From: SG1 on

"John Tserkezis" <jt(a)techniciansyndrome.org.invalid> wrote in message
> Stuart Longland wrote:
>
>>> The only way to load device drivers (drive interfaces, SCSI drivers
>>> etc) when installing windows is via the drive at A:. And that's your
>>> only option.
>>> Short of creating a magical alternate boot install CD/DVD for every new
>>> model of box we get. Not looking forward to it.
>
>> Actually, rumour has it, this is not the case in the two latest
>> revisions of their OS. I say rumour as I have not ever tried
>> installing one of these latest creations -- the one Windows Vista
>> machine I used had it preloaded, and I've never touched Windows 7.
>
> No idea about Vista, but have installed Win7 several times so far, and
> yes, your only option is F6 to look at drive A:.
>
>> But yes, you make a valid point ... and I shall make a note to stock
>> up on 3.5" floppy disks while they're easily available, as some of the
>> ones I have at home are slowly decaying with age.
>
> Indeed. I've never had much luck with the longevity of 3.5" disks.
> They simply do not last. And, owning to the fact we don't use them too
> often, (we get boxs with newfanged interfaces when we're least expecting
> it) we grab the first disk that's been kicking around in cabinet here.
> After we go through several bad ones, we throw them out to find there
> are none left.
>
> As I said, we can create a custom boot disk, this is very doable, but
> we could have that box up and running in several minutes verses lots more.
>
> Contrary to popular belief we DO have more important things to do than
> screw around with installs that don't like to play with the other
> children.

I have some disks from 1993 that are still readable. I have some from later
that are gibberish, reformat did not help them come back to life. Guess it
depends on the manufacturer.

From: . on

"SG1" <lostitall(a)the.races> wrote in message

> "John Tserkezis" <jt(a)techniciansyndrome.org.invalid> wrote in message

>>> Actually, rumour has it, this is not the case in the two latest
>>> revisions of their OS. I say rumour as I have not ever tried
>>> installing one of these latest creations -- the one Windows Vista
>>> machine I used had it preloaded, and I've never touched Windows 7.
>>
>> No idea about Vista, but have installed Win7 several times so far, and
>> yes, your only option is F6 to look at drive A:.
>>
>>> But yes, you make a valid point ... and I shall make a note to stock
>>> up on 3.5" floppy disks while they're easily available, as some of the
>>> ones I have at home are slowly decaying with age.
>>
>> Indeed. I've never had much luck with the longevity of 3.5" disks.
>> They simply do not last. And, owning to the fact we don't use them too
>> often, (we get boxs with newfanged interfaces when we're least expecting
>> it) we grab the first disk that's been kicking around in cabinet here.
>> After we go through several bad ones, we throw them out to find there
>> are none left.
>>
>> As I said, we can create a custom boot disk, this is very doable, but
>> we could have that box up and running in several minutes verses lots
>> more.
>>
>> Contrary to popular belief we DO have more important things to do than
>> screw around with installs that don't like to play with the other
>> children.
>
> I have some disks from 1993 that are still readable. I have some from
> later that are gibberish, reformat did not help them come back to life.
> Guess it depends on the manufacturer.

They may be requiered
when the PC don`t want to boot any more :(
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Or become priceless item on ebay.
:P

From: Joerg on
Mr.T wrote:
> "Don McKenzie" <5V(a)2.5A> wrote in message
>> Sony to discontinue 3.5 inch floppy disk
>> April 24, 11:34 PMJapan Headlines ExaminerJoshua Williams
>>
>> Sony announced on April 23rd that they will be discontinuing sales of
>> the classic 3.5 inch floppy disk in Japan in 2011. The news marks a
>> major end to a nearly three decade history of the disk type that the
>> company helped to pioneer.
>>
>> According to Sony, they introduced the 3.5 inch floppy disk size to the
>> world in 1981, and began sales within Japan in 1983. Sony had shipped
>> approximately 47 million disks within the country at its peak around the
>> year 2000, but that number had fallen to around 8.5 million by 2009,
>> Sankei News reported.
>

> WOW, still 8.5 million sales in 2009 from one company alone! So far from
> dead then.

Let's assume a retail price of 50c a pop. And that's a lot because that
is what I paid in the early 90's for top quality disks. This would be
$4.25 million in gross revenue. In the world of big corporations that
generates a long-stretched yawn, followed by the drop of the axe.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
From: Joerg on
Stuart Longland wrote:
> On Apr 27, 10:56 am, John Tserkezis
> <j...(a)techniciansyndrome.org.invalid> wrote:
>> Don McKenzie wrote:
>>> Sony announced on April 23rd that they will be discontinuing sales of
>>> the classic 3.5 inch floppy disk in Japan in 2011. The news marks a
>>> major end to a nearly three decade history of the disk type that the
>>> company helped to pioneer.
>> Someone forgot to tell microsoft.
>>
>> The only way to load device drivers (drive interfaces, SCSI drivers
>> etc) when installing windows is via the drive at A:. And that's your
>> only option.
>>
>> Short of creating a magical alternate boot install CD/DVD for every new
>> model of box we get. Not looking forward to it.
>
> Actually, rumour has it, this is not the case in the two latest
> revisions of their OS. I say rumour as I have not ever tried
> installing one of these latest creations -- the one Windows Vista
> machine I used had it preloaded, and I've never touched Windows 7.
>
> But yes, you make a valid point ... and I shall make a note to stock
> up on 3.5" floppy disks while they're easily available, as some of the
> ones I have at home are slowly decaying with age.

Interesting. What's decaying about them? I've got Fuji MF2HD from the
90's and they still work fine.

From: F Murtz on
Don McKenzie wrote:

> Sony to discontinue 3.5 inch floppy disk
> April 24, 11:34 PMJapan Headlines ExaminerJoshua Williams
>
> Sony announced on April 23rd that they will be discontinuing sales of
> the classic 3.5 inch floppy disk in Japan in 2011. The news marks a
> major end to a nearly three decade history of the disk type that the
> company helped to pioneer.
>
> According to Sony, they introduced the 3.5 inch floppy disk size to the
> world in 1981, and began sales within Japan in 1983. Sony had shipped
> approximately 47 million disks within the country at its peak around the
> year 2000, but that number had fallen to around 8.5 million by 2009,
> Sankei News reported.

No wonder the sales have fallen, I have not seen any for sale for a year
or so in any of the big chains or even computer markets.