From: David Empson on
isw <isw(a)witzend.com> wrote:

> In article <CZ54o.42655$dx7.9216(a)newsfe21.iad>,
> russotto(a)grace.speakeasy.net (Matthew Russotto) wrote:
>
> --snippety-snip --
>
> > Typical lifetime of a lithium-ion battery is about 2 years
>
> I don't believe that for an instant, and my personal experience tells me
> it's wrong, too -- more like four or five years, minimum (of course,
> capacity declines over that time).
>
> Got any references to back up your claim?

My Titanium PowerBook G4's original battery (mid 2002) lasted a little
over 2 years before it retained so little charge it needed to be
replaced. A third party replacement (mid 2004) lasted almost 3 years and
was still working well, but then the computer died so I never got to
test its limits.

My MacBook Pro (mid 2007) was still going strong on its original battery
when I sold the computer almost three years later, despite the battery
having over 400 cycles. Had about half its original capacity.

Some people I know have batteries that lasted less than two years.
Apple only guarantees them for one year (even if you have AppleCare).

Given the anecdotal evidence, I'd expect "at least two years" to be
reasonable for a lithium-ion battery, but you are lucky if it lasts much
beyond three years. Lifetime is largely influenced by the usage pattern.

Apple's new integrated batteries can survive more charge cycles. Only
time will tell but it wouldn't surprise me if they typically last five
years before needing to be replaced.

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz
From: dorayme on
In article <1jmege8.c0jy2z128uwn8N%dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz>,
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz (David Empson) wrote:

> Apple's new integrated batteries can survive more charge cycles. Only
> time will tell but it wouldn't surprise me if they typically last five
> years before needing to be replaced.

Is there a comprehensive best practice guide on this stuff
anywhere. I have been wondering a while: my late 2009 Macbook is
not used a great deal but is useful nevertheless. I tend to keep
it on, it sleeps when the lid is shut etc.

I use it a bit with power still attached. But I grab it now and
then to take it elsewhere, almost never draining the battery much
for the short sessions and plonk it back on the desk with power
to it. The green light is on it most of the time.

To sum up, my machine is tending to be fully charged most of the
time. Is this a good thing for the battery? Is fully draining and
charging back up the most wearing activity for the battery?

--
dorayme
From: Jochem Huhmann on
dorayme <dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au> writes:

> I use it a bit with power still attached. But I grab it now and
> then to take it elsewhere, almost never draining the battery much
> for the short sessions and plonk it back on the desk with power
> to it. The green light is on it most of the time.
>
> To sum up, my machine is tending to be fully charged most of the
> time. Is this a good thing for the battery? Is fully draining and
> charging back up the most wearing activity for the battery?

You should fully drain and recharge the battery about once a month to
calibrate it. If you never do this the charging circuitry may over- or
undercharge the battery.

Jochem

--
"A designer knows he has arrived at perfection not when there is no
longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away."
From: George Kerby on

On 7/29/10 1:59 AM, in article 1jmege8.c0jy2z128uwn8N%dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz,
"David Empson" <dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz> wrote:

> isw <isw(a)witzend.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <CZ54o.42655$dx7.9216(a)newsfe21.iad>,
>> russotto(a)grace.speakeasy.net (Matthew Russotto) wrote:
>>
>> --snippety-snip --
>>
>>> Typical lifetime of a lithium-ion battery is about 2 years
>>
>> I don't believe that for an instant, and my personal experience tells me
>> it's wrong, too -- more like four or five years, minimum (of course,
>> capacity declines over that time).
>>
>> Got any references to back up your claim?
>
> My Titanium PowerBook G4's original battery (mid 2002) lasted a little
> over 2 years before it retained so little charge it needed to be
> replaced. A third party replacement (mid 2004) lasted almost 3 years and
> was still working well, but then the computer died so I never got to
> test its limits.
>
> My MacBook Pro (mid 2007) was still going strong on its original battery
> when I sold the computer almost three years later, despite the battery
> having over 400 cycles. Had about half its original capacity.
>
> Some people I know have batteries that lasted less than two years.
> Apple only guarantees them for one year (even if you have AppleCare).

A lot of people believe that Apple does warranty the battery for three years
with AppleCare. But, as you indicate, the battery does NOT come under
AppleCare. My store told me 18 months - not a year, but that may not be the
case, or difference between the NZ and USA policy?

In any case, one of the many reasons that I have invested in Apple so much
(product and financial) is because of the award-winning Customer Support.

The 15" MacBook Pro that I am writing this on is currently on it's third
battery and it has two months to go before AppleCare expires. Both the
second and current battery were after 18 months had passed. I was told by
the "Genius" that the reason the second went so fast was that it was NOT
cycled enough, causing a premature decline. The tech said that he didn't
have to, but he went ahead and replaced it no charge. Don't think that would
happen at a Dell store, or HP.

From: George Kerby on

On 7/29/10 4:50 AM, in article m2mxtaiplu.fsf(a)revier.com, "Jochem Huhmann"
<joh(a)gmx.net> wrote:

> dorayme <dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au> writes:
>
>> I use it a bit with power still attached. But I grab it now and
>> then to take it elsewhere, almost never draining the battery much
>> for the short sessions and plonk it back on the desk with power
>> to it. The green light is on it most of the time.
>>
>> To sum up, my machine is tending to be fully charged most of the
>> time. Is this a good thing for the battery? Is fully draining and
>> charging back up the most wearing activity for the battery?
>
> You should fully drain and recharge the battery about once a month to
> calibrate it. If you never do this the charging circuitry may over- or
> undercharge the battery.
>

> Jochem

Ahem, brother.