From: Jon on

"Stuart Longland" <redhatter(a)gentoo.org> wrote in message

>> Someone forgot to tell microsoft.
>>
>>The only way to load device drivers (drive interfaces, SCSI drivers
>> etc) when installing windows is via the drive at A:. And that's your
>> only option.
>>
>> Short of creating a magical alternate boot install CD/DVD for every new
>> model of box we get. Not looking forward to it.

>Actually, rumour has it, this is not the case in the two latest
>revisions of their OS. I say rumour as I have not ever tried
>installing one of these latest creations -- the one Windows Vista
>machine I used had it preloaded, and I've never touched Windows 7.

>But yes, you make a valid point ... and I shall make a note to stock
>up on 3.5" floppy disks while they're easily available, as some of the
>ones I have at home are slowly decaying with age.

Server 2003 needs the floppy drive to load SCSI and SAS drivers, there
is no option to read from a USB device.

I'll soon be installing Server 2008 and we'll see if the floppy is still
needed.

From: John Tserkezis on
Stuart Longland wrote:

>> The only way to load device drivers (drive interfaces, SCSI drivers
>> etc) when installing windows is via the drive at A:. And that's your
>> only option.
>> Short of creating a magical alternate boot install CD/DVD for every new
>> model of box we get. Not looking forward to it.

> Actually, rumour has it, this is not the case in the two latest
> revisions of their OS. I say rumour as I have not ever tried
> installing one of these latest creations -- the one Windows Vista
> machine I used had it preloaded, and I've never touched Windows 7.

No idea about Vista, but have installed Win7 several times so far, and
yes, your only option is F6 to look at drive A:.

> But yes, you make a valid point ... and I shall make a note to stock
> up on 3.5" floppy disks while they're easily available, as some of the
> ones I have at home are slowly decaying with age.

Indeed. I've never had much luck with the longevity of 3.5" disks.
They simply do not last. And, owning to the fact we don't use them too
often, (we get boxs with newfanged interfaces when we're least expecting
it) we grab the first disk that's been kicking around in cabinet here.
After we go through several bad ones, we throw them out to find there
are none left.

As I said, we can create a custom boot disk, this is very doable, but
we could have that box up and running in several minutes verses lots more.

Contrary to popular belief we DO have more important things to do than
screw around with installs that don't like to play with the other children.
From: Didi on
On Apr 27, 2:07 pm, John Tserkezis
<j...(a)techniciansyndrome.org.invalid> wrote:
> > But yes, you make a valid point ... and I shall make a note to stock
> > up on 3.5" floppy disks while they're easily available, as some of the
> > ones I have at home are slowly decaying with age.
>
>  Indeed.  I've never had much luck with the longevity of 3.5" disks.
> They simply do not last. ....

Stocking a lot is unlikely to help. Not so long ago I did a final
transfer
of data I had on floppies from the early 90-s. They were all readable
and
in good health (some were even from the late 80-s), I moved them to
images on newer media (HDD, which I currently backup on DVDs) all
right.

But when I tried to write to some of them they all failed miserably,
even the newest ones. Non-formattable, complete scrap. And some of
them had been written just once or twice, so my guess is that even
unused new disks will age and become unusable within max. 10 years.
As if the brownish magnetic stuff they are covered with dries and
hardens
over the years and the tiny magnets inside remain stuck forever :-).

Dimiter

Dimiter Popoff Transgalactic Instruments

http://www.tgi-sci.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/didi_tgi/sets/72157600228621276/

Original message: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.arch.embedded/msg/13a4b9c40be4c51d?dmode=source

From: larwe on
On Apr 27, 12:23 am, "Mr.T" <MrT(a)home> wrote:

> >I explicitly did not include digital downloads for obvious reasons.
>
> Yes you appeared to be making an invalid point.

No, you just seem to be unwilling to think about what I was saying.

> How silly, even digital downloads must end up on some "physical media
> format", even if it's a hard drive.
> And IF you consider vinyl to be analogous to buggy whips, why the silly quiz
> in the first place?

That's even more ridiculous. You do not buy digital downloads as a
sector on your hard drive that is received and glued onto the platter,
you buy the information download. You can delete your personal copy
and redownload it later. In some cases you never actually download it
in the sense of "for storage locally", you just stream it from an
online library on demand.

By your argument, we should be considering the purchase of CD wallets
as part of the CD sales process. And perhaps the purchase of whatever
media were used to master the album originally.

> >BTW, I refuse to believe the music DVD one - I've never even SEEN a
> >music DVD. It's like SACD; it's an acronym, there were/are devices
>
> Now that's *really* silly. I have about a hundred, and there are *many*
> thousands currently available.

LOL. I could say the same thing about my collection of 78rpm records.
SACD and audio DVD are primarily an attempt by the music industry to
get rid of CDs because CDs have no DRM.
From: Spehro Pefhany on
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 10:56:18 +1000, the renowned John Tserkezis
<jt(a)techniciansyndrome.org.invalid> wrote:

>Don McKenzie wrote:
>
>> Sony announced on April 23rd that they will be discontinuing sales of
>> the classic 3.5 inch floppy disk in Japan in 2011. The news marks a
>> major end to a nearly three decade history of the disk type that the
>> company helped to pioneer.
>
> Someone forgot to tell microsoft.
>
> The only way to load device drivers (drive interfaces, SCSI drivers
>etc) when installing windows is via the drive at A:. And that's your
>only option.

My latest machine lacks floppy support on the motherboard (Asus P6T
WS). They suggest using a USB flash drive or USB floppy for RAID
drivers.

> Short of creating a magical alternate boot install CD/DVD for every new
>model of box we get. Not looking forward to it.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
speff(a)interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com