From: Don McKenzie on
Jon wrote:
> "Don McKenzie" <5V(a)2.5A> wrote in message
>> Hi Lewin,
>>
>> Considering Sony produced the first 3.5" floppies, and currently hold 70%
>> of the world market, and many other manufacturers have pulled the plug, I
>> would say death is very close to describing what the usage will be in
>> 2011.
>>
>> Some people still go to drive-in cinemas, use Betamax video format, rotary
>> dial phones, and Edison wax cylinders, so these aren't dead either.
>>
>> Only thing that is really dead, are people that fall off the perch. :-)
>>

>> Cheers Don...
>

> They still charge us a 'service fee' on the phone bill if we opt for touch
> tone service.

Just a thought.
How many kids 15 or under would know what a rotary dial is, or ever used
one?

Then, how many kids 15 or under, have ever written, or read a file
to/from a 3.5" floppy?.

Not a lot I would think.
I can't remember when I last used a floppy, must be many years. Would
have been to prop up a short leg on a table. :-)

Footnote **
I laugh when the little ones of today, have to look at the back of your
camera, after you take a picture. What did we do before they put the
screen there?

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page: http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam: http://www.dontronics.com/spam

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
From: Mr.T on

> Footnote **
> I laugh when the little ones of today, have to look at the back of your
> camera, after you take a picture. What did we do before they put the
> screen there?

Most people waited 3 months to get their film processed before they found
out he photo was no good!
Digital camera's have at least seen a rise in people thinking about what
they have shot. Unfortunately camera phones have seen a fall in the quality
of many of those "photo's".

MrT.

From: Mr.T on

> Sony to discontinue 3.5 inch floppy disk
> April 24, 11:34 PMJapan Headlines ExaminerJoshua Williams
>
> Sony announced on April 23rd that they will be discontinuing sales of
> the classic 3.5 inch floppy disk in Japan in 2011. The news marks a
> major end to a nearly three decade history of the disk type that the
> company helped to pioneer.
>
> According to Sony, they introduced the 3.5 inch floppy disk size to the
> world in 1981, and began sales within Japan in 1983. Sony had shipped
> approximately 47 million disks within the country at its peak around the
> year 2000, but that number had fallen to around 8.5 million by 2009,
> Sankei News reported.

WOW, still 8.5 million sales in 2009 from one company alone! So far from
dead then.

MrT.

From: John Tserkezis on
Don McKenzie wrote:

> Sony announced on April 23rd that they will be discontinuing sales of
> the classic 3.5 inch floppy disk in Japan in 2011. The news marks a
> major end to a nearly three decade history of the disk type that the
> company helped to pioneer.

Someone forgot to tell microsoft.

The only way to load device drivers (drive interfaces, SCSI drivers
etc) when installing windows is via the drive at A:. And that's your
only option.

Short of creating a magical alternate boot install CD/DVD for every new
model of box we get. Not looking forward to it.
From: larwe on
On Apr 26, 5:57 pm, Don McKenzie <5...(a)2.5A> wrote:

> Considering Sony produced the first 3.5" floppies, and currently hold
> 70% of the world market, and many other manufacturers have pulled the
> plug, I would say death is very close to describing what the usage will
> be in 2011.

I'm sure I don't need to start hoarding them the way I hoard DSDD
5.25" and SSSD soft-sectored 8" media though :)

> Some people still go to drive-in cinemas, use Betamax video format,
> rotary dial phones, and Edison wax cylinders, so these aren't dead either..

You've been peeking in my windows again! Except that I don't have a
landline. But anyway - I think the only item you have on that list
that isn't in active production is the drive-in theater, so you're
right, they're not dead.

Quiz: Which music format showed the greater percentage sales growth in
2009; was it (a) Compact Disk - Digital Audio, or (b) stereo vinyl 33
1/3rpm LP?