynx wrote:
> > >
> > > G'day all. I've been having trouble with a drive. the system
> > > won't boot with the drive in place, as a slave or master,
> > > regardless of the system used, or the computer. I can't run any
> > > 'fix it' programs eg. Norton's, as the computer won't boot even
> > > to cdrom. However, I managed to get it to boot with a Seatools
> > > floppy (took ages) and that reported that it couldn't read the
> > > MBR. How can I fix this drive problem, if it's even fixable? I
> > > can erase the drive if necessary. thanx.
> > >

> > It's a 10 gig ?
>
> Well I am running cutting edge technology...
>
> > unless you have valuable data why bother
>
> I use it to transfer data between computers or some backups.
>

> > when plugged in I gather the machine wont post ?
> >
> > in one word shagged .
>
> Ok. I have checked on the net, and found that I should be able to fix
> it using FDISK/mbr, but then here's what happens: The computer starts
> to boot from the floppy, then the hard drive is being accessed with a
> noise like drrr...drrr...drrr...drrr...drrr...drrr, and that repeats
> about three or four times, during which the drive power led is on
> constantly. Then when that stops, the drive power led goes off, and
> the computer continues to boot. Then when I run FDISK/mbr it reports
> 'the MBR boot code has not been updated'. So I'm guessing a very
> nasty virus, or a the drive has carked it?

Use Delpart.

http://www.russelltexas.com/delpart.htm

This will kill any MBR - its deadly.

Then try a format.

If it won't format then the drives stuffed.

Cheers

Rob

From: atec "atec77 on
lynx wrote:
> atec wrote:
>
>> lynx wrote:

>>> Well I am running cutting edge technology...

>>> I use it to transfer data between computers or some backups.

>>> Ok. I have checked on the net, and found that I should be able to fix
>>> it using FDISK/mbr, but then here's what happens: The computer starts
>>> to boot from the floppy, then the hard drive is being accessed with a
>>> noise like drrr...drrr...drrr...drrr...drrr...drrr, and that repeats
>>> about three or four times, during which the drive power led is on
>>> constantly. Then when that stops, the drive power led goes off, and
>>> the computer continues to boot. Then when I run FDISK/mbr it reports
>>> 'the MBR boot code has not been updated'. So I'm guessing a very
>>> nasty virus, or a the drive has carked it?
>>>
>> Ok so it posts . go to the maxtor site and download maxllf which
>> should clean the drive completly ( there are other tools) if it
>> doesn't make it possible to fdisk and format it is shagged , but you
>> might be lucky .
>>

> Ok, I've run it. After quite some time it reports 'error reading
> partition table drive 00 sector 0'. Then after a while the same message
> again. Then it produced a menu, and when I ran the llformat it soon
> returned with 'device timeout'. Running llformat again (from the menu) i
> then got 'error bit set. Status Register: 1h Error Register: 4h'.
> Re-running again (several times) produced the same message. (well I get
> full marks for persistence!) So is this the point where I throw it in
> the bin? - ceremoniously of course.

Well you should dump it . in the old days we used to create two
partitions with some software which I no longer have and not use the 1st
partition , frankly it's shagged for all reasonable intents and purposes.
Throw it gently and do the Salute'