From: Justin C on
In article <DMidne_Co-VyaV_VnZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d(a)pipex.net>, Sheridan Hutchinson wrote:
> This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 2440 and 3156)
> --------------enigF9C0CAA1FDC855F819235B33

Please, please, please stop posting non-text.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
From: Tony Houghton on
On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 19:07:20 +0100
Geoffrey Clements <bitbucket(a)electron.me.uk> wrote:

> Tony Houghton wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 09:48:42 +0100
> > Geoffrey Clements <bitbucket(a)electron.me.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> The really tricky one was the nvidia stuff which for some reason
> >> isn't "supported" in the Lenny repos. Well I say "not supported" the
> >> stuff is there they just don't make it easy to get and install.
> >
> > Do you just mean getting binary module packages? I did notice that there
> > didn't seem to be any stock kernels and nvidia modules with matching
> > version numbers when I installed unstable recently, but as long as you
> > can compile it nvidia-kernel-source is easy to get.
>
> See another post for a description of what I did, though I may try
> Sheridan's idea of using the unstable package, I wasn't sure you could do
> that sort of thing without the possibility of doing something bad to your
> system.

Do you mean you couldn't apt-get nvidia-kernel-source and nvidia-glx
from testing? Did you include non-free and contrib in
/etc/apt/sources.list?

You can add unstable (and/or experimental) to /etc/apt/sources.list too
and use apt-get's -t option to choose which release to install from.
Without -t apt defaults to whichever release it was installed as, but
this can be overridden in /etc/apt/preferences.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk

From: Geoffrey Clements on
Tony Houghton wrote:

> Do you mean you couldn't apt-get nvidia-kernel-source and nvidia-glx
> from testing? Did you include non-free and contrib in
> /etc/apt/sources.list?

Yes, according to http://www.xs4all.nl/~carlo17/howto/nvidia.html the debian
maintainers regulary remove the nvidia kernel module package from
debian 'testing'.

> You can add unstable (and/or experimental) to /etc/apt/sources.list too
> and use apt-get's -t option to choose which release to install from.
> Without -t apt defaults to whichever release it was installed as, but
> this can be overridden in /etc/apt/preferences.

I'm a bit new at fiddling around with /etc/apt/sources.list. If I add
unstable to it then won't aptitude want to upgrade all packages to the
unstable version? I think that's what pinning prevents but I haven't yet
worked out all the intricacies.

--
Geoff Registered Linux user 196308
Replace bitbucket with geoff to mail me.
From: Tony Houghton on
On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 00:35:30 +0100
Geoffrey Clements <bitbucket(a)electron.me.uk> wrote:

> I'm a bit new at fiddling around with /etc/apt/sources.list. If I add
> unstable to it then won't aptitude want to upgrade all packages to the
> unstable version? I think that's what pinning prevents but I haven't yet
> worked out all the intricacies.

No, what I understand from man apt_preferences, but I didn't put very
well, is that if your version of apt comes from testing/lenny then it
will default to installing packages from testing, unless overridden with
an option, either -t on the apt-get command-line or APT::Default-Release
in a config file.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk

From: Geoffrey Clements on
"Tony Houghton" <h(a)realh.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 00:35:30 +0100
> Geoffrey Clements <bitbucket(a)electron.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> I'm a bit new at fiddling around with /etc/apt/sources.list. If I add
>> unstable to it then won't aptitude want to upgrade all packages to the
>> unstable version? I think that's what pinning prevents but I haven't yet
>> worked out all the intricacies.
>
> No, what I understand from man apt_preferences, but I didn't put very
> well, is that if your version of apt comes from testing/lenny then it
> will default to installing packages from testing, unless overridden with
> an option, either -t on the apt-get command-line or APT::Default-Release
> in a config file.

I did the man apt_preferences - wow it's as complex as I remember, I think I
had less trouble understanding convolution in my mathematics lectures!

Still I got far enough to include the unstable repos. in my sources and then
use the preferences file to prioritorise testing over unstable. I've used
pin values of 600 and 700 which should only provide packages from unstable
when they are not present in testing if I understand correctly.

Looking at the list in aptitude this seem to be the case and I can see a
binary deb for the nvidia kernel module which leads me to another question:
I notice that the testing and unstable packages for the kernel are the same
version at present, if I were to install the nvidia kernel module from
unstable could a possible mismatch occur in the future when the unstable
branch updates the kernel and its associated modules (including the nvidia
one) but on testing the kernel is still an earlier version?

Cheers,
--
Geoff