From: Stephen Hansen on
On 6/10/10 11:00 PM, rantingrick wrote:
> On Jun 11, 12:17 am, ant <shi...(a)uklinux.net> wrote:
>> I like the points about backwards compatibility. Presumably that
>> reason alone is enough to keep Tkinter in the standard library for a
>> long while.
>
> I don't see why that is a good reason. Download Tkinter and your
> backward compatible again. The majority don't use it anyway. I would
> bet that only myself, Kevin, and only a handful of others use Tkinter
> for anything more than education purposes. AFIK, Kevin is THE ONLY
> PYTHON programmer producing real professional GUI's with Tkinter -- i
> encourage anyone else to speak up if your out there producing real
> Tkinter GUI. (psst: i don't think we'll be seeing mobs in the streets,
> really i don't)

Hint: the world and even Python community is a lot larger then this
mailing list.

A LOT.

--

Stephen Hansen
... me+list/python (AT) ixokai (DOT) io

From: Stephen Hansen on
On 6/11/10 4:48 AM, Andreas Waldenburger wrote:
> I have a strong suspicion that Tkinter may be used a lot more than is
> made public (isn't anything?). I'm especially thinking about scientists
> who write special purpose data processing or control programs with
> basic GUIs. These things don't have to be pretty or anything and it is
> a HUGE advantage if you don't have to jump through any hoops to get it
> to run on different platforms.

This.

Its used in a lot of in-house / internal things.

Another point: there's a not insignificant minority to whom 'just
download it' simply doesn't apply.

To replace tkinter would require a clea r upgrade path. Or a really,
really, really long deprecation period.

From: Mark Lawrence on
On 11/06/2010 17:17, rantingrick wrote:
> On Jun 11, 9:06 am, Mark Lawrence<breamore...(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> "Everyone who uses IDLE uses TKInter, and a lot of people use IDLE."
>
> That sounds like hyperbole to me. What evidence do you have to made
> such a statement. What evidence do *I* have to make the opposing
> statement. We don't, so add the warning and put your money where your
> mouth is instead of your foot :-!

I did *NOT* make the statement as my original post clearly shows.

<original>
To quote R. David Murray on the Python bug tracker earlier today.

"Everyone who uses IDLE uses TKInter, and a lot of people use IDLE."
</original>

Looks like you're mad cos the bug tracker issue has already been closed
as rejected. Or is it cos you fell for my bait? Or both?

To paraphrase Tommy Docherty, Ranting Rick is to Python what King Herod
was to baby sitting.

Have a nice day.

Mark Lawrence.

From: Paul Rubin on
Andreas Waldenburger <usenot(a)geekmail.INVALID> writes:
> I have a strong suspicion that Tkinter may be used a lot more than is
> made public (isn't anything?). I'm especially thinking about scientists
> who write special purpose data processing or control programs with
> basic GUIs. These things don't have to be pretty or anything and it is
> a HUGE advantage if you don't have to jump through any hoops to get it
> to run on different platforms.

Yes, I don'tthink that's limited to scientists either. One way to slap
a basic GUI on something is to embed a web server in it, or run it as a
CGI, so the user connects to it with a browser. I think most
programmers are familiar with that idea, that GUI functionality doesn't
have to be slick in order to be useful. Other times, you don't want a
browser involved, and tkinter works fine for that. I've always found
tkinter adequate for the (not terribly slick) applications I've written
with guis. I can understand it's only good for relatively rudimentary
apps, but that's sufficient for lots of things.
From: Emile van Sebille on
On 6/11/2010 1:20 PM rantingrick said...
> On Jun 11, 12:44 pm, Mark Lawrence<breamore...(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>> and a lot of people use IDLE."
>
> "A lot"? How many is "a lot"

4050 (1)

Emile :)

---

(1) Results 1 - 10 of about 4,050 for python "in idle".