From: Kevin Walzer on
On 6/11/10 7:48 AM, Andreas Waldenburger wrote:

> I have a strong suspicion that Tkinter may be used a lot more than is
> made public (isn't anything?). I'm especially thinking about scientists
> who write special purpose data processing or control programs with
> basic GUIs. These things don't have to be pretty or anything and it is
> a HUGE advantage if you don't have to jump through any hoops to get it
> to run on different platforms.
>
> /W

Good point .Tkinter is very widely used in scientific visualization
software:

UCSF Chimera
http://www.cgl.ucsf.edu/chimera/

PyMOL
http://www.pymol.org/

There are others, no doubt.

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin
From: Mark Lawrence on
On 11/06/2010 12:48, Andreas Waldenburger wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 23:00:37 -0700 (PDT) rantingrick
> <rantingrick(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jun 11, 12:17 am, ant<shi...(a)uklinux.net> wrote:
>>> I like the points about backwards compatibility. Presumably that
>>> reason alone is enough to keep Tkinter in the standard library for a
>>> long while.
>>
>> I don't see why that is a good reason. Download Tkinter and your
>> backward compatible again. The majority don't use it anyway. I would
>> bet that only myself, Kevin, and only a handful of others use Tkinter
>> for anything more than education purposes.
>
> I have a strong suspicion that Tkinter may be used a lot more than is
> made public (isn't anything?). I'm especially thinking about scientists
> who write special purpose data processing or control programs with
> basic GUIs. These things don't have to be pretty or anything and it is
> a HUGE advantage if you don't have to jump through any hoops to get it
> to run on different platforms.
>
> /W

To quote R. David Murray on the Python bug tracker earlier today.

"Everyone who uses IDLE uses TKInter, and a lot of people use IDLE."

Kindest regards.

Mark Lawrence.

From: Jean-Michel Pichavant on
Andreas Waldenburger wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 23:00:37 -0700 (PDT) rantingrick
> <rantingrick(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 11, 12:17 am, ant <shi...(a)uklinux.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I like the points about backwards compatibility. Presumably that
>>> reason alone is enough to keep Tkinter in the standard library for a
>>> long while.
>>>
>> I don't see why that is a good reason. Download Tkinter and your
>> backward compatible again. The majority don't use it anyway. I would
>> bet that only myself, Kevin, and only a handful of others use Tkinter
>> for anything more than education purposes.
>>

> I have a strong suspicion that Tkinter may be used a lot more than is
> made public (isn't anything?). I'm especially thinking about scientists
> who write special purpose data processing or control programs with
> basic GUIs. These things don't have to be pretty or anything and it is
> a HUGE advantage if you don't have to jump through any hoops to get it
> to run on different platforms.
>
> /W

Moreover, the majority of the python scripts/applications do not require
any GUI, the majority of those which require a GUI don't require to be
pretty anyway.

JM

From: rantingrick on
On Jun 11, 9:06 am, Mark Lawrence <breamore...(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> "Everyone who uses IDLE uses TKInter, and a lot of people use IDLE."

That sounds like hyperbole to me. What evidence do you have to made
such a statement. What evidence do *I* have to make the opposing
statement. We don't, so add the warning and put your money where your
mouth is instead of your foot :-!
From: Stephen Hansen on
On 6/10/10 10:17 PM, ant wrote:
> So would it be so awful to have Tkinter and GUI2 (whatever it is) in
> the stdlib, assuming that both had equivalent functionality? That
> would be the way to give people the choice.

There's some slight precedent, in that the stdlib does offer more then
one "xml" library -- from the suck of minidom, to sax, to elementtree.
Then again they all sort of address slightly different domains of
problems related to xml. Then there's urllib/urllib2 -- but usually, if
one library duplicates the intent of another, they only co-exist until
such time as the old one can Go Away. (Exactly how long that is,
depends: some 'to go away' libraries can survive a very long time due to
major usage).

That said, I'd be worried about--

> But it does imply that GUI2 is not too huge, to prevent excessive
> bloat (is that a tautology?).

When you factor in dependencies, it might be a lot. Then again, it might
not. Not counting dependencies, PyGUI seems reasonably sized -- the
other major GUI's? Way too big.

> Other interesting comments: licencing. Can anyone give a concise
> summary of whether the 'major' GUIs have any insuperable licencing
> problems that would rule them out anyway? Programming is hard enough
> without lawyers.

wxPython (and its dependency, wxWidgets) has a custom license, but its
very Python-like. Meaning, its essentially 'do whatever you want, open,
closed, commercial, charity, whatever'.

QT is LGPL -- and although you can technically include LGPL stuff in
non-[L]GPL libs, I don't think its policy in Python to allow it. It
creates a burden / obligation.

PyQT is GPL, so impossible to include at all. PySide, Nokia's answer to
PyQt not changing their licensing terms when Nokia acquired TrollTech,
is LGPL. Technically possible, but I don't think its allowable.

PyGTK is LGPL. Same issues: and this raises a question with regards to
PyGUI, which uses pygtk on linux to create its UI.

I don't remember what other UI libs are out there.

I might be wrong on the LGPL policy bit. But the only stuff I'm aware of
that Python bundles (i.e., zlib, sqlite) have the permissive 'do
whatever' type of license. I don't believe Python wants to create a
situation where any burden is placed on someone who embeds it.

--

Stephen Hansen
... me+list/python (AT) ixokai (DOT) io