From: Yao Konan on
In fact i hope that TI will provide C++ support through the SDK they
will certainly provide for the TI-NSpire.
If they don't than i bet that it would be a matter of time before a
third party provide one.
I am very curious to know what kind of CPU the TI-NSpire has.

For 3D graphing support,i think that soon or late TI will add,otherwise
the TI-NSpire will lack a significant features in front of its main
competitor:The Casio ClassPad,especially if what is rumored about the
ClassPad OS 3.0 is true for 3D parametric surfaces plotting.And while
doing this,i hope that TI will also added basic 3D geometry support to
enable one to work with sphere,cubes,3D curves,etc...
They should perhaps add a 3D Geometry and graphing application ?

Moreover,i hope that TI will also add support for more advanced
functions unless of course the TI-NSpire targets only high school but i
do remember that we were doing quite advanced stuff when i was in hgih
school.For example i cleary remeber that we have done 3D geometry in
high school.
It is true that there are a ton of TI-Basic advanced maths functions
and that with the TI-NSpire speed they should run faster than
competitor built-in functions,but there are
2 catches:
Is it possible to port all TI-Basic math package to the TI-NSpire
especially considering the lack of programs support ?
And more important is it possible to define functions as global
functions availlable through all the documents as from what i have
understood both variables and functions are local to a document ?

From: Yao Konan on

Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Yao Konan wrote:
> > What make you think that the TI-Nspire runs at over 100 Mhz ?
> Being TI they are certainly using a TI ARM9 processor (omap family), all
> of them can go over 100Mhz easily

I am not too sure TI would use TI omap in the TI-NSpire.
I should look for information but it doesn't look as power efficient as
other member of the ARM familly.
And why would TI want to push the CPU to such a high frequency as they
care so much for autonomy ?

> The TI92/89 is known to use an OS and software entirely programed in C.
> So porting this software on N'spire would have been trivial. Much more
> so than HP who would have to rewrite almost 100% of its code base.
>
> The speed difference you're talking about is directly related to the
> speed difference of a 68K processor vs an ARM9

Even for BCD floating point computations ?
Because both of the speed test with the 20*20 matrix involved intensive
BCD floating point computations unless TI use binary floating point
computations and in that case the speed of the TI-NSpire would be a bit
disapointing.

From: Yao Konan on
Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Yao Konan wrote:
> > However i am sure that TI is serious about replacing Derive by
> > TI-NSpire thus either there will be 2 versions of the TI-NSpire or TI
> What make you think that NSpire isn't using the Derive engine?
> it could very well be the same math engine as the TI89/92.

It is the same math engine as the TI89/TI92 and this is where lies the
problem.
TI should have used the PC Derive engine(not the relatively limited
version of the TI89/TI92+) for the TI-NSpire thus providing most
features of Derive to the TI-Nspire.
Something they will have to do anyway as they plan to stop Derive
development and replace it by the TI-Nspire platform.
However it remains to be seen if there won't be two TI-NSpire version
one as limited as the current one for students and more advanced one
which will effectively replace Derive and built from scratch with the
complete Derive CAS engine.
Actually you won't get more CAS functionnalities from the TI-NSpire
than from the TI89TI/Voyage 200 as both use exactly the same CAS a.k.a
the one of the AMS 3.10.

> They must have spent thousands of engineer days writing this software,
> would be crazy not to leverage it in newer machine.

They have leveraged it but not the good version.

From: Michael Kuyumcu on
Hi,

o the taylor series development didn't yield a result after 253
minutes, when I cancelled.
o randmat(60,60) works
o any integer may not be longer than 614 digits. I find that limit
downright silly.
o 300! fails (the nspire responds with "300!"), and 450! fails,too.
That's very limited.
o the (seq...) constructs yields an error message: "Too few arguments"

What do you mean by "managing variables" within a document? You can
define them, undefine them, edit them, redefine them, delete them, view
their contents. You can have as many notes, graphs, calculators and
spreadsheets per document as you like.

Regards,
Michael Kuyumcu

From: Steen Schmidt on
Michael Kuyumcu wrote:

> Interesting: fib(10000) produces an overflow, even in Exact mode,

Rather disappointing. It seems to have maintained the limitations of
the TI89/v200 - it's probably an exact recompile of the core OS used in
those calculators.

> while the CAS seems to be capable of handling multiple-precision
> numbers otherwise with no problems.fib(1000) works, and does so
> within 2 seconds.

Takes 0.05 seconds on the HP50G. It would be cool if the NSpire could
be coded in C or C++ for sure, but I believe the OS is too limited to
realize the full potential of such programming.

Regards
Steen
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Prev: HP50g vs. Voyage 200