From: Jolly Roger on
In article <E_udnehtAYIyoMrRnZ2dnUVZ_uKdnZ2d(a)earthlink.com>,
Kurt Ullman <kurtullman(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> In article <i37dq9$o28$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> Wes Groleau <Groleau+news(a)FreeShell.org> wrote:
>
> > On 08-02-2010 16:52, Kurt Ullman wrote:
> > > The battery on my wife's MBP is completely dead. 0% charge and 0mAh.
> > > She uses it as a desktop. There is no leaking and no obvious bulging.
> > > This is one of the earlier MBPs so I am not sure I want to spend the
> > > money on the fourth battery since I got it. Any particular reason I
> > > shouldn't just leave it alone unless the battery starts to bulge?
> >
> > If you plug it in with the battery removed, will it run?
> >
> > If so, throw away the battery and the answer no longer matters.
>
> My concern is that then there is a hole in back. When I take the
> battery out, there is also some stuff hanging out. Don't know if
> anything nasty can get in through the hole.

Some stuff hanging out? Like what?

JR
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <C87CC531.3A66D%ghost_topper(a)hotmail.com>,
George Kerby <ghost_topper(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/2/10 4:50 PM, in article
> E_udnehtAYIyoMrRnZ2dnUVZ_uKdnZ2d(a)earthlink.com, "Kurt Ullman"
> <kurtullman(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <i37dq9$o28$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> > Wes Groleau <Groleau+news(a)FreeShell.org> wrote:

> >> If you plug it in with the battery removed, will it run?
> >>
> >> If so, throw away the battery and the answer no longer matters.
> >
> > My concern is that then there is a hole in back. When I take the
> > battery out, there is also some stuff hanging out. Don't know if
> > anything nasty can get in through the hole.
>
> Not only that, the pressure of the expanding battery will affect other
> internal components, causing secondary issues.

AFAIK, his battery isn't expanding.

JR
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <EYGdnXvfJu-L_crRnZ2dnUVZ_u6dnZ2d(a)earthlink.com>,
Kurt Ullman <kurtullman(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> In article <i37ie4$5mf$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> Wes Groleau <Groleau+news(a)FreeShell.org> wrote:

> > > My concern is that then there is a hole in back. When I take the
> > > battery out, there is also some stuff hanging out. Don't know if
> > > anything nasty can get in through the hole.
> >
> > Ah, yes. I suppose dust and such could be a problem. But there
> > shouldn't be "stuff hanging out."
>
> Now that I look at closer, it is just a couple of ribbon wires and some
> circuit board looking things that are back behind a plastic covering.
> Probably not a real concern.

Yes those should be flush with the surface. I doubt anything would
really be able to catch onto that very easily.

JR
From: George Kerby on

On 8/2/10 9:12 PM, in article
jollyroger-F5C56B.21124802082010(a)news.individual.net, "Jolly Roger"
<jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:

> In article <C87CC531.3A66D%ghost_topper(a)hotmail.com>,
> George Kerby <ghost_topper(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 8/2/10 4:50 PM, in article
>> E_udnehtAYIyoMrRnZ2dnUVZ_uKdnZ2d(a)earthlink.com, "Kurt Ullman"
>> <kurtullman(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> My concern is that then there is a hole in back. When I take the
>>> battery out, there is also some stuff hanging out. Don't know if
>>> anything nasty can get in through the hole.
>>
>> Not only that, the pressure of the expanding battery will affect other
>> internal components, causing secondary issues.
>
> AFAIK, his battery isn't expanding.

I was referring to the original poster - the microbe, not Kurt. Should have
been more specific.

From: The Translucent Amoebae on
On Aug 2, 1:30 pm, Jolly Roger <jollyro...(a)pobox.com> wrote:
> In article
> <98adfc0e-ce71-4adc-b08d-078992bc6...(a)q16g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
> The Translucent Amoebae <transamoe...(a)seanet.com> wrote:
>
> > Then: i do recall hearing about Batteries exploding or catching fire,
> > But that was only with the MacPro Batteries.
> > The problem with The MacBook B&W batteries was much less serious ???
>
> Bad assumption.
>
> --
> Send responses to the relevant news group rather than email to me.
> E-mail sent to this address may be devoured by my very hungry SPAM
> filter. Due to Google's refusal to prevent spammers from posting
> messages through their servers, I often ignore posts from Google
> Groups. Use a real news client if you want me to see your posts.
>
> JR

Despite what i just said in my last post, i left the library ( using
their wifi ) and went over to Strong Solutions ( Authorized Mac Dealer
in Spokane WA ). On the way over there, i had a very strong urge to
call to make sure that they were open, but ignored it!
Then when i did find it, ( first visit ) it was Closed..! ( Monday
Afternoon ! )
But as i turned away, i again had a strong urge to turn around, as i
was wearing mp3 headphones, medium loud, and the owner was just coming
back from the post office and asked me what i needed, and i said i had
a bulgy battery, and showed it to him.
He agreed that i needed a new one, and installed it for me ±150$!
i also asked about a new HD and said and installation of a new one
would cost about 700$!!!
Ack!
Hold off on that for a few months.
So i am sleeping a little more comfortably now, if only ted would turn
his stereo down.