From: isw on
In article <m2mxtaiplu.fsf(a)revier.com>, Jochem Huhmann <joh(a)gmx.net>
wrote:

> dorayme <dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au> writes:
>
> > I use it a bit with power still attached. But I grab it now and
> > then to take it elsewhere, almost never draining the battery much
> > for the short sessions and plonk it back on the desk with power
> > to it. The green light is on it most of the time.
> >
> > To sum up, my machine is tending to be fully charged most of the
> > time. Is this a good thing for the battery? Is fully draining and
> > charging back up the most wearing activity for the battery?
>
> You should fully drain and recharge the battery about once a month to
> calibrate it. If you never do this the charging circuitry may over- or
> undercharge the battery.

I think that information is wretchedly out of date. It may have been
true for some battery chemistries at some time, but not with
contemporary lithium-based chemistries or chargers.

Isaac
From: Phillip Jones on
isw wrote:
> In article<CZ54o.42655$dx7.9216(a)newsfe21.iad>,
> russotto(a)grace.speakeasy.net (Matthew Russotto) wrote:
>
> --snippety-snip --
>
>> Typical lifetime of a lithium-ion battery is about 2 years
>
> I don't believe that for an instant, and my personal experience tells me
> it's wrong, too -- more like four or five years, minimum (of course,
> capacity declines over that time).
>
> Got any references to back up your claim?
>
> Isaac
I am still using the same Battery in my PowerPC Powerbook 17" bought
about 5-6 years ago and it still shows as 97-99% on the Battery meter.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net mailto:pjones1(a)kimbanet.com
From: dorayme on
In article <i2scig$b70$2(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Phillip Jones <pjones1(a)kimbanet.com> wrote:

> I am still using the same Battery in my PowerPC Powerbook 17" bought
> about 5-6 years ago and it still shows as 97-99% on the Battery meter.

99% of what though? Is it really of the original charge of the
battery when it was new and fully charged? Does it last as long
as i used to when new? Is it the battery equivalent of The Magic
Pudding?

--
dorayme
From: dorayme on
In article <isw-71A8C8.09535629072010@[216.168.3.50]>,
isw <isw(a)witzend.com> wrote:

> In article <m2mxtaiplu.fsf(a)revier.com>, Jochem Huhmann <joh(a)gmx.net>
> wrote:
>
> > dorayme <dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au> writes:
> >
> > > I use it a bit with power still attached. But I grab it now and
> > > then to take it elsewhere, almost never draining the battery much
> > > for the short sessions and plonk it back on the desk with power
> > > to it. The green light is on it most of the time.
> > >
> > > To sum up, my machine is tending to be fully charged most of the
> > > time. Is this a good thing for the battery? Is fully draining and
> > > charging back up the most wearing activity for the battery?
> >
> > You should fully drain and recharge the battery about once a month to
> > calibrate it. If you never do this the charging circuitry may over- or
> > undercharge the battery.
>
> I think that information is wretchedly out of date. It may have been
> true for some battery chemistries at some time, but not with
> contemporary lithium-based chemistries or chargers.
>
> Isaac

What is a poor visitor to earth like me to believe? Don't say I
have to make my own mind up! I hate doing that.

--
dorayme
From: George Kerby on

On 7/29/10 5:23 PM, in article
dorayme-CCDF11.08232230072010(a)news.albasani.net, "dorayme"
<dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> In article <i2scig$b70$2(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> Phillip Jones <pjones1(a)kimbanet.com> wrote:
>
>> I am still using the same Battery in my PowerPC Powerbook 17" bought
>> about 5-6 years ago and it still shows as 97-99% on the Battery meter.
>
> 99% of what though? Is it really of the original charge of the
> battery when it was new and fully charged? Does it last as long
> as i used to when new? Is it the battery equivalent of The Magic
> Pudding?

coconutBattery will answer your questions.