From: dorayme on
In article <i2tb4i$dbo$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Phillip Jones <pjones1(a)kimbanet.com> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
> > In article<i2scig$b70$2(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> > Phillip Jones<pjones1(a)kimbanet.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I am still using the same Battery in my PowerPC Powerbook 17" bought
> >> about 5-6 years ago and it still shows as 97-99% on the Battery meter.
> >
> > 99% of what though? Is it really of the original charge of the
> > battery when it was new and fully charged? Does it last as long
> > as i used to when new? Is it the battery equivalent of The Magic
> > Pudding?
> >
> 99% of the staying power when new. Based on the battery Technology then
> it last approximately the same amount of time. Maybe 1/2 hour shorter
> now than then.

I wish any rechargeable of mine (mobiles, laptop, cameras,
torches over the years) could have been had such a success!

--
dorayme
From: Rich Gray on
The Translucent Amoebae wrote:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrstphre/4838615460/
>
> Image depicts The Battery Pack of a 3 year old MacBook ( Black )
> Bulging slightly outward...!
> i took it out and examined it ( as best i could ) and it looked
> fine...???
> ( no leakage or other worrisome anomalies...? )
>
> eh?
>
> Thanx!

I think you should bring it to Apple's attention, even
though it may not be covered by warranty. You may have
avoided a Very Bad Thing happening. This seem to me to
be a serious safety issue. If we're lucky, it will prompt
a recall and a whole bunch of us will get new battery
packs. ;)

From: The Translucent Amoebae on
On Jul 31, 3:27 pm, Rich Gray <devn...(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote:
> The Translucent Amoebae wrote:
> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrstphre/4838615460/
>
> > Image depicts The Battery Pack of a 3 year old MacBook ( Black )
> > Bulging slightly outward...!
> > i took it out and examined it ( as best i could ) and it looked
> > fine...???
> > ( no leakage or other worrisome anomalies...? )
>
> > eh?
>
> > Thanx!
>
> I think you should bring it to Apple's attention, even
> though it may not be covered by warranty. You may have
> avoided a Very Bad Thing happening. This seem to me to
> be a serious safety issue. If we're lucky, it will prompt
> a recall and a whole bunch of us will get new battery
> packs. ;)

i've done a little bit of reading up on this ( on the interweb )
And apparently there was a big hoop-de-doo over the batteries in the
MacPro
Which Apple was replacing for awhile, and then stopped.
But the Batteries in the MacBook White & Black were not part of this,
But & But, There were mentioned as having bulged out occasionally,
Much more infrequently than the MacPro...???

i have not come across any cases where the MacBook W&B exploded or
caught fire or even leaked, they just bulged out...???

Also: Everyone keeps talking about proper use of the batteries...???
i just leave my MacBook Plugged in ALL THE TIME, Except for the very
rare occasions when i need to use the printer, which is located on the
other side of my room.
When i use the printer for extended sessions of Scanning, The Battery
usually ( Still ) lasts about 2 hours, and it charges fully to 100%
when it's plugged in.
Curiously; i noticed that a year or so ago, when the battery was about
to fail, it would warn me,
But now it just suddenly quits!

My plan is to wait until the new Apple store opens in our town, and
then ask about it.
i have mildly loath to buy a new Apple Battery, which is about 150$ or
so...!
Equivalent Batteries on The Interweb are about half or less than than,
and i have the opinion that if i buy it through Amazon, it has to be
OK ( They've only ripped me off a few times ? )

Another Thing;
When i drop by the Apple store, i was thinking that if i do get an
Apple Battery, will it bulge out in a few years, or is this problem
fixed...???
If it doesn't, then this current bulging battery is clearly defective,
and should be replaced for free...???!
But Apply is now telling that the bulging batteries have reached the
end of their natural lifetime and the bulging is incidental... ???

???
From: George Kerby on

On 8/2/10 1:34 PM, in article
9b323998-ae89-4d08-a6f1-6da5767aa6f6(a)f6g2000pro.googlegroups.com, "The
Translucent Amoebae" <transamoebae(a)seanet.com> wrote:

> On Jul 31, 3:27 pm, Rich Gray <devn...(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote:
>> The Translucent Amoebae wrote:
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrstphre/4838615460/
>>
>>> Image depicts The Battery Pack of a 3 year old MacBook ( Black )
>>> Bulging slightly outward...!
>>> i took it out and examined it ( as best i could ) and it looked
>>> fine...???
>>> ( no leakage or other worrisome anomalies...? )
>>
>>> eh?
>>
>>> Thanx!
>>
>> I think you should bring it to Apple's attention, even
>> though it may not be covered by warranty. You may have
>> avoided a Very Bad Thing happening. This seem to me to
>> be a serious safety issue. If we're lucky, it will prompt
>> a recall and a whole bunch of us will get new battery
>> packs. ;)
>
> i've done a little bit of reading up on this ( on the interweb )
> And apparently there was a big hoop-de-doo over the batteries in the
> MacPro
> Which Apple was replacing for awhile, and then stopped.
> But the Batteries in the MacBook White & Black were not part of this,
> But & But, There were mentioned as having bulged out occasionally,
> Much more infrequently than the MacPro...???
>
> i have not come across any cases where the MacBook W&B exploded or
> caught fire or even leaked, they just bulged out...???
>
> Also: Everyone keeps talking about proper use of the batteries...???
> i just leave my MacBook Plugged in ALL THE TIME, Except for the very
> rare occasions when i need to use the printer, which is located on the
> other side of my room.
> When i use the printer for extended sessions of Scanning, The Battery
> usually ( Still ) lasts about 2 hours, and it charges fully to 100%
> when it's plugged in.
> Curiously; i noticed that a year or so ago, when the battery was about
> to fail, it would warn me,
> But now it just suddenly quits!
>
> My plan is to wait until the new Apple store opens in our town, and
> then ask about it.
> i have mildly loath to buy a new Apple Battery, which is about 150$ or
> so...!
> Equivalent Batteries on The Interweb are about half or less than than,
> and i have the opinion that if i buy it through Amazon, it has to be
> OK ( They've only ripped me off a few times ? )
>
> Another Thing;
> When i drop by the Apple store, i was thinking that if i do get an
> Apple Battery, will it bulge out in a few years, or is this problem
> fixed...???
> If it doesn't, then this current bulging battery is clearly defective,
> and should be replaced for free...???!
> But Apply is now telling that the bulging batteries have reached the
> end of their natural lifetime and the bulging is incidental... ???
>
> ???

Leave it to you to come in asking questions about a potentially dangerous
situation, and when the majority of people tell you something, you wait a
week or so to tell them that they all know nothing and you are going to do
things your way, anyway, microbe.

From: The Translucent Amoebae on
On Aug 2, 11:57 am, George Kerby <ghost_top...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/2/10 1:34 PM, in article
> 9b323998-ae89-4d08-a6f1-6da5767aa...(a)f6g2000pro.googlegroups.com, "The
>

> Translucent Amoebae" <transamoe...(a)seanet.com> wrote:

> >> I think you should bring it to Apple's attention, even
> >> though it may not be covered by warranty. You may have
> >> avoided a Very Bad Thing happening. This seem to me to
> >> be a serious safety issue. If we're lucky, it will prompt
> >> a recall and a whole bunch of us will get new battery
> >> packs. ;)
>
> > i've done a little bit of reading up on this ( on the interweb )
> > And apparently there was a big hoop-de-doo over the batteries in the
> > MacPro
> > Which Apple was replacing for awhile, and then stopped.
> > But the Batteries in the MacBook White & Black were not part of this,
> > But & But, There were mentioned as having bulged out occasionally,
> > Much more infrequently than the MacPro...???
>
> > i have not come across any cases where the MacBook W&B exploded or
> > caught fire or even leaked, they just bulged out...???
>
> > Also: Everyone keeps talking about proper use of the batteries...???
> > i just leave my MacBook Plugged in ALL THE TIME, Except for the very
> > rare occasions when i need to use the printer, which is located on the
> > other side of my room.
> > When i use the printer for extended sessions of Scanning, The Battery
> > usually ( Still ) lasts about 2 hours, and it charges fully to 100%
> > when it's plugged in.
> > Curiously; i noticed that a year or so ago, when the battery was about
> > to fail, it would warn me,
> > But now it just suddenly quits!
>
> > My plan is to wait until the new Apple store opens in our town, and
> > then ask about it.
> > i have mildly loath to buy a new Apple Battery, which is about 150$ or
> > so...!
> > Equivalent Batteries on The Interweb are about half or less than than,
> > and i have the opinion that if i buy it through Amazon, it has to be
> > OK ( They've only ripped me off a few times ? )
>
> > Another Thing;
> > When i drop by the Apple store, i was thinking that if i do get an
> > Apple Battery, will it bulge out in a few years, or is this problem
> > fixed...???
> > If it doesn't, then this current bulging battery is clearly defective,
> > and should be replaced for free...???!
> > But Apply is now telling that the bulging batteries have reached the
> > end of their natural lifetime and the bulging is incidental... ???
>
> > ???
>
> Leave it to you to come in asking questions about a potentially dangerous
> situation, and when the majority of people tell you something, you wait a
> week or so to tell them that they all know nothing and you are going to do
> things your way, anyway, microbe.

i appreciate all the input,
But i make a very conscious decision Not to log onto the internet
every day.
How can you featherless parakeets ever get anything done...?
Then: i do recall hearing about Batteries exploding or catching fire,
But that was only with the MacPro Batteries.
The problem with The MacBook B&W batteries was much less serious ???
i am losing a little sleep over it, but until it starts rocking when
i'm typing, it is going to remain an annoying anomaly. ???
If it blows up, i'll be sure to log on with a computer at the library
and let you know.