From: Ted on
Geoffrey Clements wrote:
> That's it, after 5 years me and Gentoo are parting ways. It's now the third
> time something has stopped working just when I need it. This time the
> printer, working one day and not the next. What did I do in-between? I
> recompiled the kernel to support autofs (this was an incremental compile),
> installed the autofs userspace tools and after that the printer, sound
> _and_ desktop notifications have all stopped working. Weird.
>
> So I'm on the lookout for another distro. for the desktop. I'm used to KDE
> so I want something orientated to KDE also I prefer deb based package
> management over rpm (I think I'm allowed to have at least one package-ist
> attitude at my age plus I'm feeling crotchety at the moment). I use Debian
> stable on my server so I'm thinking of using Testing but I'm not sure how
> to cope with getting all the non-free stuff such as NVidia drivers, Skype,
> Flash and so on.
>
> I'm looking at Mepis but can't quite work out if I need to pay to get the
> full distro. plus it seems to have only a few people working on it.
>
> [K]Ubuntu well, err, not sure if I want that - it seems to be aimed at
> people new to Linux.
>
> I know there are lots of other distros. perhaps too many. If anyone cares to
> share some thoughts I'd be grateful, ta!

I have tried many distros and finally settled with Sidux. Ideal distro
for beginner or expert based on Debian Sid has an excellent setup system
which will install all the non-free stuff if you so wish and also setup
many video cards..Compiz comes from the shame repos and everything just
seems to work..Also should you need help the irc channel is second to none.

--
Regards
Ted Wager
From: Geoffrey Clements on
"Sheridan Hutchinson" <Sheridan(a)Shezza.org> wrote in message

> One thing that I was going to suggest is that you might find Ubuntu and
> all the variants of it somewhat frustrating if you're coming from a
> Gentoo environment where you had complete control of everything. Taking
> this into account and the fact that you have a few years experience you
> might find that Debian gives you are much more satisfying experience as
> I'm sure you'll want to customise your environment :)

That's a good point. When I decided to kick Gentoo in to touch I knew was
going to have to give up some control for the sake of a bit more stability
but just mow much is hard to judge. I find picking a distro. you're
comfortable with is a very personal thing, for me some things appeal others
don't and it can be hard to say why.

I'll still want to retain a lot of control; I do odd things with the pam
configuration for instance. Gentoo makes changing config. files after an
upgrade very easy with tools like dispatch-conf and I think the Debian
approach is a bit more clunky. But it's a small price to pay (I think).

I've tried Mepis (or is it simplyMepis?) and I'm giving sidux a go next.
I'll probably finish with Debian Testing and decide from there. My PC is
connected via a wireless network so it would be nice if it recognised the
acx card on install. Mepis does this but fails to load the kernel module
because of a configuration problem. Sidux I don't know yet. Debian Testing
I'm pretty sure wont as the acx package is source code only which means I'll
have to carry the PC to where I have my wired network which is in my garage
when I give it a try.

--
Geoff

From: Geoffrey Clements on
"chris" <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Geoffrey Clements wrote:
>> Just a quick follow-up:
>>
>> I've just tried Mepis 7.0 live cd. It failed to load the acx100 driver
>> for
>> my wireless network card. The problem was that the module option
>> file, /etc/modprobe.d/acx had something like (from memory) "option
>> debug=0x00" and the acx module didn't like the "debug" parameter. As it
>> was
>> a live cd it was read-only so I couldn't make the necessary change - not
>> good start for Mepis.
>
> If you try and boot with the R/W (aufs) option in the GRUB menu you'll
> be able to make changes to the live set-up. It's worked well for me in
> the past.

Oh ta :-) I'll give it a go tonight.

--
Geoff

From: Tony Houghton on
On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 09:29:20 +0100
"Geoffrey Clements" <geoffrey.clementsNO(a)SPAMbaesystems.com> wrote:

> I've tried Mepis (or is it simplyMepis?) and I'm giving sidux a go next.
> I'll probably finish with Debian Testing and decide from there. My PC is
> connected via a wireless network so it would be nice if it recognised the
> acx card on install. Mepis does this but fails to load the kernel module
> because of a configuration problem. Sidux I don't know yet. Debian Testing
> I'm pretty sure wont as the acx package is source code only which means I'll
> have to carry the PC to where I have my wired network which is in my garage
> when I give it a try.

You can also install Debian from something like an Ubuntu LiveCD thanks
to debootstrap. There are a few things that don't get set up properly
and have to be done manually, eg networking and a default suer who
belongs to all the right groups, but you sound as if you could take that
sort of thing in your stride. Personally I found it less hassle than
having to use my laptop within a spare cable's length of my router.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk

From: Folderol on
On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 13:46:44 +0100