From: rantingrick on
On Jun 10, 9:38 pm, Stephen Hansen <me+list/pyt...(a)ixokai.io> wrote:

> Also-- you're just starting to get wrong.
>
> http://docs.python.org/library/tix.html
>
> They don't -call- them the things you are, but between ComboBox, and the
> flexibility of HList and TList... it actually offers quite a lot.

Urm, do you *know* what a Grid widget is Stephen? (hint: Excel) Do you
*know* what a ListCtrl is Stephen? (Hint: File Browser in report or
iconlabel views) Neither of those widgets exists in the Tix package.
And how do i *know* this? Well because unlike you i have actually
written code with Tix widgets, obviously you have not.

The TList only displays iconlabels in a wrapping column format, not in
any "report mode" ala: Windows Explorer("details mode"). The HList
widget is for showing a tree structure and is NOTHING like either a
ListCtrl or a Grid.

Just scanning the docs of a module (that you know jack about) and then
parroting off some baseless arguments are bound to bite you in the
@ss! *egg on face*
From: Stephen Hansen on
On 6/10/10 8:21 PM, rantingrick wrote:
> On Jun 10, 9:38 pm, Stephen Hansen <me+list/pyt...(a)ixokai.io> wrote:
>
>> Also-- you're just starting to get wrong.
>>
>> http://docs.python.org/library/tix.html
>>
>> They don't -call- them the things you are, but between ComboBox, and the
>> flexibility of HList and TList... it actually offers quite a lot.
>
> Urm, do you *know* what a Grid widget is Stephen? (hint: Excel) Do you
> *know* what a ListCtrl is Stephen? (Hint: File Browser in report or
> iconlabel views)

Yes, I do now what a Grid and ListCtrl are. I misread the Tabular bit --
my mistake, however: I was led into a false sense of, "Gosh, he's not
even trying" by the previous comments you made about a lack of ComboBox
until Py3, when it is available in tix. And is the only part of tix I've
ever used, yes.

> Just scanning the docs of a module (that you know jack about) and then
> parroting off some baseless arguments are bound to bite you in the
> @ss! *egg on face*

*Yawn*

--

Stephen Hansen
... me+list/python (AT) ixokai (DOT) io

From: ant on
I don't know whether this thread is going backwards, forwards or
sideways. But a lot of useful information is creeping out of the
woodwork.

I like the points about backwards compatibility. Presumably that
reason alone is enough to keep Tkinter in the standard library for a
long while.
But the point has also been made that there are several things there
that are - if not duplicates - at least alternatives.

So would it be so awful to have Tkinter and GUI2 (whatever it is) in
the stdlib, assuming that both had equivalent functionality? That
would be the way to give people the choice.
But it does imply that GUI2 is not too huge, to prevent excessive
bloat (is that a tautology?).
Other interesting comments: licencing. Can anyone give a concise
summary of whether the 'major' GUIs have any insuperable licencing
problems that would rule them out anyway? Programming is hard enough
without lawyers.
From: Benjamin Kaplan on
On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 10:17 PM, ant <shimbo(a)uklinux.net> wrote:
> I don't know whether this thread is going backwards, forwards or
> sideways. But a lot of useful information is creeping out of the
> woodwork.
>
> I like the points about backwards compatibility. Presumably that
> reason alone is enough to keep Tkinter in the standard library for a
> long while.
> But the point has also been made that there are several things there
> that are - if not duplicates - at least alternatives.
>
> So would it be so awful to have Tkinter and GUI2 (whatever it is) in
> the stdlib, assuming that both had equivalent functionality? That
> would be the way to give people the choice.
> But it does imply that GUI2 is not too huge, to prevent excessive
> bloat (is that a tautology?).
> Other interesting comments: licencing. Can anyone give a concise
> summary of whether the 'major' GUIs have any insuperable licencing
> problems that would rule them out anyway? Programming is hard enough
> without lawyers.

PyQT is dual-licensed GPL and commercial, so it can't be included.
PyGTK is under the LGPL which could cause some problems as well (which
would rule out PyGUI- the user shouldn't have to install a 3rd party
Python module to use a standard library module). wxPython is under a
modified LGPL. While the wxWidgets license is more permissive than the
LGPL, I still don't think it can be included.
From: Martin v. Loewis on
> It seems that removing Tkinter from the stdlib will not only benefit
> Python, but also Tkinter; due to the fact that Tkinter will not be
> confined to Python's release schedules. As we've witnessed so far
> almost nothing has changed since Tkinter's addition many years ago.

That's not true. Python 2.7 adds support for the Ttk widgets. Also,
the turtle module was significantly revised for 2.6.

Regards,
Martin