From: RayLopez99 on
On Jun 10, 4:07 pm, Mike Easter <Mi...(a)ster.invalid> wrote:
> William Poaster wrote:
> > Mike Easter wrote:
>
> >> ... RL trollishly started the thread in 3 groups
>
> > You'll note he uses a pirated version of windoze too.
>
> How/where would I note /that/?
>
> --
> Mike Easter

Mike don't waste your time with William (Bill) (im)Poaster--he's the
net nanny and grammatarian of C.O.L.A.--the kind of guy who
periodically posts the FAQ for COLA, as if anybody reads that thing.

He's a straight laced guy it appears though, and in real life might be
a pleasant enough fellow--I peg him as a possible minister or some
such--though from his spreading of wild rumours about people I doubt
he's really a man of the cloth. Probably an old man with too much
time on his hands.

Anyhow, I admitted that I bought my (fully functional) copy of Vista
Ultimate in Bangkok, Thailand for USD $5, and told people at COLA
this, that's how he knows. It was 'legal' in Thailand--bought it in a
store and even came shrink wrapped. But it did not look as authentic
(hologram etc) as stuff I've seen in China first hand--they have
perfected the art of copying--actually I think it's really genuine but
'grey goods'--in China.

RL
From: RayLopez99 on
On Jun 10, 11:18 pm, ray <r...(a)zianet.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 19:43:19 -0700, RayLopez99 wrote:
> > On Jun 11, 12:30 am, ray <r...(a)zianet.com> wrote:
> >> I don't understand why you insist on making things more complicated
> >> than they are.
>
> >> First choice - your package manager for whatever distro you run - it
> >> will fully install your choices.
>
> > OK, got that. Saw the link--I was on the wrong link (wrong page)
> > before.
>
> >> If you 'need' something not in the repository, you have several
> >> choices.
>
> > Aha! This is confusing. I'm not logged in yet, but it would help if
> > you could please explain what it means "not in the repository". Is
> > there a recommended list of programs "in the repository" that you should
> > first check out before installing some third party software in Damn
> > Small Linux? I have no problems with that, BTW. It limits your choices
> > but it also is safer since you know the "repository" programs will work
> > with your distro.
>
> > RL
>
> The repository is simply the collection of all programs you can install
> directly from your package manager. If it's not in the repository (I'm
> not familiar with DSL - but with Debian you can add additional
> repositories) then the package manager does not know about it. There may
> or may not be a way to use the package manager to install a package you
> download that is not in the repositories - Debian can do that - again,
> I'm not familiar with DSL - but I believe it is (or was) Debian based -
> so it should. The Debian package manager also has a facility to search
> for a particular application in the repositories - search by name; search
> by description and name; several other more obscure searches as well.
>
> This really isn't rocket science. Start up your package manager and work
> with it.

OK thanks for that information. I was able to find the D.S.L
repository, and it did have a bunch of programs "waiting to be
installed" so that makes sense.

BTW if you know how to make your left mouse button your right (D.S.L.
somehow switched them on me--it's hard now to remember your right
mouse button is really your left) pls let me know.

RL
From: jellybean stonerfish on
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 19:40:19 -0700, RayLopez99 wrote:

> And thanks for your meager help. I'll find something else to ask about
> later, assuming, as is always likely with hobbyware, I cannot figure out
> how to install something. Already I'm unclear about what a 'repository'
> of installations is, but I surmise it must be recommended software that
> fits with the D.S.L. system requirements or some such. Proving that you
> cannot, like in Windows, install any third-party software in your Linux
> system. It has to be from an "approved" list. But I'll cross that
> bridge when I complain about it.
>
> RL

You can install whatever you like. If you want to install a
package that was compiled by your distro, us your distro's
version from your distro's package manager. If you want to
install a different version, or something that isn't in your
distro's repository, then you need to get the package from
someplace else. Perhaps you would get it from the author of the
software. For example; http://www.gimp.org/downloads for gimp,
http://www.xaraxtreme.org/download.html for xaralx, or
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ for the flash plugin. Some
authors do not distribute compiled versions of their software.
In these cases you get the source code and compile it, following
it's instructions.

You can even execute (make run, not make dead) some of your windows
programs on your dsl system, with the 'wine' package.

From: Aragorn on
On Thursday 10 June 2010 22:07 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody
identifying as Mike Easter wrote...

> William Poaster wrote:
>
>> Mike Easter wrote:
>
> >> ... RL trollishly started the thread in 3 groups
>
>> You'll note he uses a pirated version of windoze too.
>>
> How/where would I note /that/?

Apparently the troll has already admitted to that himself, and in thathe
is not alone. I distinctly remember from my days on C.O.L.A. that most
of the anti-GNU/Linux Windroids in there used pirated software and brag
about that.

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: William Poaster on
Aragorn wrote:

> On Thursday 10 June 2010 22:07 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody
> identifying as Mike Easter wrote...
>
>> William Poaster wrote:

>>> You'll note he uses a pirated version of windoze too.
>>>
>> How/where would I note /that/?
>
> Apparently the troll has already admitted to that himself, and in thathe
> is not alone. I distinctly remember from my days on C.O.L.A. that most
> of the anti-GNU/Linux Windroids in there used pirated software and brag
> about that.

Indeed they did.
--
FreeBSD 8.0 64-bit