From: RayLopez99 on
On Jun 11, 12:30 am, ray <r...(a)zianet.com> wrote:
> I don't understand why you insist on making things more complicated than
> they are.
>
> First choice - your package manager for whatever distro you run - it will
> fully install your choices.

OK, got that. Saw the link--I was on the wrong link (wrong page)
before.

> If you 'need' something not in the repository, you have several choices.

Aha! This is confusing. I'm not logged in yet, but it would help if
you could please explain what it means "not in the repository". Is
there a recommended list of programs "in the repository" that you
should first check out before installing some third party software in
Damn Small Linux? I have no problems with that, BTW. It limits your
choices but it also is safer since you know the "repository" programs
will work with your distro.

RL
From: RayLopez99 on
On Jun 11, 1:10 am, Baho Utot <baho-u...(a)invalid.com> wrote:

> www.google.com/linux is your friend

No it's not. Too much information. And I'll tell you somebody else
that's not my friend, amigo: YOU.

<PLONK>

RL
From: J G Miller on
On Thursday, June 10th, 2010 at 19:40:19 -0700h,
RayLopez99 trolled even more:

> The confusion was because of YOUR truncated link.

No the link I provided was not truncated.

> Proving that you cannot, like in Windows, install any third-party
> software in your Linux system.

Utter nonsense.

___________________________
/| /| | |
||__|| | Please don't |
/ O O\__ feed |
/ \ the trolls |
/ \ \ |
/ _ \ \ ----------------------
/ |\____\ \ ||
/ | | | |\____/ ||
/ \|_|_|/ | __||
/ / \ |____| ||
/ | | /| | --|
| | |// |____ --|
* _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
*-- _--\ _ \ // |
/ _ \\ _ // | /
* / \_ /- | - | |
* ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

From: ray on
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 19:43:19 -0700, RayLopez99 wrote:

> On Jun 11, 12:30 am, ray <r...(a)zianet.com> wrote:
>> I don't understand why you insist on making things more complicated
>> than they are.
>>
>> First choice - your package manager for whatever distro you run - it
>> will fully install your choices.
>
> OK, got that. Saw the link--I was on the wrong link (wrong page)
> before.
>

>> If you 'need' something not in the repository, you have several
>> choices.
>
> Aha! This is confusing. I'm not logged in yet, but it would help if
> you could please explain what it means "not in the repository". Is
> there a recommended list of programs "in the repository" that you should
> first check out before installing some third party software in Damn
> Small Linux? I have no problems with that, BTW. It limits your choices
> but it also is safer since you know the "repository" programs will work
> with your distro.
>
> RL

The repository is simply the collection of all programs you can install
directly from your package manager. If it's not in the repository (I'm
not familiar with DSL - but with Debian you can add additional
repositories) then the package manager does not know about it. There may
or may not be a way to use the package manager to install a package you
download that is not in the repositories - Debian can do that - again,
I'm not familiar with DSL - but I believe it is (or was) Debian based -
so it should. The Debian package manager also has a facility to search
for a particular application in the repositories - search by name; search
by description and name; several other more obscure searches as well.

This really isn't rocket science. Start up your package manager and work
with it.
From: RayLopez99 on
On Jun 10, 12:58 pm, Mike Easter <Mi...(a)ster.invalid> wrote:
> RayLopez99 wrote:
> > J G Miller
> >> If you only need to prepare and read documents, have you considered
> >> abiword instead?
> > Yes, I would like to try this program. Can you please tell me how to
> > install it?
>
> You need to -1- identify your mobo -2- upgrade your ram a little or a
> lot -3- Use the abiword in myDSL (in this current scenario) and see if
> it works
>
> Note that according to Robert Shingledecker (the mydsl guru), abiword
> wants 8.5 meg which is a little more than you have left with your paltry
> 46 megs of ram according to the DSL System Stats you posted earlier.
>
> If you want a graphical interface and enough ram to even think about
> running OpenOffice (or an old MS Word under a MS OS for that matter),
> you need more ram.
>
> So, then besides upgrading your ram according to your unknown mobo,
> considering your target user (you) and target docs (MS Word), you should
> consider using pclite w2k or pclite w98se or puppy linux + AbiWord if
> you have/get about 128meg, or any linux you like and OO if you have/get
> 512 meg.
>
> --
> Mike Easter

OK, thanks Mike. For this other machine, which will have more power
(true Pentium II, not a mere Pentium I like this machine, 256MB or 512
MB RAM), I will install Puppy Linux. Does Puppy Linux support which
popular printers? All this girl needs locally is a basic popular
inkjet printer. I will get her to use something like Beavor for the
text editor--I found out Google apps requires a bit more power than
her machine will have. She does not care--her docs (in Word now, but
I'll convert them to .RTF) are far and few between and usually one one
page long.

PS--somehow--I'll make this a separate thread too--D.S.L switched my
mouse buttons--left is now right. All I did was run a program that
speeds up the mouse buttons, but somehow they got changed. Will keep
playing around to get it back--but I might have to edit some text
files--any advice appreciated, though it's not a big deal (getting
used to it now! Lol).

Also, on bootup these files fail to load, but I don't notice anything
critical:
"can't locate module XFS"
"... hts"
"...minix"

What does that mean?

BTW, you can note from the header I'm posting from Linux now...

RL