From: George Kerby on

On 8/2/10 4:50 PM, in article
E_udnehtAYIyoMrRnZ2dnUVZ_uKdnZ2d(a)earthlink.com, "Kurt Ullman"
<kurtullman(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> In article <i37dq9$o28$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> Wes Groleau <Groleau+news(a)FreeShell.org> wrote:
>
>> On 08-02-2010 16:52, Kurt Ullman wrote:
>>> The battery on my wife's MBP is completely dead. 0% charge and 0mAh.
>>> She uses it as a desktop. There is no leaking and no obvious bulging.
>>> This is one of the earlier MBPs so I am not sure I want to spend the
>>> money on the fourth battery since I got it. Any particular reason I
>>> shouldn't just leave it alone unless the battery starts to bulge?
>>
>> If you plug it in with the battery removed, will it run?
>>
>> If so, throw away the battery and the answer no longer matters.
>
> My concern is that then there is a hole in back. When I take the
> battery out, there is also some stuff hanging out. Don't know if
> anything nasty can get in through the hole.

Not only that, the pressure of the expanding battery will affect other
internal components, causing secondary issues.

From: Kurt Ullman on
In article <i37ie4$5mf$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Wes Groleau <Groleau+news(a)FreeShell.org> wrote:

> On 08-02-2010 17:50, Kurt Ullman wrote:
> > Wes Groleau<Groleau+news(a)FreeShell.org> wrote:
> >> If so, throw away the battery and the answer no longer matters.
> >
> > My concern is that then there is a hole in back. When I take the
> > battery out, there is also some stuff hanging out. Don't know if
> > anything nasty can get in through the hole.
>
> Ah, yes. I suppose dust and such could be a problem. But there
> shouldn't be "stuff hanging out."

Now that I look at closer, it is just a couple of ribbon wires and some
circuit board looking things that are back behind a plastic covering.
Probably not a real concern.

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist
From: Jason S on
The Translucent Amoebae <transamoebae(a)seanet.com> wrote:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrstphre/4838615460/
>
> Image depicts The Battery Pack of a 3 year old MacBook ( Black )
> Bulging slightly outward...!
> i took it out and examined it ( as best i could ) and it looked
> fine...???
> ( no leakage or other worrisome anomalies...? )
>
> eh?
>
> Thanx!

I wouldn't flirt with possible danger like that. I'd say replace it.

--
Jason
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <4c57375f$0$5373$c3e8da3(a)news.astraweb.com>,
JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot(a)vaxination.ca> wrote:

> Jolly Roger wrote:
>
> > You mean MacBook Pro. The Mac Pro is a large tower computer with no
> > removable battery.
>
> Actually, the Mac Pro does have a removeable battery. A pill sized
> CR2032 (I think) for the clock and NVRAM :-) :-)

You know what I meant. : )

JR
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <z5Cdndm2rbVgssrRnZ2dnUVZ_uudnZ2d(a)earthlink.com>,
Kurt Ullman <kurtullman(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> In article <jollyroger-E2A096.15261902082010(a)news.individual.net>,
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <9b323998-ae89-4d08-a6f1-6da5767aa6f6(a)f6g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
> > The Translucent Amoebae <transamoebae(a)seanet.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Curiously; i noticed that a year or so ago, when the battery was about
> > > to fail, it would warn me,
> > > But now it just suddenly quits!
> >
> > That is one of the signs that the battery is near the very end of its
> > life span, as you have already been told by others here. The fact that
> > the battery is bulging shows the battery is degrading and will fail
> > soon, possibly in a violent manner, possibly causing a fire. Continue to
> > use it at your own risk. You have been warned.
>
> The battery on my wife's MBP is completely dead. 0% charge and 0mAh.
> She uses it as a desktop. There is no leaking and no obvious bulging.
> This is one of the earlier MBPs so I am not sure I want to spend the
> money on the fourth battery since I got it. Any particular reason I
> shouldn't just leave it alone unless the battery starts to bulge?

I can't think of any reason, no. I mean you'll obviously want to get rid
of it at *some* point, because we all know what happens to batteries
after a few years of stagnation. For one, the fluids inside start to
corrode the container and spill out. You wouldn't want that stuff to
come into contact with anything you hold dear, including your skin. ; )

JR