From: //o//annabee on
P� Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:45:11 +0100, skrev CodeMonk <jascwa(a)yahoo.com>:

> //\\o//\\annabee wrote:
>> He just wanted the answer they had. He wanted the facts. Which clearly
>> stated it was illegal to DOWNLOAD the MASM distribution from your site.
>>

> OK then. Assuming what you say is true, then can you not download it
> directly from Microsoft? I understand the purist C-Side-Toy
> perspective, but is it legal to download MASM?

You must ask someone else. Much more interessting to me is if it ethical
todo so. And by me, it is not. M$ is not only in support of pushing
consequences of piracy to users, they are the source of this. It is a
massive tool for them by which to defeat competition even before the users
can evaluate the competing products. Its more like if we had a law for
fishermen, saying that it is the customers fault if the fisher was
catching the fish in an illegal zone. A single fisher, he could maybe not
even afford to met for the courtdesision. He would have to sell his house
just to met up in court for a few days to try to argue againt a team of 30
shark lawyers that he was infact fishing legally in an allowed zone. So
the customer would naturally choose to make himself safe by buying his
fish with the larger salesman. Because if the smaller one would loose in
court, the customer becomes responsible. This is just the way _i_ view
this. I, like so many others small fish, have not the resources for
completly verifying the facts. So what is happening here, is that the
customer is scared into fly where the larger sharks are going, because
that is his safest _bet_. He have no hope other the betting. All his
rights are taken completly away, by just downloading a product. This is
imo a crime. And it is organized. So it is organized crime.
Crime&co&friends... M$ is at the head of this game, and it is therefore
deeply unethical to buy or register for M$ products, if you ask me.

> Would not Microsoft there provide any justification for their position?
> Since Herbert didn't actually post his questions, only the responses,
> it's a little difficult to know what they were even responding to.
> Maybe they were confused by the question - to vague, to much info, etc.
>
> Even so, since one could clearly assume that at least one of the MASM
> team at Microsoft would surely lurk here, why would they not just post
> an official statement and clear this point of contention?

Microsoft do not care that you are breaking the law. Does not care about
small fish. They dont care about your ethics. As long as it is of no
consequence to them. Herbert is asking them to be descent, all follow
their own rules. I guess he never expected them to actually do so. Neither
did I, neither did Hutch, of course. This does not free you from
responsibility of your actions, only from the legal consequences.

From: //o//annabee on
P� Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:13:06 +0100, skrev CodeMonk <jascwa(a)yahoo.com>:

> Betov wrote:
>> 1) He is right with being affraid of downloading illegal stuff.
>>

> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7A1C9DA0-0510-44A2-B042-7EF370530C64&displaylang=en
>
> Ok, I'm fairly certain there wouldn't be any issues of legality there.

Cant you read?

" This installation requires the Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition to be
installed on the computer."

From: CodeMonk on
Betov wrote:

> As you like, but this is not the topic.

Right. It's "HAY Herbert, wanna write a legal PE executable ?" And
if you'd stop beating around the bush and actually post, I dunno,
maybe a paragraph, I might actually understand what the point is.

Either way, as you like, I'm headed to the Waffle House. All this
waffling is making me hungry.

- Scott
From: //o//annabee on
P� Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:14:28 +0100, skrev Betov <betov(a)free.fr>:

> CodeMonk <jascwa(a)yahoo.com> �crivait news:8EdFi.39493$wN3.23574
> @bignews2.bellsouth.net:
>
>> OK then. Assuming what you say is true, then can you not download it
>> directly from Microsoft? I understand the purist C-Side-Toy
>> perspective, but is it legal to download MASM?
>
> Yes, MASM is available legally from MicroSoft, inside huge
> bullshits packages. This does not mean that it is legal to
> *REDISTRIBUTE* any MicroSoft product.

Neither does it means "free". For me it means to upgrade my PC. It will
cost me like $400 or so todo so.

"
System Requirements
Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 3; Windows Server
2003; Windows XP Service Pack 2
Required Software:
>>> Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition <<<<
"

Also.

"This download is for non-commercial use only, see the EULA during
installation for more details."

How "free" is that?

> The challenge is not about having MASM or not. The challenge
> that he has taken, and that he refuses to assume, is to POST
> HIS COMPLETE EXAMPLES SOURCES.

right, that is the real issue here !!

From: Ratch on

"Betov" <betov(a)free.fr> wrote in message
> "Ratch" <watchit(a)comcast.net> �crivait
>
>> What is everyone squawking about? You can download MASM "legally"
>> from MS.
>
> And then? Does it make MicroSoft property Public Domain?

No, but you can use it.

>> They are giving it away.
>
> No Thanks. This is not the topic.

Not the topic, the solution.

>> Then download just the code Hutch
>> wrote from his site.
>
> Impossible: This is illegal. Also, this it not the topic,
> and not the challenge that his has taken, and refuses to
> assume.

It is not illegal to download code he wrote from his site. If I owned
a site, would it be illegal to download code I wrote my site too. People
download code everywhere. It's legal.

>> Then have at it.
>
> At what? Where is Hutch-written *complete* Assembly first
> Source, that he is suyppose to show, *here*?

At his site. Ignore the "illegal MASM' written by MS, and take only
what he and others wrote.

Ratch