From: John Tserkezis on
Didi wrote:

> But when I tried to write to some of them they all failed miserably,
> even the newest ones. Non-formattable, complete scrap. And some of
> them had been written just once or twice, so my guess is that even
> unused new disks will age and become unusable within max. 10 years.
> As if the brownish magnetic stuff they are covered with dries and
> hardens
> over the years and the tiny magnets inside remain stuck forever :-).

Now that you mention it, my experience mimics that too. Long term
storage appears to be very much pot luck, but much longer than what I
would have though reasonable for floppy media.

Writes on the other hand, pretty much all long term age disks proved
failure prone in this regard.
From: John Tserkezis on
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

>> The only way to load device drivers (drive interfaces, SCSI drivers
>> etc) when installing windows is via the drive at A:. And that's your
>> only option.

> My latest machine lacks floppy support on the motherboard (Asus P6T
> WS). They suggest using a USB flash drive or USB floppy for RAID
> drivers.

That's nice, but USB flash drives won't ever map to A: or B:. This is
done intentionally, and it makes perfect sense. But it doesn't help the
fact that Windows will not look at *any* other drive than A:.

So, that leaves USB interfaced FDDs, or, as already suggested, creating
an alternative boot disk with the drivers included.
From: Doug McIntyre on
John Tserkezis <jt(a)techniciansyndrome.org.invalid> writes:
>Spehro Pefhany wrote:
>>> The only way to load device drivers (drive interfaces, SCSI drivers
>>> etc) when installing windows is via the drive at A:. And that's your
>>> only option.

>> My latest machine lacks floppy support on the motherboard (Asus P6T
>> WS). They suggest using a USB flash drive or USB floppy for RAID
>> drivers.

> That's nice, but USB flash drives won't ever map to A: or B:. This is
>done intentionally, and it makes perfect sense. But it doesn't help the
>fact that Windows will not look at *any* other drive than A:.

I have a Flash Drive that mimics part of its space as a USB Floppy
that *does* map to drive A: or B:. Unfortunately it doesn't work very
well with most systems. :(

> So, that leaves USB interfaced FDDs, or, as already suggested, creating
>an alternative boot disk with the drivers included.

Of course this is all only just for WinXP (ie. that Windows release
from 8 years ago), or Server 2003 from 7 years ago..

Vista & Win7/Server 2008 either release have methods to read in
RAID/HBA drivers off flash or USB devices during installation while
booted into WinPE. And its easy to make a new WinPE boot environment
with said drivers if needed.
From: langwadt on
On 27 Apr., 14:55, Spehro Pefhany <speffS...(a)interlogDOTyou.knowwhat>
wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 10:56:18 +1000, the renowned John Tserkezis
>
> <j...(a)techniciansyndrome.org.invalid> wrote:
> >Don McKenzie wrote:
>
> >> Sony announced on April 23rd that they will be discontinuing sales of
> >> the classic 3.5 inch floppy disk in Japan in 2011. The news marks a
> >> major end to a nearly three decade history of the disk type that the
> >> company helped to pioneer.
>
> > Someone forgot to tell microsoft.
>
> > The only way to load device drivers (drive interfaces, SCSI drivers
> >etc) when installing windows is via the drive at A:.  And that's your
> >only option.
>
> My latest machine lacks floppy support on the motherboard (Asus P6T
> WS). They suggest using a USB flash drive or USB floppy for RAID
> drivers.

a few years ago when I got a stack of dell 1U servers they all had a
USB floppy drive in the box with manuals etc.

-Lasse
From: Joerg on
Don McKenzie wrote:
> Jon wrote:
>> "Don McKenzie" <5V(a)2.5A> wrote in message
>>> Hi Lewin,
>>>
>>> Considering Sony produced the first 3.5" floppies, and currently hold
>>> 70% of the world market, and many other manufacturers have pulled the
>>> plug, I would say death is very close to describing what the usage
>>> will be in 2011.

I have stashed away 3-1/2" disks and also 5-1/4" floppies. In production
the lifetime of machines is often many decades and there are numerous
machines that will not be re-programmable via any other means.

>>> Some people still go to drive-in cinemas, use Betamax video format,
>>> rotary dial phones, and Edison wax cylinders, so these aren't dead
>>> either.
>>>
>>> Only thing that is really dead, are people that fall off the perch. :-)
>>>

>>> Cheers Don...
>>

>> They still charge us a 'service fee' on the phone bill if we opt for
>> touch tone service.

Until recently we paid an extra tax via the phone bill to finance the
Spanish-American war which AFAIK ended in 1898 ...

> Just a thought.
> How many kids 15 or under would know what a rotary dial is, or ever used
> one?
>
> Then, how many kids 15 or under, have ever written, or read a file
> to/from a 3.5" floppy?.
>
> Not a lot I would think.
> I can't remember when I last used a floppy, must be many years. Would
> have been to prop up a short leg on a table. :-)
>
> Footnote **
> I laugh when the little ones of today, have to look at the back of your
> camera, after you take a picture. What did we do before they put the
> screen there?

We learned how to take good photographs, in my case I took classes.
Because the cost of a 24 or 36 roll of 35mm film (or 12 exposures in the
6cm by 6cm days) was rather substantial and you could not waste any of
it. So we spent some time getting the lighting right, making sure
everything else was just right, and so on. Often there was no chance to
re-take a shot because you would not know until several days later
whether the result was ok or not.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/