From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on

cf. http://bertk.mvps.org/html/filesfolders.html

From: Daave on
Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 17:54:55 -0700, "Bill in Co."
> <not_really_here(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> HeyBub wrote:
>>>
>>> Because Restore doesn't add or delete ordinary files. Restore
>>> snapshots the
>>> Registry and backs up dynamic system files, unsigned drivers,
>>> automatic updates, and the like. It does not touch what it thinks
>>> are "application" programs, nor does it fool with "data."
>>
>> I was under the impression System Restore monitored ALL exe, dll,
>> com, and the like, files.
>

> No, it doesn't do this at all. It's *System* Restore. What it monitors
> is *system* files only. Application files like exes, dlls, etc. are
> not monitored.

See the link PA Bear posted:

http://bertk.mvps.org:80/html/filesfolders.html

They are monitored (unless they are located in a non-monitored folder).

>> In other words, all potentially problematic files.
>> (Excluded would be things like text files, for example).
>>
>> In fact, I'm pretty sure it does this, since if you've ever added
>> any such files to your HD, and then done a System Restore back prior
>> to that point in time, you will lose them all, UNLESS those files
>> were saved in the personal folders, like Documents and Settings, My
>> Documents.
>

> No, not even if they are saved there.

Maybe the term "monitored" is causing confusion. If you download an
installation file (.exe) to your desktop and perform a System Restore to
a time before you downloaded it there, it will be gone. If you place it
in your My Documents folder however, "Bill in Co" is correct; it will
remain there after a System Restore(becuase even though .exe files are
normally monitored, they are not monitored if they are in a
non-monitored folder). You can confirm this yourself if you wish.

From: Bill in Co. on
Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 17:54:55 -0700, "Bill in Co."
> <not_really_here(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> HeyBub wrote:
>>>
>>> Because Restore doesn't add or delete ordinary files. Restore snapshots
>>> the
>>> Registry and backs up dynamic system files, unsigned drivers, automatic
>>> updates, and the like. It does not touch what it thinks are
>>> "application"
>>> programs, nor does it fool with "data."
>>
>> I was under the impression System Restore monitored ALL exe, dll, com,
>> and
>> the like, files.
>

> No, it doesn't do this at all. It's *System* Restore. What it monitors
> is *system* files only. Application files like exes, dlls, etc. are
> not monitored.

Beg to disagree, Ken. Those are monitored (and see the links posted
since).

>> In other words, all potentially problematic files.
>> (Excluded would be things like text files, for example).
>>
>> In fact, I'm pretty sure it does this, since if you've ever added any
>> such
>> files to your HD, and then done a System Restore back prior to that point
>> in time, you will lose them all, UNLESS those files were saved in the
>> personal folders, like Documents and Settings, My Documents.

correction: or a few other unmonitored directories.

> No, not even if they are saved there.

I beg to disagree, Ken. :-)
Check it out and see. BTDT regarding the above (unless my computer is
unique. :-)

From: Bill in Co. on
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Bill in Co. wrote:
>> I was under the impression System Restore monitored ALL exe, dll, com,
>> and
>> the like, files. In other words, all potentially problematic files.
>> (Excluded would be things like text files, for example).
>>
>> In fact, I'm pretty sure it does this, since if you've ever added any
>> such
>> files to your HD, and then done a System Restore back prior to that point
>> in time, you will lose them all, UNLESS those files were saved in the
>> personal folders, like Documents and Settings, My Documents.
>
> cf. http://bertk.mvps.org/html/filesfolders.html

Thanks for the link. That confirms what I was saying, except that I didn't
realize there were several other unmonitored directories too.

From: Bill in Co. on
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Bill in Co. wrote:
>> I was under the impression System Restore monitored ALL exe, dll, com,
>> and the like, files. In other words, all potentially problematic files.
>> (Excluded would be things like text files, for example).
>>
>> In fact, I'm pretty sure it does this, since if you've ever added any
>> such
>> files to your HD, and then done a System Restore back prior to that point
>> in time, you will lose them all, UNLESS those files were saved in the
>> personal folders, like Documents and Settings, My Documents.
>
> cf. http://bertk.mvps.org/html/filesfolders.html

I just noticed that that page seems to have at least one error in it. For
example, it says:
List of folders that System Restores Monitors in Windows XP
*:\Documents And Settings\*\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Quick Launch c:\placeholder\ph.dll
That's not a list of folders!

But here is what I found on the Microsoft web site
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/app_system_restore_hss_understand.mspx

(on System Restore):
For example, if you accidentally delete monitored program files (such as
files that have the .exe or .dll file name extensions), or monitored program
files become corrupted, you can restore your computer to a state that
existed before those changes occurred.

By default, System Restore monitors and restores all partitions and drives
on your computer. It also monitors all installations of applications or
drivers that users perform through delivery mechanisms such as CD-ROM,
floppy disk, Systems Management Server (SMS), or IntelliMirror.

Restores your computer without losing your personal files:

System Restore does not cause you to lose your personal files or password.
Items like documents, e-mail messages, browsing history, and the last
specified password are saved when you revert to an earlier state with System
Restore.

System Restore protects your personal files by not restoring any files in
the My Documents folder. It also does not restore any files that use common
data file name extensions, such as .doc or .xls. If you're not sure whether
your personal files use common data file name extensions, and you do not
want the data files to be affected by System Restore, save them in the My
Documents folder.