From: Ant on
On 12/29/2009 9:02 PM PT, Rod Speed typed:

>> I noticed my five(?) years old office PC's HDD is getting slower and
>> slower these days. I wonder if it is dying. I don't see anything in
>> SMART colors to show any issues. The technical values confuse me:
>
> Check if the DMA has got turned off somehow.

Where would I check that in XP Pro. SP3? Good call. I remember in
Windows 9x, that could be done somewhere, but I can't remember where
exactly. :(
--
"In a battle between elephants, the ants get squashed." --Thailand
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi(a)earthlink.netANT
( ) or ANTant(a)zimage.com
From: Rod Speed on
Ant wrote
> Arno wrote

>>> I noticed my five(?) years old office PC's HDD is getting slower and
>>> slower these days. I wonder if it is dying. I don't see anything in
>>> SMART colors to show any issues. The technical values confuse me:

>> Looks healthy. Likely just fragmented like crazy or low on free space.

> I actually did defrag, but that didn't seem to help.

It wont be that.

> Hmm! Nothing odd in task manager.

> I did notice lots of disk activities.

Which OS is it ?

From: Rod Speed on
Ant wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>>> I noticed my five(?) years old office PC's HDD is getting slower and
>>> slower these days. I wonder if it is dying. I don't see anything in
>>> SMART colors to show any issues. The technical values confuse me:

>> Check if the DMA has got turned off somehow.

> Where would I check that in XP Pro. SP3?

In the Device Manager, propertys of the controller.

> Good call. I remember in Windows 9x, that could be done somewhere, but I can't remember where exactly. :(

Yeah, tho you would normally expect to see lots of errors
on the cable in the SMART stats, the UDMA_CRC_Error_Count
and you dont if that got it disabled. Might have happened quite
a while ago tho and you have since replaced the cable etc.

From: Ant on
On 12/29/2009 10:49 PM PT, Rod Speed typed:

> Which OS is it ?

Windows XP Pro. SP2.
--
"Ants follow fat." --unknown
/\___/\
From: Ant on
On 12/29/2009 10:54 PM PT, Rod Speed typed:

>>> Check if the DMA has got turned off somehow.
>
>> Where would I check that in XP Pro. SP3?
>
> In the Device Manager, propertys of the controller.

I will check later today since I am not at the computer. Checking my
home PC's XP Pro. SP3, I assume it is in "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers"
section in one of those listed controllers. None of mine say anything
about DMAs, but then I have no IDE/ATA drives connected (got rid of the
old DVD-ROM drive a few weeks ago).

>> Good call. I remember in Windows 9x, that could be done somewhere, but I can't remember where exactly. :(
>
> Yeah, tho you would normally expect to see lots of errors
> on the cable in the SMART stats, the UDMA_CRC_Error_Count
> and you dont if that got it disabled. Might have happened quite
> a while ago tho and you have since replaced the cable etc.

The only replaced inside the case was the PSU that was over three years
ago. Dell techie replaced it for free (under warranty).
--
"What do ants and bees use for cattle?" --Tom
/\___/\