From: Chris Davies on
jasee <jasee(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
> What exactly is wrong with Suse? I've been following this thread no one has
> mentioned it and it's a good reliable distro, isnt it?

I struggled - and failed - to get SuSE 10 to talk to its updates
provider. This was a paid-for version, I add. Once bitten, and all that.

Chris
From: Geoffrey Clements on
tinnews(a)isbd.co.uk wrote:

> Tony Houghton <h(a)realh.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 22:54:05 +0100
>> Geoffrey Clements <bitbucket(a)electron.me.uk> wrote:
>>

>> > I must of been having a particularly lucent day because I also
>> > remembered to copy the firmware files from Gentoo.
>>
>> Not lucent enough for pedantic English I'm afraid :-(. Sorry, but "must
>
> lucid surely, or is lucent an alternative?

I initially intended to write "lucid" but wrote "lucent" by accident,
noticing that my spelling checker didn't like the word I looked it up in an
on-line dictionary which said "Shining; bright; resplendent" and I
thought "yea, that's me" ;-)

--
Geoff Registered Linux user 196308
Replace bitbucket with geoff to mail me.
From: Geoffrey Clements on
Sheridan Hutchinson wrote:

> Geoffrey Clements wrote:
>> I read somewhere that module-assistant should be used nowadays but if
>> I've got that wrong I'm happy to be corrected.
>
> Where possible it's usually best for you and Debian to use
> module-assistant, if you have to build a module manually and it's not in
> the repo's.
>
>> The really tricky one was the nvidia stuff which for some reason
>> isn't "supported" in the Lenny repos. Well I say "not supported" the
>> stuff is there they just don't make it easy to get and install.
>
> There are two problems here. Firstly the official NVIDIA installer
> (from www.nvidia.com) is broken because it won't install on kernels with
> Xen flags like the stock Debian kernel.
>
> Probably the best way around this is to use the nvidia module package
> that is in unstable (but not testing/lenny). You can use apt-pinning to
> pick out that package from unstable and that package will install
> without issue.

I obtained the following (sorry for the wrap):
http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/n/nvidia-graphics-drivers/nvidia-kernel-source_173.14.09-5_i386.deb
http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/n/nvidia-graphics-drivers/nvidia-glx_173.14.09-5_i386.deb

and used m-a to compile the nvidia-kernel-source into a binary deb then I
used dpkg to install both nvidia-kernel-source and nvidia-glx.

I don't know how you tell which release they're from.

I have read about pinning some time ago. I've got to admit I didn't
understand it the first time through so I think I'll have to read it again.
I found Gentoo's masking and keywording to be much more intuitive.

>> Now I need to work out an automated way to recompile these kernel
>> modules whenever the kernel is updated like Gentoo's module-rebuild.
>
> If you're compiling your own kernel by hand then I don't now of an
> obvious solution.

I'm using a stock kernel.

> If you're using the stock kernel (which is appropriate for just almost
> everyone, although some will have other needs) then it will break down
> like this.
>
> Say a new kernel version comes down, 2.6.27, and your system is using
> 2.6.26. In the case of the nvidia package from unstable, that will
> automatically be updated at the same time as the kernel, so that will
> take care of itself.
>
> If you're using the nvidia driver straight from www.nvidia.com then
> naturally you will be required to reinstall it.
>
> In addition anything built with module-assistant however will need to be
> built again against the new stock kernel.

I remember noticing that when you upgrade the kernel other events are
triggered like update-grub. It's configured in /etc/kernel-img.conf, if I
could use that to auto-rebuild kernel modules against the new kernel it
would be nifty but I've got other things to sort out first.

From: Geoffrey Clements on
Tony Houghton wrote:

> On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 09:48:42 +0100
> Geoffrey Clements <bitbucket(a)electron.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> Tony Houghton wrote:
>>
>> > Glad to hear it was just a temporary aberration :-). Did you discover
>> > make-kpkg? At first it seems more complicated than make *config; make;
>> > make install but it does make it much easier to build modules when the
>> > source packages are provided. Most of the time all you need to do is
>> > run "make-kpkg linux_image modules_image" then install the packages it
>> > creates.
>>
>> I read somewhere that module-assistant should be used nowadays but if
>> I've got that wrong I'm happy to be corrected.
>
> You're probably right, module-assistant is just a slightly different way
> of doing things rather than building the modules at the same time as
> your custom kernel. Are you using a stock kernel or a custom one? If
> stock, I guess module-assistant makes it a lot more straightforward.

Stock kernel for me - I'm trying to keep things simple.

>> The really tricky one was the nvidia stuff which for some reason
>> isn't "supported" in the Lenny repos. Well I say "not supported" the
>> stuff is there they just don't make it easy to get and install.
>
> Do you just mean getting binary module packages? I did notice that there
> didn't seem to be any stock kernels and nvidia modules with matching
> version numbers when I installed unstable recently, but as long as you
> can compile it nvidia-kernel-source is easy to get.

See another post for a description of what I did, though I may try
Sheridan's idea of using the unstable package, I wasn't sure you could do
that sort of thing without the possibility of doing something bad to your
system.

From: Nomen Publicus on
Chris Davies <chris-usenet(a)roaima.co.uk> wrote:
> jasee <jasee(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
>> What exactly is wrong with Suse? I've been following this thread no one has
>> mentioned it and it's a good reliable distro, isnt it?
>
> I struggled - and failed - to get SuSE 10 to talk to its updates
> provider. This was a paid-for version, I add. Once bitten, and all that.

I had problems as well. Eventually it turned out to be a miss-match between
the keyboard and the default key mapping used by SUSE during configuration.
The result was when I typed @, SUSE saw ~ which confused the registration
process when it was expecting an email address.

In my defence, the colour scheme used by the SUSE 10 registration screens
(light grey on a slightly darker grey) and the tiny character size used
despite using a 17" screen made it very difficult to see the error.

--
Mel Gibson isn't known for being faithful to the original source.
His remake of The Life of Brian is rubbish. -- Michael C