From: GS on
on 2/4/2010, C. Kevin Provance supposed :
>> Vista had WinMail, which (so I'm told) sucked far worse than OE.
>
> It does, it's a mess.
>
>> I use MesNews in Win7, myself, which is free and very portable as it's
> written with Delphi.
>
> Concur. I don't use it regularly yet as I'm still figuring it out, but it's
> looking to be my perm replacement when I finally retire XP.

Since this is my first day using a news reader, I downloaded MesNews
after reading Karl's post. It's awesome! So rather than learning to use
OE's news group features I'll go with MesNews immediately.

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Tom Shelton wrote:
> On 2010-02-04, Karl E Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote:
>> GS wrote:
>>> How can I get the NNTP for this newsgroup?
>>
>> Depends what client you're using. Outlook Express (OE) is sort of the
>> fallback standard, if it's available. Last supported version came with
>> XP. Vista had WinMail, which (so I'm told) sucked far worse than OE.
>> And Win7 doesn't even offer that by default. I use MesNews in Win7,
>> myself, which is free and very portable as it's written with Delphi.
>> There are many others, as well, and the discussion can get very
>> religious (almost like programming languages) if it gets going. So,
>> pick yer poison, then connect to the server (msnews.microsoft.com) and
>> subscribe to this group.
>>

> slrn + console mode vim + powershell.... Now that's a newsreader.

Evangelist! ;-P

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Karl E. Peterson on
GS wrote:
> on 2/4/2010, C. Kevin Provance supposed :
>>> Vista had WinMail, which (so I'm told) sucked far worse than OE.
>>
>> It does, it's a mess.
>>
>>> I use MesNews in Win7, myself, which is free and very portable as it's
>> written with Delphi.
>>
>> Concur. I don't use it regularly yet as I'm still figuring it out, but
>> it's looking to be my perm replacement when I finally retire XP.
>
> Since this is my first day using a news reader, I downloaded MesNews after
> reading Karl's post. It's awesome! So rather than learning to use OE's news
> group features I'll go with MesNews immediately.

Takes a bit of effort, sometimes, to *find* the setting you want to
change. But, almost always, it's there somewhere! Of course, *any*
real newsreader just beats the living he11 out of *any* web interface.
Count on it. :-)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: GS on
Karl E. Peterson laid this down on his screen :
> GS wrote:
>> on 2/4/2010, C. Kevin Provance supposed :
>>>
>>> It does, it's a mess.

>>> written with Delphi.
>>>
>>> Concur. I don't use it regularly yet as I'm still figuring it out, but
>>> it's looking to be my perm replacement when I finally retire XP.
>>
>> Since this is my first day using a news reader, I downloaded MesNews after
>> reading Karl's post. It's awesome! So rather than learning to use OE's news
>> group features I'll go with MesNews immediately.
>
> Takes a bit of effort, sometimes, to *find* the setting you want to change.
> But, almost always, it's there somewhere! Of course, *any* real newsreader
> just beats the living he11 out of *any* web interface. Count on it. :-)

I agree! It would be nice, though, if it had a CHM. (Maybe someday when
the author get enough donations..) The web help is not referring to
elements in the version I just downloaded, so I guess there'll be an
update to the webpage eventually. Geez.., and I thought OE was way
better than the web interface so you can imagine how impressed I am
with this app!

From: Karl E. Peterson on
GS wrote:
> Karl E. Peterson laid this down on his screen :
>> GS wrote:
>>> on 2/4/2010, C. Kevin Provance supposed :

>>> Since this is my first day using a news reader, I downloaded MesNews after
>>> reading Karl's post. It's awesome! So rather than learning to use OE's
>>> news group features I'll go with MesNews immediately.
>>
>> Takes a bit of effort, sometimes, to *find* the setting you want to change.
>> But, almost always, it's there somewhere! Of course, *any* real
>> newsreader just beats the living he11 out of *any* web interface. Count on
>> it. :-)
>
> I agree! It would be nice, though, if it had a CHM. (Maybe someday when the
> author get enough donations..) The web help is not referring to elements in
> the version I just downloaded, so I guess there'll be an update to the
> webpage eventually. Geez.., and I thought OE was way better than the web
> interface so you can imagine how impressed I am with this app!

I was frustrated as I could be at the so called "help" initially.
Almost to the point of giving up on it. Ultimately, it all came
together.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org