From: Stephen Hansen on
On 6/11/10 1:20 PM, rantingrick wrote:
> Run the warning. Then and *only* then can we move forward with facts.

http://google.com/codesearch?q=%22from+Tkinter+import%22
http://google.com/codesearch?q=%22import+Tkinter%22

Compared to:

http://google.com/codesearch?q=%22from+wx+import%22
http://google.com/codesearch?q=%22import+wx%22

and

http://google.com/codesearch?q=%22from+PyQT4+import%22
http://google.com/codesearch?q=%22import+PyQT4%22

-1; This most trivial and unreliable of metrics is, despite its limited
effectiveness, enough alone to show that there is sufficient usage of
Tkinter to argue against removal without a compelling replacement being
available and a migration path available for those who used Tkinter
before to make use of this replacement.

There is neither a compelling replacement ready yet (though PyGUI may
become one, sure) nor any migration path available ('just download
tkinter from pypi' is not sufficient)

--

Stephen Hansen
... me+list/python (AT) ixokai (DOT) io

From: rantingrick on
On Jun 11, 4:08 pm, Stephen Hansen <me+list/pyt...(a)ixokai.io> wrote:
> On 6/11/10 1:20 PM, rantingrick wrote:
>
> > Run the warning. Then and *only* then can we move forward with facts.
>
> http://google.com/codesearch?q=%22from+Tkinter+import%22http://google.com/codesearch?q=%22import+Tkinter%22
>
> Compared to:
>
> http://google.com/codesearch?q=%22from+wx+import%22http://google.com/codesearch?q=%22import+wx%22
>
> and
>
> http://google.com/codesearch?q=%22from+PyQT4+import%22http://google.com/codesearch?q=%22import+PyQT4%22
>
> -1; This most trivial and unreliable of metrics is, despite its limited
> effectiveness, enough alone to show that there is sufficient usage of
> Tkinter to argue against removal without a compelling replacement being
> available and a migration path available for those who used Tkinter
> before to make use of this replacement.
>
> There is neither a compelling replacement ready yet (though PyGUI may
> become one, sure) nor any migration path available ('just download
> tkinter from pypi' is not sufficient)

Fair enough! Although whether or not we want to remove Tkinter i think
it would be a good idea to get some feedback. But alas i am tired of
fighting with you guys about it.

So, since we are *keeping* Tkinter i want some suggestions for
improvement. And don't go telling me that nothing needs fixing,
because i have documented time and again the problems in Tkinter and
IDLE. I have already made patches/fixes for some of them but somehow i
fear the *in crowd* will never accept my changes just from pure spite.

So let me hear of ANY improvements and/or suggestions for Tkinter/IDLE
docs, code, or whatever.
From: geremy condra on
On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 4:19 PM, rantingrick <rantingrick(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 11, 4:08 pm, Stephen Hansen <me+list/pyt...(a)ixokai.io> wrote:
>> On 6/11/10 1:20 PM, rantingrick wrote:
>>
>> > Run the warning. Then and *only* then can we move forward with facts.
>>
>> http://google.com/codesearch?q=%22from+Tkinter+import%22http://google.com/codesearch?q=%22import+Tkinter%22
>>
>> Compared to:
>>
>> http://google.com/codesearch?q=%22from+wx+import%22http://google.com/codesearch?q=%22import+wx%22
>>
>> and
>>
>> http://google.com/codesearch?q=%22from+PyQT4+import%22http://google.com/codesearch?q=%22import+PyQT4%22
>>
>> -1; This most trivial and unreliable of metrics is, despite its limited
>> effectiveness, enough alone to show that there is sufficient usage of
>> Tkinter to argue against removal without a compelling replacement being
>> available and a migration path available for those who used Tkinter
>> before to make use of this replacement.
>>
>> There is neither a compelling replacement ready yet (though PyGUI may
>> become one, sure) nor any migration path available ('just download
>> tkinter from pypi' is not sufficient)
>

> Fair enough! Although whether or not we want to remove Tkinter i think
> it would be a good idea to get some feedback. But alas i am tired of
> fighting with you guys about it.
>
> So, since we are *keeping* Tkinter i want some suggestions for
> improvement. And don't go telling me that nothing needs fixing,
> because i have documented time and again the problems in Tkinter and
> IDLE. I have already made patches/fixes for some of them but somehow i
> fear the *in crowd* will never accept my changes just from pure spite.

This is the important part of life where you find out you aren't everybody
else's boss.

> So let me hear of ANY improvements and/or suggestions for Tkinter/IDLE
> docs, code, or whatever.

If you don't know of anything wrong with it, why raise this huge stink?
If you do, why are you asking us? Just go fix it.

Geremy Condra
From: Mark Roseman on
> So let me hear of ANY improvements and/or suggestions for Tkinter/IDLE
> docs, code, or whatever.

Why don't you modify the IDLE code to use the newer ttk widget set,
rather than what its using now? You'd be surprised at how much
difference you'll see.
From: Gregory Ewing on
Stephen Hansen wrote:

> There's very little you can do with pywin32 that you can't do with
> ctypes.

Except, apparently, use it from another module in the stdlib. :-(

--
Greg