From: John H Meyers on
On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 21:49:56 -0500, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> I estimate that it will take me a week to write and test
> a new UI for the solver so it works with the existing GUI...
>
> Will you and John fork the bill? :)

When "SOLV" starts (or even when xEQNLIB starts), insert:

BINT117 SetSysFlag

There -- took me less than a week :)

By the way, is there any way to use
either MES (MSOLVR) or 30 MENU in ALGebraic mode?
(I may just be incompetent, but I can't seem to do either);
if not, then please consider appending: BINT95 ClrSysFlag

Actually, I've just discovered something completely different:

[ROM 2.09 and "new" Equation libs]

Solver fails to start properly (as observed) with:
-117 CF then APPS > Equation Library > EQN Library > EQNLIB ... [SOLV]

But NO problem at all with this more direct route:
-117 CF EQNLIB ... [SOLV]

Hey, how come that happen?

Does the problem really lie somewhere else than with flag -117 ???

[r->] [OFF]
From: John H Meyers on
On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 21:58:40 -0500, Rob wrote:

> ummm...do[es JYA] work for HP?

No, HP dissolved the ACO group,
and JYA went on (with others from former ACO)
to found his own company: http://www.hydrix.com,
which seems only to have had various contracts with HP:
http://www.hydrix.com/pages/body/about/history_tiles.jsp

So JYA can't possibly be responsible for anything wrong with HP49G+/50G
(which deprives him as well of much due credit for what is right with it :)

[r->] [OFF]
From: Jean-Yves Avenard on
Rob wrote:
> ummm...do you work for HP? If so, didn't we already "fork the bill" by
> paying for one of your new machines? I mean, when I bought the thing,
I certainly don't ..

And I certainly didn't get pay for that either !

JY
From: Jean-Yves Avenard on
John H Meyers wrote:

> When "SOLV" starts (or even when xEQNLIB starts), insert:
>
> BINT117 SetSysFlag
That's an ugly solution, because as soon as you start the the solver
from the EQNLIB you're actually leaving the EQN library.
Therefore the -117 flag will be set forever.

What I'm suggesting is depending on the flag -117, I either start the
old solver based on soft menus, or I start the new graphical solver
filling all the Inform field...

> There -- took me less than a week :)
Apple and Orange ..

> By the way, is there any way to use
> either MES (MSOLVR) or 30 MENU in ALGebraic mode?
> (I may just be incompetent, but I can't seem to do either);
> if not, then please consider appending: BINT95 ClrSysFlag
>
> Actually, I've just discovered something completely different:
>
> [ROM 2.09 and "new" Equation libs]
>
> Solver fails to start properly (as observed) with:
> -117 CF then APPS > Equation Library > EQN Library > EQNLIB ... [SOLV]
>
> But NO problem at all with this more direct route:
> -117 CF EQNLIB ... [SOLV]
>
> Hey, how come that happen?
You can't change soft menus unless you go back in the HOME view.

> Does the problem really lie somewhere else than with flag -117 ???
Yes, the EQNLIB is a program designed for the HP48 using all 48G entry
points. It was quickly ported to the 49G and doesn't use any of the
available new architecture...

Jean-Yves
From: andreas_moellerNOSPAM@gmx.de on
Just as a short reminider:

There *is* a different equation library as an alternative.

It uses the available new architecture and runs in algebraic mode or
rpn, doesn´t need any flag settings and depending on system flag 30
the solver is chosen (SX or GX style). The MES is also supported and if
the GX-Solver is chosen it behaves like the new inform box engine
allowing rapid data input by entering all required data in the editline
and then pressing enter will fill each field in the input form. It is
ROM-independent running on any ROM since 1.19-6 on all machines
(49G/49G+/50G).

It´s fast and the usage is intuitive, the look and feel is based on
the filer, so it nicly integrates in the whole system.

A major advantage is the possibility to easily create your own
collection of formulas dircetly on the calc, which is only possible
otherwise if you know system-rpl.
You only need basic knowledge of the calc (which you´ll need anyway if
want to work with it) for the editor.

And, of course, there is a written documentation.

So, if this is a major selling feature of the 49G+/50G you might wanna
give it a try and have a look at
http://www.software49g.gmxhome.de

All right, you might wanna say: that guy want´s something for it. But
where the heck is the sense in spending money for something that
doesn´t work? And sure JYA is right in saying that wants to get paid
if working for HP and helping them to sell their calcs, we all have to
pay our bills ;-)

Greetings
Andreas