From: Rod Speed on
Ant wrote
> Arno typed

>>> I checked already.

>>> Clean system.

>>> Could be. How can I check to see how fast CPU is going at max? It's old. :)

>> Hmm. There are some tools that can detect thermal throteling,
>> but I have no idea what they are. Maybe try to get the CPU
>> temperature with something like speedfan and see whether it
>> is suspicuously high.

>>> Isn't defrag supposed to fix that?

>> That is a fundamental problem which cannot be fixed. A seek over more tracks just needs longer time, so a fuller disk
>> is typically a bit slower.

> Hmm, could be slower. I have like 1-2 GB free on C: and 8 GB free on D: and E:. These are all partitions/drives on one
> HDD.

That claim about full hard drives being slower is just plain wrong. Doesnt happen.

From: Arno on
Franc Zabkar <fzabkar(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote:
> On 30 Dec 2009 15:55:52 GMT, Arno <me(a)privacy.net> put finger to
> keyboard and composed:

>>Franc Zabkar <fzabkar(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote:
>>> On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 17:42:18 -0600, ANTant(a)zimage.com put finger to
>>> keyboard and composed:

>>> Model Family: Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 family
>>
>>> 4 Start_Stop_Count 0x0032 253 253 000 Old_age Always
>>> - 65
>>
>>> 9 Power_On_Minutes 0x0032 141 141 000 Old_age Always
>>> - 614h+43m
>>
>>> Hmmm, you have an old generation HDD that has run for only 614 hours
>>> and has been power cycled only 65 times ???
>>
>>I think smartctl has some interpretation problems with attribute 9
>>for some disks. I have a notebook disks (Samsung 160JI), that
>>tells me 2562261 "hours" in attribute 9, where it should say
>>"half minutes".
>>
>>Look at the selftest log, there is something more realistic
>>(4 years run-time) for the last selftest. If you take 614 hours
>>and assume smartctl took seconds instead of minutes as base
>>units, you end up pretty close to the same 4 years.

> Here are the two SMART reports:

> Local Time is: Tue Dec 29 15:33:24 2009 PST

> 9 Power_On_Minutes 0x0032 141 141 000 Old_age Always
> - 614h+43m
> Local Time is: Tue Dec 29 18:23:31 2009 PST

> 9 Power_On_Minutes 0x0032 141 141 000 Old_age Always
> - 617h+32m

> Difference in Local Time is 2hrs 50min.

> Difference in Power_On_Minutes is 2hrs 49min.

Thanks for ruining my (obviously wrong)
interpretation.

Hmm. Time since last power-up then?

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Jim Nugent on

"Ant" <ant(a)zimage.comANT> wrote in message
> On 12/29/2009 9:00 PM PT, Franc Zabkar typed:
>
>> On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 17:42:18 -0600, ANTant(a)zimage.com put finger to
>> keyboard and composed:
>>
>> Check whether it has been downgraded from DMA mode to PIO.
>
> Would that be in XP Pro. SP2's Device Manager?

Here are instructions for making sure UDMA is turned on from
http://www.securom.com/message.asp?m=copy. These instructions are intended
for troubleshooting errant CD-ROM copy protection issues, so just substitute
"your
slow HDD" for "your CD/DVD drive." Note that the setting applies to the IDE
Channel (Controller) device, not the HDD device itself. You probably have a
primary and secondary channel.

1.. Open the Device Manager.

2.. Double-click IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers to display the list of
controllers and channels.

3.. Right-click the icon for the channel to which your CD/DVD drive is
connected, select Properties, and then click the Advanced Settings tab.

4.. In the Current Transfer Mode drop-down box, select "DMA if Available"
if the current setting is "PIO Only." If the drop-down box already shows
"DMA if Available" but the current transfer mode is PIO, then you must
toggle the settings. That is:
a.. Change the selection from "DMA if available" to PIO only, and click
OK.
b.. Then repeat the steps above to change the selection to DMA if
available.

From: Ant on
On 12/30/2009 10:40 PM PT, Rod Speed typed:

>> > I didn't see an OC tab. Or did I overlook it?
> Probably, its in the Computer tab on the left, second from the top.

I will check again on Monday (long weekend now). Happy new year BTW. ;)
--
"The sun's just a big glass, we're all ants, I LOVE YOU." --"Magnified"
song by the Failure band
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi(a)earthlink.netANT
( ) or ANTant(a)zimage.com
Ant is/was listening to a song on his home computer: ShootingStar -
/Closer\ (ID: 299733)
From: Ant on
On 12/31/2009 10:54 AM PT, Jim Nugent typed:

> "Ant"<ant(a)zimage.comANT> wrote in message
>> On 12/29/2009 9:00 PM PT, Franc Zabkar typed:
>>
>>> On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 17:42:18 -0600, ANTant(a)zimage.com put finger to
>>> keyboard and composed:
>>>
>>> Check whether it has been downgraded from DMA mode to PIO.
>>
>> Would that be in XP Pro. SP2's Device Manager?
>
> Here are instructions for making sure UDMA is turned on from
> http://www.securom.com/message.asp?m=copy. These instructions are intended
> for troubleshooting errant CD-ROM copy protection issues, so just substitute
> "your
> slow HDD" for "your CD/DVD drive." Note that the setting applies to the IDE
> Channel (Controller) device, not the HDD device itself. You probably have a
> primary and secondary channel.

Thanks, I already checked yesterday and posted about it:

Primary IDE Channel #1:
Device 0: Current Transfer Mode: Ultra DMA Mode 5
Device 1: Current Transfer Mode: Not Applicable

Primary IDE Channel #1:
Device 0: Current Transfer Mode: Ultra DMA Mode 2
Device 1: Current Transfer Mode: Not Applicable

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/8297/screenshotl.gif
--
"None preaches better than the ant, and she says nothing." --Ben Franklin
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phil./Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi(a)earthlink.netANT
( ) or ANTant(a)zimage.com
Ant is/was listening to a song on his home computer: TrevorMcNally - TM
- Retrovert (ID: 298973)