From: Steen Schmidt on
Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> Steen Schmidt wrote:
> > Takes 0.05 seconds on the HP50G. It would be cool if the NSpire
> > could be coded in C or C++ for sure, but I believe the OS is too
> > limited to realize the full potential of such programming.
> Why that?
>
> You can do C/C++ without any OS if you wanted to.

I'm thinking about the integration of the C++ program with the
exisiting system. How would you benefit from a faster implementation of
the factorial function for instance, when you still can't represent the
output of 300! exact when you return from the C++ program?

You can do games and such, but when you need to do some data IO with
the OS (even a plotter app does that), you're bound by the limitations
of the existing OS (data types, argument ranges, file structure etc).

Regards
Steen
From: Michael Kuyumcu on
Hi,

I just retried
"seq(seq(1/(sqrt(2*i+1)+I*sqrt(2*j+1)),i,1,4),j,1,4)^-1", and now it
works, except that the calc answers with "Errro: singular matrix" after
a second or so. The same error message is given for
"seq(seq(1/(sqrt(2*i+1)+I*sqrt(2*j+1)),i,1,3),j,1,3)^-1". Is this a
singular matrix? Well, let's see:

I evaluated:
"seq(seq(1/(sqrt(2*i+1)+I*sqrt(2*j+1)),i,1,3),j,1,3)"
(the result was there in a fraction of a second)
and then
"det(ans)"
which yielded "0"

So if the determinant determination algorithm works correctly, this
indeed is an impossible problem.

When I want to find out how long a certain operation takes, can I use
any TIMING measuring function? I haven't found anything in the PC
software reference guide which claims to be 100% compatible. Do you
know of any method?

There is no "variable manager", no.

"approx(randmat(60,60))" still works,
so the mentioned memory limit seems to have been removed.

> So it is possible to have as many document as possible,
> And within each document it is possible to have as many problems as one
> want and one can add up to 4 applications to a problem,right ?

Right. I just tested that.

Do you happen to know whether there are user-written or commercial
packages available for the TI-92 or Voyage series that do
multiple-precision math on floating point numbers (like with 900 digits
or such) written in machine language? I find it extremely limited that
the nspire fails to calculate 300!, and does not support any floats
with more than 14 digits (internally up to 17). Booooh!

Regards,
Michael Kuyumcu

From: Paul Schlyter on
In article <xn0eqs3flhsnn000(a)news.tele.dk>,
Steen Schmidt <sschmidt(a)nospam.dk> wrote:
>Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>
>> Steen Schmidt wrote:
>> > Takes 0.05 seconds on the HP50G. It would be cool if the NSpire
>> > could be coded in C or C++ for sure, but I believe the OS is too
>> > limited to realize the full potential of such programming.
>> Why that?
>>
>> You can do C/C++ without any OS if you wanted to.
>
>I'm thinking about the integration of the C++ program with the
>exisiting system. How would you benefit from a faster implementation of
>the factorial function for instance, when you still can't represent the
>output of 300! exact when you return from the C++ program?
>
>You can do games and such, but when you need to do some data IO with
>the OS (even a plotter app does that), you're bound by the limitations
>of the existing OS (data types, argument ranges, file structure etc).

If you do C/C++ without any OS, you have no such limitations. I mean,
in such a situation there is no OS; so how could a non-existent OS limit
you?

Otoh you won't have any support from the OS either - your program must,
by itself, directly talk to any hardware you want to use. If you want
to use a harddisk with a file system on it, you're of course bound by that
file system if you want to coexist with other files there -- but it's an
option, not mandatory. You could just read and write raw sectors from
the harddisk if you wanted, or create your own file system.

An application which runs, all by itself without any need of OS support,
is called a stand-alone application. In the early days of the microcomputer,
games or Basic interpreters were often written as stand-alone applications.
From the user's point of view, the Basic interpreter *was* the OS of such
a computer.

>Regards
>Steen

e-mail: pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
WWW: http://stjarnhimlen.se/
From: Steen Schmidt on
Paul Schlyter wrote:

> > You can do games and such, but when you need to do some data IO with
> > the OS (even a plotter app does that), you're bound by the
> > limitations of the existing OS (data types, argument ranges, file
> > structure etc).
>
> If you do C/C++ without any OS, you have no such limitations. I mean,
> in such a situation there is no OS; so how could a non-existent OS
> limit you?

What would you do when you have calculated 10000! ? Would you display
the 35660 digits on the screen for the user to decipher one at a time?
What if the result was to be used by a subsequent calculation? Or let's
say you coded a new symbolic integration engine in C - how would you
output the integral of 'Exp(X^2),X'? The result is
'1/2*Sqrt(pi)*Erfi(X)', but Erfi(X) isn't defined in the TI AMS. You
could code Erfi(X) in C, but the result had to reside temporarily in
the TI OS environment, until the user decides to do something else with
the result (evaluate it numerically or integrate it again etc.). What
object type would Erfi(X) be in this case, inside the TI AMS?

The OS (and its aux sw like parsers, type checkers, CAS etc.) limits
you in what you can return to it or get as arguments from it. On the HP
we have built-in data types for arbitrary precision numbers, arrays of
any type etc. There are libraries with support for user-defined
functions that behave exactly like built-in functions. This is not the
case on the TI - not even on the NSpire. The latter I find
disappointing, as it would be a good time to step up from the silly
limitations of the TI92/92+/V200/89/89ti series.

But TI will probably not do this, as the open structure of the HP OS
opens up for a hornets nest of bug possibilities. If you look at how
flexible the HP OS is - how much is available for the user - then it's
obvious that there's much greater risk of bugs existing therein in
comparison with the closed TI OS.

All the above is moot of course, in the event you'd want to code your
own OS in C/C++. And even in that case, it would probably have to be
done over a couple of times, as you'd probably not succeed in putting
in all the features another programmer wished for, in which case that
other programmer had to code his or her own special OS etc...

Regards
Steen
From: Yao Konan on
Hi Michael,

Michael Kuyumcu a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I just retried
> "seq(seq(1/(sqrt(2*i+1)+I*sqrt(2*j+1)),i,1,4),j,1,4)^-1", and now it
> works, except that the calc answers with "Errro: singular matrix" after
> a second or so. The same error message is given for
> "seq(seq(1/(sqrt(2*i+1)+I*sqrt(2*j+1)),i,1,3),j,1,3)^-1". Is this a
> singular matrix? Well, let's see:

> I evaluated:
> "seq(seq(1/(sqrt(2*i+1)+I*sqrt(2*j+1)),i,1,3),j,1,3)"
> (the result was there in a fraction of a second)
> and then
> "det(ans)"
> which yielded "0"

Doesn't seem to look like a singular matrix but my TI92+ fails to
compute the determinant after over hour so i cancel the
operation.However in approximate mode,it does return a non null complex
expressions.

> So if the determinant determination algorithm works correctly, this
> indeed is an impossible problem.

So we could try with a slighty modifier matrix such as:
seq(seq(1/(sqrt(2*i+1-I*(3*j+2))),i,1,3),j,1,3) which certainly not
singular and which seems to give even more trouble to the TI92+.

> When I want to find out how long a certain operation takes, can I use
> any TIMING measuring function? I haven't found anything in the PC
> software reference guide which claims to be 100% compatible. Do you
> know of any method?

There is one on the TI89T/Voyage 200.
startTmr()->chrono:
Computation:
checkTmr(chrono)
The last instruction will return the timing of the Computation in
seconds.
However it remains to be seen if it works on the TI-Nspire.

> There is no "variable manager", no.

So it shouldn't be easy to manage variables within a document.

> "approx(randmat(60,60))" still works,
> so the mentioned memory limit seems to have been removed.

It seems so.That would explain why some operations which returns a
memory error on the
TI92+ doesn't do the same on the TI-NSpire.

> Do you happen to know whether there are user-written or commercial
> packages available for the TI-92 or Voyage series that do
> multiple-precision math on floating point numbers (like with 900 digits
> or such) written in machine language? I find it extremely limited that
> the nspire fails to calculate 300!, and does not support any floats
> with more than 14 digits (internally up to 17). Booooh!

Unfortunately i am not aware of any match package which add arbitrary
floating point number as well as virtually unlimited number arithmetic
on the TI92 series.
All math packages i know deal with the built-in number arithmetic and
just add functionnality to the calculators.
However if TI want seriously to replace Derive with the TI-NSpire,they
will have to remove all these kinds of limitations.

> Regards,
> Michael Kuyumcu

Best regards.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Prev: HP50g vs. Voyage 200
Next: HPUserEdit crash at launch