From: Geoffrey Clements on
Sorry for the late reply; I haven't been able to get near a computer all day
until now.

Thanks to everyone, there's some food for thought there.

Sidux is new to me but as it's based on Sid may be closer to Gentoo in terms
of the age of it's packages.

I'm very tempted by Debian Testing as I run a Debian Stable server and I
know my way around Debian but I've never looked into the desktop stuff.
I've followed the links provided by Chris and that certainly looks
promising.

I'm downloading Mepis as I type this and I'm going to give it a go.

Of course the nice thing is that I don't need to stick with anything I don't
like so I may go through a few distros. much to my wife's annoyance no
doubt!

Basically I'm now going through the various wikis for Sidux, Mepis and
Debian Multimedia.

Once again thanks.

--
Geoff Registered Linux user 196308
Replace bitbucket with geoff to mail me.
From: Geoffrey Clements on
Just a quick follow-up:

I've just tried Mepis 7.0 live cd. It failed to load the acx100 driver for
my wireless network card. The problem was that the module option
file, /etc/modprobe.d/acx had something like (from memory) "option
debug=0x00" and the acx module didn't like the "debug" parameter. As it was
a live cd it was read-only so I couldn't make the necessary change - not a
good start for Mepis.

From: j'espere on
Geoffrey Clements wrote:
> That's it, after 5 years me and Gentoo are parting ways. It's now the third
> time something has stopped working just when I need it. This time the
> printer, working one day and not the next. What did I do in-between? I
> recompiled the kernel to support autofs (this was an incremental compile),
> installed the autofs userspace tools and after that the printer, sound
> _and_ desktop notifications have all stopped working. Weird.
>
> So I'm on the lookout for another distro. for the desktop. I'm used to KDE
> so I want something orientated to KDE also I prefer deb based package
> management over rpm (I think I'm allowed to have at least one package-ist
> attitude at my age plus I'm feeling crotchety at the moment). I use Debian
> stable on my server so I'm thinking of using Testing but I'm not sure how
> to cope with getting all the non-free stuff such as NVidia drivers, Skype,

I am no way a power user but I have been through mandrake, redhat,
mandriva, fedora and suse in about 6 years. I just got stuck in a rut
and decided to try some .deb distros...some seemed more elegant. Anyway,
I love MEPIS. Didn't get on with Ubuntu. Apologies I am not on a "clean"
machine atm, but that is my Linux choice. Good future.
From: chris on
Geoffrey Clements wrote:
> Just a quick follow-up:
>
> I've just tried Mepis 7.0 live cd. It failed to load the acx100 driver for
> my wireless network card. The problem was that the module option
> file, /etc/modprobe.d/acx had something like (from memory) "option
> debug=0x00" and the acx module didn't like the "debug" parameter. As it was
> a live cd it was read-only so I couldn't make the necessary change - not a
> good start for Mepis.

If you try and boot with the R/W (aufs) option in the GRUB menu you'll
be able to make changes to the live set-up. It's worked well for me in
the past.
From: Anthony Campbell on
On 2008-09-04, Geoffrey Clements <bitbucket(a)electron.me.uk> wrote:
> Sorry for the late reply; I haven't been able to get near a computer all day
> until now.
>
> Thanks to everyone, there's some food for thought there.
>
> Sidux is new to me but as it's based on Sid may be closer to Gentoo in terms
> of the age of it's packages.
>
> I'm very tempted by Debian Testing as I run a Debian Stable server and I
> know my way around Debian but I've never looked into the desktop stuff.
> I've followed the links provided by Chris and that certainly looks
> promising.
>
> I'm downloading Mepis as I type this and I'm going to give it a go.
>
> Of course the nice thing is that I don't need to stick with anything I don't
> like so I may go through a few distros. much to my wife's annoyance no
> doubt!
>
> Basically I'm now going through the various wikis for Sidux, Mepis and
> Debian Multimedia.
>
> Once again thanks.

I'd vote for Debian Unstable myself. I used Sidux for a time when I got
this laptop, partly because I'd previously had difficulty getting sound
on Debian. But I couldn't get wireless to work with Sidux, so I went
back to Debian and found that the installation method was now
considerably better. I've had no serious problems with it in the past
year, using almost daily upgrades.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac(a)acampbell.org.uk
and sceptical articles)