From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
Scan your computer and make sure that you do not have any Viruses and or
Spyware running in the background.
When it is clean, try this process.
http://www.ezlan.net/infestation.html#refreshnet
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

From: Unknown on
Not entirely true. It depends on the infection.

From: HeyBub on
Bill in Co. wrote:
> Yes, I know you said that, but I asked specifically about what would
> be the consequences of running System Restore in more detail, Peter
> (see below).

Because Restore doesn't add or delete ordinary files. Restore snapshots the
Registry and backs up dynamic system files, unsigned drivers, automatic
updates, and the like. It does not touch what it thinks are "application"
programs, nor does it fool with "data."

From: Bill in Co. on
HeyBub wrote:
> Bill in Co. wrote:
>> Yes, I know you said that, but I asked specifically about what would
>> be the consequences of running System Restore in more detail, Peter
>> (see below).
>
> Because Restore doesn't add or delete ordinary files. Restore snapshots
> the
> Registry and backs up dynamic system files, unsigned drivers, automatic
> updates, and the like. It does not touch what it thinks are "application"
> programs, nor does it fool with "data."

I was under the impression System Restore monitored ALL exe, dll, com, and
the like, files. In other words, all potentially problematic files.
(Excluded would be things like text files, for example).

In fact, I'm pretty sure it does this, since if you've ever added any such
files to your HD, and then done a System Restore back prior to that point in
time, you will lose them all, UNLESS those files were saved in the personal
folders, like Documents and Settings, My Documents.

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 17:54:55 -0700, "Bill in Co."
<not_really_here(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

> HeyBub wrote:
> > Bill in Co. wrote:
> >> Yes, I know you said that, but I asked specifically about what would
> >> be the consequences of running System Restore in more detail, Peter
> >> (see below).
> >
> > Because Restore doesn't add or delete ordinary files. Restore snapshots
> > the
> > Registry and backs up dynamic system files, unsigned drivers, automatic
> > updates, and the like. It does not touch what it thinks are "application"
> > programs, nor does it fool with "data."
>
> I was under the impression System Restore monitored ALL exe, dll, com, and
> the like, files.

No, it doesn't do this at all. It's *System* Restore. What it monitors
is *system* files only. Application files like exes, dlls, etc. are
not monitored.

> In other words, all potentially problematic files.
> (Excluded would be things like text files, for example).
>
> In fact, I'm pretty sure it does this, since if you've ever added any such
> files to your HD, and then done a System Restore back prior to that point in
> time, you will lose them all, UNLESS those files were saved in the personal
> folders, like Documents and Settings, My Documents.

No, not even if they are saved there.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup