From: Martin E. on
I am looking for a way to read/write to a SATA drive from an FPGA. I've
looked around. Nothing seems to fit the bill. Any ideas worth considering?

Thanks,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Martin

To send private email:
email = x(a)y.com
where:
x = "martineu"
y = "pacbell.net"

From: Antti on
Martin E. schrieb:

> I am looking for a way to read/write to a SATA drive from an FPGA. I've
> looked around. Nothing seems to fit the bill. Any ideas worth considering?
>
> Thanks,
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Martin
Hi Martin,

good question :)

ML300 and digilent XUP V2Pro both have SATA connectors on
them but can not actually be used for SATA as of compliance issues.
(OOB and CDR lock range mainly)

ASFAIK those issues are no longer present with V4FX that
should be fully SATA compliant without external workarounds.
So you can just get the ML410 and start working :)

sure you would still need the IP core from some vendor though

Antti

From: Austin Lesea on
Martin,

SATA worked, but not when it used the spread spectrum clocking. There
was also some out of band signaling issues, where you needed a
transistor and a couple of resistors.

So, it could be a point solution for a known drive that did not have
spread spectrum, but it was not able to deal with the the broad spectrum
of SATA product.

Austin

From: Martin E. on
We are designing with a V2P30 right now for migration to an equivalent V5
Q1'07. The SATA solution won't be needed until early next year. Would V5
work then?

Also, is SATA IP commercially available?

I guess an alternative might be to go PCI X/e and then use an off-the shelf
SATA controller that talks to PCI. The problem is that I need lots of
drives in parallel (I do mean LOTS) for this application. It'd be easier to
hang them right off an FPGA with a PHY (which seem to be impossible to get).

Thanks,

-Martin

From: Austin Lesea on
Martin,

No, and No. Sorry, even V5 does not have the frequency tracking agility
to track the SATA spread spectrum clock. And because of that, we have
no IP for it, either.

The ASSP vendors are very protective about their business: they
continue to make their little applications as tough to do as possible,
to keep out the 'big bad FPGA vendors' who seem to be eating up all
their businesses. (Hey, we are just trying to make our customers happy!)

Too bad: when an industry is spending time being defensive, they have
already lost - any time spent not innovating means you are doomed to
failure.

Austin