From: felmon on
On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 03:23:13 -0700, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> Explaining to them that yes, RTF is Word compatible and far, far, far
> more stable than Word [flavor of the month] format can be an adventure.

just curious: why do you bother explaining this? they won't notice the
difference if you use a '.doc' extension (or am I mistaken?).

Felmon
From: RayLopez99 on
On Jun 9, 5:39 pm, ray <r...(a)zianet.com> wrote:

> Hey NoBalls - there is a reason that Linux distributions have
> 'repositories' and 'package managers'. This ain't MS - it's easy.

well if it's so fucing easy why don't you tell me (not details but big
picture) how to do it?

"thanks in advance" (I know I won't be hearing from you again, because
it's sooo easy, right?)

RL
From: ray on
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 03:41:25 -0700, RayLopez99 wrote:

> On Jun 9, 5:39 pm, ray <r...(a)zianet.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey NoBalls - there is a reason that Linux distributions have
>> 'repositories' and 'package managers'. This ain't MS - it's easy.
>
> well if it's so fucing easy why don't you tell me (not details but big
> picture) how to do it?
>
> "thanks in advance" (I know I won't be hearing from you again, because
> it's sooo easy, right?)
>
> RL

I did.
From: Alister Ware on
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 03:41:25 -0700, RayLopez99 wrote:

> On Jun 9, 5:39 pm, ray <r...(a)zianet.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey NoBalls - there is a reason that Linux distributions have
>> 'repositories' and 'package managers'. This ain't MS - it's easy.
>
> well if it's so fucing easy why don't you tell me (not details but big
> picture) how to do it?
>
> "thanks in advance" (I know I won't be hearing from you again, because
> it's sooo easy, right?)
>
> RL

Ray seems to have a issue with helping people to learn that the Windoze
way is not the only way.
most linux distributions have some form of "Package Manager" these enable
packages to be downloaded & installed directly from a "Repository" on the
internet.
if a package is not available in the repository for your distro then an
installation file can usually be found in the correct format for your
distro.

Debian based distros use apt-get as a package manager & .deb files for
instalation

Red hat (& fedora) use yum as a package manager & the RPM format for
packages

DSL uses its own form of package management & J G Miller has already
given you a link to its documentation page <http://www.damnsmalllinux.ORG/
wiki/index.php/Installing_MyDSL_Extensions>

I would suggest that before trying to create an extreme installation
( & squeezing an os into limited hardware is extreme) you might find it
beneficial to learn on a more mainstream distro with more up-to date
hardware first
--
fortune -s linux
From: RayLopez99 on
On Jun 10, 11:34 pm, Alister Ware <alister.w...(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:

> DSL uses its own form of package management & J G Miller has already
> given you a link to its documentation page <http://www.damnsmalllinux.ORG/
> wiki/index.php/Installing_MyDSL_Extensions>

I looked at this link and could not find anything. Can you please
tell me where info on how to install is for DSL? Is it here? Which
command here: http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/packages.html

Where do you put the binary executables (assuming I download something
already compiled)?

> I would suggest that before trying to create an extreme installation
> ( & squeezing an os into limited hardware is extreme) you might find it
> beneficial to learn on a more mainstream distro with more up-to date
> hardware first
> --

No, please help me with what I have. The pot of gold is always on the
other side of the rainbow, I know. Windows is the same way (each new
release is progressively better); but the sign of a good OS is if it
works now, with what I got.

Please help.

RL