From: fpga_toys on

Antti wrote:
> 1) XUP Board is *not* made by Xilinx, neither is Xilinx claiming it can
> do SATA

1) title blocks on schematics ... Xilinx authorship/ownership
2) Reference manual ... Xilinx authorship/ownership
3) PCB artwork ... Xilinx authorship/ownership
4) Search RM for Digilent ... reference only compatability with
Digilent boards.

The unit does have Digilent compatable I/O ports, and may well have
been designed under contract for Xilinx, but that does make it a Xilinx
labeled Product that they claim ownership of, no matter who is building
it for them. In fact, everything suggests it's actually a Xilinx
Research Labs design instead ... specifically using Digilent I/O
connectors for the University Program, to make it compatable with
student board projects.

And yes, I did finally find the statement on the bottom of page 67 in
the reference manual which starts "the SATA specification requires an
out of band signalling state that is to be used when the channel is
idle. ... "

Which means that since this is REQUIRED, and not provided the serial
interfaces are NOT SATA, but simply have the same data rates and
encoding ... not SATA which is a full system level specification. Using
SATA everywhere to describe the interface, and not meeting the
specification is simply bait and switch, substituting the Xilinx bit
serial interconnect in it's place which just happens to be a
non-compatable subset of the SATA standard.

A parallel 16 bit data bus with control signals is not SCSI, unless it
at least is capable of operating with the complete SCSI protocol ...
anything short of that, and it's SASI, Pertec, or some other 16 bit
bus, maybe even 16 bit ISA/EISA.

From: Antti on
fpga_t...(a)yahoo.com schrieb:

> Antti wrote:
> > 1) XUP Board is *not* made by Xilinx, neither is Xilinx claiming it can
> > do SATA
>
> 1) title blocks on schematics ... Xilinx authorship/ownership
> 2) Reference manual ... Xilinx authorship/ownership
> 3) PCB artwork ... Xilinx authorship/ownership
> 4) Search RM for Digilent ... reference only compatability with
> Digilent boards.
>
> The unit does have Digilent compatable I/O ports, and may well have
> been designed under contract for Xilinx, but that does make it a Xilinx
> labeled Product that they claim ownership of, no matter who is building
> it for them. In fact, everything suggests it's actually a Xilinx
> Research Labs design instead ... specifically using Digilent I/O
> connectors for the University Program, to make it compatable with
> student board projects.
>
> And yes, I did finally find the statement on the bottom of page 67 in
> the reference manual which starts "the SATA specification requires an
> out of band signalling state that is to be used when the channel is
> idle. ... "
>
> Which means that since this is REQUIRED, and not provided the serial
> interfaces are NOT SATA, but simply have the same data rates and
> encoding ... not SATA which is a full system level specification. Using
> SATA everywhere to describe the interface, and not meeting the
> specification is simply bait and switch, substituting the Xilinx bit
> serial interconnect in it's place which just happens to be a
> non-compatable subset of the SATA standard.
>
> A parallel 16 bit data bus with control signals is not SCSI, unless it
> at least is capable of operating with the complete SCSI protocol ...
> anything short of that, and it's SASI, Pertec, or some other 16 bit
> bus, maybe even 16 bit ISA/EISA.

my mistake. somewhat I assumed the XUP board is designed by digilent
(but digilent uses EAGLE cad tool and XUP board is made with
professional CAD tool), or more precisly I assumed it is not designed
by SEG. Well whatever it is, the copyright ownership is clearly owned
fully by Xilinx so the responsibility is also at Xilinx.

the OOB requirement - read my posts again and look again at page 29 of
the
schematic, the OOB requirement is OK, as the circuitry required for the
OOB
workaround for V2Pro is available. Means you can use XUP for SATA - the
only constraint is that you can not claim full compliance as some
drives
will fail to be detected.

Antti

From: fpga_toys on

Antti wrote:
> in any case - I can not and do not want to belive that Xilinx designed
> boards with features knowing not to work (at the time of the board
> design).

I can, and do. I'm currently pissed about Austin's lost, totally
insult, and the overt attempt to cover up the fact that they shipped
FPGA's thru the XC2V and Pro series that trip over power problems for
valid customer designs. That it's probably finally fixed in the XC4V
and later parts is great ... ridiculing me as clueless when I bring up
the point as a warning to someone getting ready to push a board to it's
limits, is unethical to me.

if they are willing to do this for FPGA chips, I have no trouble
believing they would do it for board level products.

Every time I have raised this issue for a year, Austin and Peter have
let loose a scorched earth attack to suppress it, with full Xilinx
managment support.

Any customer design MUST be able to run with worst case data patterns
without causing device upsets, or it WILL/MAY be unstable in the field
under worst case voltage/temp/data patterns.

I have spent far too many years constructing systems level diagnostics
to debug this very problem in poor engineers designs that went into
production. Either they leave the production floor stalled with failing
product, or fail randomly in the field.

To have a chip, which by DESIGN, has an unspecificed instability that
is data/operation sensitive with power problems is HORRIBLE. Sure some
designs, even a lot of designs, may work just fine. But what about the
poor engineer that has chased these gremlins for months, without
resolution ... or worse yet ... lost his job, or company because of it.

Without clear, well defined Icc limits for a chip, and good software to
accurately predict it with safe margins, it's impossible to design
known stable large systems with Xilinx FPGA's. That has to include peak
dynamic currents flowing a clock edge ... not rough averages over
several clocks. Measuring "average systems" isn't enough, because it
doesn't include worst case data patterns, which may not always be that
easy to predict given that this software is free to combine and invert
data internally to pack LUTs.

From: Nico Coesel on
"Antti" <Antti.Lukats(a)xilant.com> wrote:

>in any case - I can not and do not want to belive that Xilinx designed
>boards with features knowing not to work (at the time of the board
>design).

Lets say Xilinx is a bit too optimistic about their devices every now
and then.

--
Reply to nico(a)nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
From: Austin Lesea on
Nico,

I think you said it pretty well.

SATA was also a moving target. The standard had not yet been released
when we were working on things.

An attempt was made to be capable of testing things once the boards were
available.

As for the future, I have said that we are not SATA compatible now, and
have no IP today, and that is true.

I am saying nothing about the future, either immediate, or not so
immediate. I am told that if you are serious about SATA, you should
contact your Xilinx FAE.

Austin