From: Jolly Roger on
In article
<9b323998-ae89-4d08-a6f1-6da5767aa6f6(a)f6g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
The Translucent Amoebae <transamoebae(a)seanet.com> wrote:

> And apparently there was a big hoop-de-doo over the batteries in the
> MacPro
> Which Apple was replacing for awhile, and then stopped.
> But the Batteries in the MacBook White & Black were not part of this,
> But & But, There were mentioned as having bulged out occasionally,
> Much more infrequently than the MacPro...???

You mean MacBook Pro. The Mac Pro is a large tower computer with no
removable battery.

JR
From: Jolly Roger on
In article
<9b323998-ae89-4d08-a6f1-6da5767aa6f6(a)f6g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
The Translucent Amoebae <transamoebae(a)seanet.com> wrote:

> Curiously; i noticed that a year or so ago, when the battery was about
> to fail, it would warn me,
> But now it just suddenly quits!

That is one of the signs that the battery is near the very end of its
life span, as you have already been told by others here. The fact that
the battery is bulging shows the battery is degrading and will fail
soon, possibly in a violent manner, possibly causing a fire. Continue to
use it at your own risk. You have been warned.

JR
From: Jolly Roger on
In article
<9b323998-ae89-4d08-a6f1-6da5767aa6f6(a)f6g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
The Translucent Amoebae <transamoebae(a)seanet.com> wrote:

> My plan is to wait until the new Apple store opens in our town, and
> then ask about it.

Bad idea. Your battery is showing signs of severe failure that will
likely result in a fire hazard. I hope your place doesn't burn down as a
result of this bad decision. Best of luck to you.

> i have mildly loath to buy a new Apple Battery, which is about 150$ or
> so...!
> Equivalent Batteries on The Interweb are about half or less than than,
> and i have the opinion that if i buy it through Amazon, it has to be
> OK ( They've only ripped me off a few times ? )

I recommend FastMac replacement batteries for Apple portables:

<http://fastmac.com/laptop.php>

I've had good experiences with their products and customer support
through the past few years.

JR
From: Jolly Roger on
In article
<98adfc0e-ce71-4adc-b08d-078992bc60d1(a)q16g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
The Translucent Amoebae <transamoebae(a)seanet.com> wrote:

> Then: i do recall hearing about Batteries exploding or catching fire,
> But that was only with the MacPro Batteries.
> The problem with The MacBook B&W batteries was much less serious ???

Bad assumption.

JR
From: Kurt Ullman on
In article <jollyroger-E2A096.15261902082010(a)news.individual.net>,
Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:

> In article
> <9b323998-ae89-4d08-a6f1-6da5767aa6f6(a)f6g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
> The Translucent Amoebae <transamoebae(a)seanet.com> wrote:
>
> > Curiously; i noticed that a year or so ago, when the battery was about
> > to fail, it would warn me,
> > But now it just suddenly quits!
>
> That is one of the signs that the battery is near the very end of its
> life span, as you have already been told by others here. The fact that
> the battery is bulging shows the battery is degrading and will fail
> soon, possibly in a violent manner, possibly causing a fire. Continue to
> use it at your own risk. You have been warned.

The battery on my wife's MBP is completely dead. 0% charge and 0mAh.
She uses it as a desktop. There is no leaking and no obvious bulging.
This is one of the earlier MBPs so I am not sure I want to spend the
money on the fourth battery since I got it. Any particular reason I
shouldn't just leave it alone unless the battery starts to bulge?

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist