From: Folderol on
On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 22:04:06 +0000 (UTC)
Martin Gregorie <martin(a)see.sig.for.address.invalid> wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 22:04:55 +0100, jasee wrote:
>
> > Translation please: apt=?
> > dpkg=debian package?
> > rpm=?
> >
> rpm is a Red-hat originated package distribution format.

Indeed...

Redhat
Package
Manager

--
Will J G
From: Geoffrey Clements on
Tony Houghton wrote:

> On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 01:17:49 +0100
> Geoffrey Clements <bitbucket(a)electron.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> Tony Houghton wrote:
>>

> Glad to hear it was just a temporary aberration :-). Did you discover
> make-kpkg? At first it seems more complicated than make *config; make;
> make install but it does make it much easier to build modules when the
> source packages are provided. Most of the time all you need to do is run
> "make-kpkg linux_image modules_image" then install the packages it
> creates.

I read somewhere that module-assistant should be used nowadays but if I've
got that wrong I'm happy to be corrected.

The really tricky one was the nvidia stuff which for some reason
isn't "supported" in the Lenny repos. Well I say "not supported" the stuff
is there they just don't make it easy to get and install.

Now I need to work out an automated way to recompile these kernel modules
whenever the kernel is updated like Gentoo's module-rebuild.

--
Geoff Registered Linux user 196308
Replace bitbucket with geoff to mail me.
From: tinnews on
Tony Houghton <h(a)realh.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 22:54:05 +0100
> Geoffrey Clements <bitbucket(a)electron.me.uk> wrote:
>
> > I used the first DVD image to install but before the point of no return I
> > put the acx source package in my home directory and used dpkg to install
> > the source then module-assistant to compile and install the kernel module.
>
> How well do you find acx works? Development seems a bit dead. There's a
> TI 1130 card in a PC I used to use until I gave it to my sister and I
> found ndiswrapper seemed to give more reliable reception - it probably
> knows better how to tweak certain parameters. But the real problem with
> acx for me, at least in that version, was lack of WPA. Even TV
> technology show presenters can hack WEP :-(.
>
> > I must of been having a particularly lucent day because I also remembered
> > to copy the firmware files from Gentoo.
>
> Not lucent enough for pedantic English I'm afraid :-(. Sorry, but "must

lucid surely, or is lucent an alternative?

--
Chris Green
From: Nix on
On 7 Sep 2008, Sheridan Hutchinson verbalised:
> In an ideal world we'd all use a stock kernel with drivers from the repo
> that are pre-built, but I know it doesn't work like that

Not least because even those of us that are not kernel hackers may well
have patches of our own, or have applied upstream fixes for bugs we've
encountered that we don't want to wait to flow into the distribution's
packages. (My most recent example of this: a fix to be in 2.6.26.4 which
makes packet-written media on IDE CD-RW drives appear to be read-only at
all times, which is a bit of a downer if you're trying to back up to
them.)

--
`Not even vi uses vi key bindings for its command line.' --- PdS
From: Tony Houghton on
On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 09:48:42 +0100
Geoffrey Clements <bitbucket(a)electron.me.uk> wrote:

> Tony Houghton wrote:
>
> > Glad to hear it was just a temporary aberration :-). Did you discover
> > make-kpkg? At first it seems more complicated than make *config; make;
> > make install but it does make it much easier to build modules when the
> > source packages are provided. Most of the time all you need to do is run
> > "make-kpkg linux_image modules_image" then install the packages it
> > creates.
>
> I read somewhere that module-assistant should be used nowadays but if I've
> got that wrong I'm happy to be corrected.

You're probably right, module-assistant is just a slightly different way
of doing things rather than building the modules at the same time as
your custom kernel. Are you using a stock kernel or a custom one? If
stock, I guess module-assistant makes it a lot more straightforward.

> The really tricky one was the nvidia stuff which for some reason
> isn't "supported" in the Lenny repos. Well I say "not supported" the stuff
> is there they just don't make it easy to get and install.

Do you just mean getting binary module packages? I did notice that there
didn't seem to be any stock kernels and nvidia modules with matching
version numbers when I installed unstable recently, but as long as you
can compile it nvidia-kernel-source is easy to get.

> Now I need to work out an automated way to recompile these kernel modules
> whenever the kernel is updated like Gentoo's module-rebuild.

"Integration into APT" is in man module-assistant's TODO section, but
God knows how long it's been waiting to be done.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk