From: Rob on
John H Meyers wrote:
> > Right on! But who wants to need a week's study to find out
> how to even be able to start using a major selling feature?

Exactly. I did read that part of the manual, but geez, why couldn't
-117SF be included in the code for the solv button instead of making me
do it?

It's the same equation library I've been using for years, and I never
had to set flag 117 before. It's stupid.

Furthermore, as of right now, I STILL have not set flag 117, and it
works. HOW DID IT GET SET? Don't know? Me either, but it works.

From: Jean-Yves Avenard on
John H Meyers wrote:
> I don't even have a manual (neither printed nor CD :)
That's because you didn't buy your HP50G either

> $$$ Millions have been made (and lost)
> on issues of making things easier (and foolproof),
> even "for dummies," and I think that the above approach
> is not that which has produced the most millionaires.
Well Microsoft Windows sells more than Apple MacOS....
you need more than one manual to understand why Windows is acting the
way it does (provided there's a logical explanation for some of its
behaviour, which I doubt sometimes)

Jean-Yves
From: Jean-Yves Avenard on
Virgil wrote:
> I second the motion!
I estimate that it will take me a week to write and test a new UI for
the solver so it works with the existing GUI...

Will you and John fork the bill? :)

JY
From: Rob on
ummm...do you work for HP? If so, didn't we already "fork the bill" by
paying for one of your new machines? I mean, when I bought the thing,
never did it say anywhere in the marketing material that I'd have to
not only remember which flag to set, but also set it manually everytime
I wanted to use the solver for the eqlib. Then, I also have to un-set
it when I want choos?

Based on my (several) past purchases of HP calculators that had this
exact same eqlib, I just expected it to work.

Also, as long as we're talking about bills, how about HP coughing up
the $150 or so I paid for that POS HP49G+? I understand that the
keyboard was fixed later on, but mine was nearly unusable, as I could
never count on a button click getting the number put on the stack. I
usually just ended up using my 10 year old calc from Radio Shack. It's
painful (without RPN), but it's rock solid.

You can take the softmenu code fix out of that pile of my money.

From: John H Meyers on
On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 21:48:37 -0500:

> you need more than one manual to understand Windows

No, I've never read a Windows manual!

The idea, after all, is not to *understand*
but to *use* it -- just to press a button
and start using, without mysteriously just exiting
and saying nothing, like a brand new car which won't start.

"Unlike all other cars on market, which you can just get in
and drive, this car you have to first reset a circuit breaker,
which is right on first page of Chapter 12 of owner's manual"

Oh well, there's no interest in a slight update; I give up!

[r->] [OFF]