From: jasee on

"Tony Houghton" <h(a)realh.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 09:29:20 +0100
> "Geoffrey Clements" <geoffrey.clementsNO(a)SPAMbaesystems.com> wrote:
>
>> I've tried Mepis (or is it simplyMepis?) and I'm giving sidux a go next.
>> I'll probably finish with Debian Testing and decide from there. My PC is
>> connected via a wireless network so it would be nice if it recognised the
>> acx card on install. Mepis does this but fails to load the kernel module
>> because of a configuration problem. Sidux I don't know yet. Debian
>> Testing
>> I'm pretty sure wont as the acx package is source code only which means
>> I'll
>> have to carry the PC to where I have my wired network which is in my
>> garage
>> when I give it a try.
>
> You can also install Debian from something like an Ubuntu LiveCD thanks
> to debootstrap. There are a few things that don't get set up properly
> and have to be done manually, eg networking and a default suer who
> belongs to all the right groups, but you sound as if you could take that
> sort of thing in your stride. Personally I found it less hassle than
> having to use my laptop within a spare cable's length of my router.

What exactly is wrong with Suse? I've been following this thread no one has
mentioned it and it's a good reliable distro, isnt it?

From: Tony Houghton on
On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 21:30:05 +0100
"jasee" <jasee(a)btinternet.com> wrote:

> What exactly is wrong with Suse? I've been following this thread no one has
> mentioned it and it's a good reliable distro, isnt it?

The OP said he prefers apt/dpkg to rpm.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk

From: Geoffrey Clements on
Tony Houghton wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 09:29:20 +0100
> "Geoffrey Clements" <geoffrey.clementsNO(a)SPAMbaesystems.com> wrote:
>
>> I've tried Mepis (or is it simplyMepis?) and I'm giving sidux a go next.
>> I'll probably finish with Debian Testing and decide from there. My PC is
>> connected via a wireless network so it would be nice if it recognised the
>> acx card on install. Mepis does this but fails to load the kernel module
>> because of a configuration problem. Sidux I don't know yet. Debian
>> Testing I'm pretty sure wont as the acx package is source code only which
>> means I'll have to carry the PC to where I have my wired network which is
>> in my garage when I give it a try.
>
> You can also install Debian from something like an Ubuntu LiveCD thanks
> to debootstrap. There are a few things that don't get set up properly
> and have to be done manually, eg networking and a default suer who
> belongs to all the right groups, but you sound as if you could take that
> sort of thing in your stride. Personally I found it less hassle than
> having to use my laptop within a spare cable's length of my router.

Answering from my shiny new Debian Lenny install!

I used the first DVD image to install but before the point of no return I
put the acx source package in my home directory and used dpkg to install
the source then module-assistant to compile and install the kernel module.
I must of been having a particularly lucent day because I also remembered
to copy the firmware files from Gentoo.

It's a pity I lost about half an hour debugging a network problem which
turned out to be my poor copying skills typing in my wireless key - doh!

I've got my sound working and my printer back - yay!

--
Geoff Registered Linux user 196308
Replace bitbucket with geoff to mail me.
From: Geoffrey Clements on
Tony Houghton wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 21:30:05 +0100
> "jasee" <jasee(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> What exactly is wrong with Suse? I've been following this thread no one
>> has mentioned it and it's a good reliable distro, isnt it?
>
> The OP said he prefers apt/dpkg to rpm.

Tis true, and it's probably a prejudice on my part.

From: jasee on

"Sheridan Hutchinson" <Sheridan(a)Shezza.org> wrote in message
>jasee wrote:
><snip>
>> What exactly is wrong with Suse? I've been following this thread no
>> one has mentioned it and it's a good reliable distro, isnt it?

>Many people have told me they really like SuSE and more power to them.
>My experience of the installer in a VirtualBox was pretty poor and I
>binned it there and then. I don't recall the exact error at the time
>however I do have a guideline that if the install is difficult or
>problematic then it's a distro that I want to avoid as it's not a good
>sign.
>
>I'll VirtualBox it again in a year or so again to see how the
>development has come on.

I'm no expert, I'm just interested in other peoples opinions. It's always
installed and ran easily for me, FWIW