From: Herbert Kleebauer on
hutch-- wrote:

> Come on Wannabee, pull your pants back up and start eating that hat.
> Herbert cannot save you no matter how much bullsh*t he tried to pass
> at them.
>
> > Not according to the answer Herbert got from Microsoft Germany you cant.
>
> Poor Herbert has been ignored for YEARS by Microsoft because he was a
> repeated nuisance.

That's not true. They told me, they would speak to me only if I'm
from USA or Canada otherwise I have to contact the local Microsoft
department. And THEY forwarded my mail to Microsoft Germany and
Microsoft Germany told me "the usage of this tool in this way is
not allowed".

18.09.2004 |
-----------+
Mail from piracy(a)microsoft.com with the content:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the Microsoft Anti-Piracy Team.

We would like to talk to you concerning this situation, for U.S. and
Canada, please contact us at 1-800-RU-LEGIT (1-800-785-3448) and select
option number 4.

For any other region, please provide us with your location so we may
forward your information to the appropriate department.

You may also visit our Internet site on http://www.microsoft.com/piracy
and http://www.howtotell.com to review additional information on
recognizing genuine Microsoft product and Microsoft's licensing
policies.

Again, thank you for your interest in our anti-piracy campaign.

Microsoft Corporation
Worldwide Sales Group

20.09.2004 |
-----------+
Mail to piracy(a)microsoft.com with the information, that I'm not
from U.S. or Canada and all I want is a authoritative YES or NO
to the question: Is it legal to download the Microsoft assembler
MASM32 from one of the links given in http://www.masm32.com .

21.09.2004 |
-----------+
Autoreply from piracy(a)microsoft.com to acknowledge the
receipt of the mail.

23.09.2004 |
-----------+
Autoreply from msdeap(a)microsoft.com (Germany) to acknowledge
the receipt of the mail.

(Seems Microsoft USA has forwarded my mail to Microsoft Germany)

04.11.2004 |
-----------+
Mail from msdeap(a)microsoft.com (Microsoft Germany) with the content:

Sehr geehrter Herr Kleebauer,

vielen Dank f�r Ihre Mail.

Ich habe heute erneut mit unserer Rechtsabteilung gesprochen
und nun folgende Antwort erhalten:

Deine Anwort an den Kunden �Nach unserer Recherche spricht
nichts gegen die Verwendung von dem auf dieser Seite angebotenem
Tool. Es werden von Seiten Microsoft keine Rechte verletzt.�
stimmt so leider nicht. Denn, wie die US-Kollegen ganz richtig
angemerkt haben: � Unfortunately, we do not permit third party
distribution of kits.� Damit ist gemeint, dass das Downloadangebot
� sprich: Distribution - dieser Microsoft-Software von Dritten
nicht gestattet ist. Weiter im Text heisst es � Archival copies
of kits are available through MSDN subscription.� Das bedeutet,
dass auch Microsoft dieses Tool nicht kostenlos zur Verf�gung
stellt, sondern nur im Rahmen eines (nat�rlich kostenpflichtigen)
MSDN-Abos.

Die Antwort, welche Sie aus den USA erhalten haben war somit
schon richtig, die Nutzung dieses Tools in dieser Form ist nicht
gestattet.

Ich hoffe, Ihre Frage ist hiermit beantwortet worden.

Bei weiteren Fragen stehen wir Ihnen gerne zur Verf�gung.

Mit freundlichen Gr��en
Monika Minisini
Microsoft Deutschland GmbH
Copyright Division

Email: msdeap(a)microsoft.com

From: Herbert Kleebauer on
Frank Kotler wrote:
> hutch-- wrote:

> > Frank is not authorised to post my code,
>
> DING! Game over.

And Wannabee also isn't allowed to post the improved version,
because it still is based on his code which isn't allowed to
be published?
From: hutch-- on
Poor Herbert,

> That's not true. They told me, they would speak to me only if I'm
> from USA or Canada otherwise I have to contact the local Microsoft
> department. And THEY forwarded my mail to Microsoft Germany and
> Microsoft Germany told me "the usage of this tool in this way is
> not allowed".

This translates into "You got the shove" for making a pest of
yourself. Note the date of your emails are about 3 years old. Did you
get a reply from repporting Microsoft for pirating their own
software ?

> Microsoft Germany told me "the usage of this tool in this way is
> not allowed".

This statement contradicts the Microsoft EULA for the particular
versions of ML.EXE, LINK.EXE etc ...

"1. GRANT OF LICENSE. This EULA grants you the following limited, non-
exclusive rights:
* SOFTWARE PRODUCT. You may make, install and use up to a maximum of
ten (10) copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT on computers, including
workstations, terminals or other digital electronic devices, residing
on your premises, to design, develop, and test software products,
including but not limited to device drivers and other software
products ("Application(s)") for use with Microsoft Windows and/or
Windows NT."

Now here is your choice, EITHER you have fed Microsoft bullsh*t or you
have mistranslated the kraut email at the end of your posting (noting
this is an English language newsgroup).

Microsoft US has verified the enclosed EULA and they did not need your
approval to do so.

This leaves the informed reader with a simple choice, do they accept
the legal garrantee from Microsoft with a legally valid EULA granting
them rights of use of software or do they take the opinion of Herbert
Kleebauer who on the weight of his own authority say you cannot ?

Will you help poor Wannabee chew his hat now ?

From: hutch-- on
Poor Herbert,

From: Frank Kotler on
Herbert Kleebauer wrote:
> Frank Kotler wrote:
>
>>hutch-- wrote:

>>>Frank is not authorised to post my code,
>>
>>DING! Game over.
>

> And Wannabee also isn't allowed to post the improved version,
> because it still is based on his code which isn't allowed to
> be published?

And you're not authorized to post any executable under 1024 bytes!!! :)
They're "illegal", y'know!

For two cents, I'd post Hutch's code anyway. What's he going to do? Sue
me? *That* would be profitable! :) But I'm not that kind of guy...
usually...

Best,
Frank