From: Martin v. Loewis on
Am 10.06.2010 23:20, schrieb rantingrick:
> Free up pydev and send Tkinter to the bitbucket! But if you
> *do* decide to include a GUI, should it not at *least* be based on the
> native widgets like PyGUI?

So Tkinter is a good choice, then, as it *does* have native widgets.

Regards,
Martin
From: rantingrick on
On Jun 11, 12:17 am, ant <shi...(a)uklinux.net> wrote:
> I like the points about backwards compatibility. Presumably that
> reason alone is enough to keep Tkinter in the standard library for a
> long while.

I don't see why that is a good reason. Download Tkinter and your
backward compatible again. The majority don't use it anyway. I would
bet that only myself, Kevin, and only a handful of others use Tkinter
for anything more than education purposes. AFIK, Kevin is THE ONLY
PYTHON programmer producing real professional GUI's with Tkinter -- i
encourage anyone else to speak up if your out there producing real
Tkinter GUI. (psst: i don't think we'll be seeing mobs in the streets,
really i don't)

> So would it be so awful to have Tkinter and GUI2 (whatever it is) in
> the stdlib, assuming that both had equivalent functionality?

That would be an atrociously horrible idea! One GUI is more than
enough. Some would say one GUI is far too much. Two GUIs? Yea that'll
get a warm reception from pydev. ;-)
From: Martin P. Hellwig on
On 06/11/10 07:00, rantingrick wrote:
<cut>
> I would
> bet that only myself, Kevin, and only a handful of others use Tkinter
> for anything more than education purposes. AFIK, Kevin is THE ONLY
> PYTHON programmer producing real professional GUI's with Tkinter -- i
> encourage anyone else to speak up if your out there producing real
> Tkinter GUI. (psst: i don't think we'll be seeing mobs in the streets,
> really i don't)

The Karaoke Network, Kiosk machine uses tkinter on win32 for the
passcode interface (on screen keyboard).
Randstad HR Solutions (before that part has been sold off) had several
small database tools (which where cli orientated) using tkinter for
interactivity on win linux/win32.

Though I don't like tkinter either, but I don't seem to hate it as much
as others do.

--
mph
From: rantingrick on
On Jun 11, 12:48 am, "Martin v. Loewis" <mar...(a)v.loewis.de> wrote:
> So Tkinter is a good choice, then, as it *does* have native widgets.

And it only took how many years? ;-)

Ok i have a litmus test in mind, a way we can get a *real* idea of how
many python programmers actually want Tkinter to stay. In the next
release of Python 2.x and 3.x create a warning upon import of Tkinter
that says this...

"""
-------------------------------
ModuleRemovalWarning: Tkinter
-------------------------------
The GUI module "Tkinter" is being considered for removal from the
Python
stdlib FOREVER. If you use Tkinter and wish for it to stay in the
stdlib
you need to visit "www.savetkinter.com" and cast your vote now. The
voting
will end on dd/mm/yyyy so make sure to cast your vote or don't be
complaining
about it later. Note: Simon Cowell WILL NOT be making a celebrity
appearance!
"""

What can pydev lose from such a test? If the numbers are large then i
will jump full force behind Tkinter. But if not, we know it's time to
act.

From: Mark Lawrence on
On 11/06/2010 07:28, rantingrick wrote:
> On Jun 11, 12:48 am, "Martin v. Loewis"<mar...(a)v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> So Tkinter is a good choice, then, as it *does* have native widgets.
>
> And it only took how many years? ;-)
>
> Ok i have a litmus test in mind, a way we can get a *real* idea of how
> many python programmers actually want Tkinter to stay. In the next
> release of Python 2.x and 3.x create a warning upon import of Tkinter
> that says this...
>
> """
> -------------------------------
> ModuleRemovalWarning: Tkinter
> -------------------------------
> The GUI module "Tkinter" is being considered for removal from the
> Python
> stdlib FOREVER. If you use Tkinter and wish for it to stay in the
> stdlib
> you need to visit "www.savetkinter.com" and cast your vote now. The
> voting
> will end on dd/mm/yyyy so make sure to cast your vote or don't be
> complaining
> about it later. Note: Simon Cowell WILL NOT be making a celebrity
> appearance!
> """
>
> What can pydev lose from such a test? If the numbers are large then i
> will jump full force behind Tkinter. But if not, we know it's time to
> act.

I look forward to seeing your request on the Python bug tracker. Not
holding my breath.

Mark Lawrence.