From: jasee on

"Geoffrey Clements" <bitbucket(a)electron.me.uk> wrote in message
> Tony Houghton wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 21:30:05 +0100
>> "jasee" <jasee(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
>>
>>> What exactly is wrong with Suse? I've been following this thread no one
>>> has mentioned it and it's a good reliable distro, isnt it?
>>
>> The OP said he prefers apt/dpkg to rpm.

Translation please: apt=?
dpkg=debian package?
rpm=?

From: Martin Gregorie on
On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 22:04:55 +0100, jasee wrote:

> Translation please: apt=?
> dpkg=debian package?
> rpm=?

rpm is a Red-hat originated package distribution format.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Tony Houghton on
On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 22:54:05 +0100
Geoffrey Clements <bitbucket(a)electron.me.uk> wrote:

> I used the first DVD image to install but before the point of no return I
> put the acx source package in my home directory and used dpkg to install
> the source then module-assistant to compile and install the kernel module.

How well do you find acx works? Development seems a bit dead. There's a
TI 1130 card in a PC I used to use until I gave it to my sister and I
found ndiswrapper seemed to give more reliable reception - it probably
knows better how to tweak certain parameters. But the real problem with
acx for me, at least in that version, was lack of WPA. Even TV
technology show presenters can hack WEP :-(.

> I must of been having a particularly lucent day because I also remembered
> to copy the firmware files from Gentoo.

Not lucent enough for pedantic English I'm afraid :-(. Sorry, but "must
of" instead of "must have" (shortened to "must've") etc screams out at
me, I think it's even more annoying than "virii"!

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk

From: Geoffrey Clements on
Tony Houghton wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 22:54:05 +0100
> Geoffrey Clements <bitbucket(a)electron.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> I used the first DVD image to install but before the point of no return I
>> put the acx source package in my home directory and used dpkg to install
>> the source then module-assistant to compile and install the kernel
>> module.
>
> How well do you find acx works? Development seems a bit dead. There's a
> TI 1130 card in a PC I used to use until I gave it to my sister and I
> found ndiswrapper seemed to give more reliable reception - it probably
> knows better how to tweak certain parameters. But the real problem with
> acx for me, at least in that version, was lack of WPA. Even TV
> technology show presenters can hack WEP :-(.

I used ndiswrapper until it became incompatible with the Gentoo kernel and
then swapped to acx which has always worked well for me. Yes, lack of WPA
is annoying and a security hole but I haven't got the time to modify it
myself.

>> I must of been having a particularly lucent day because I also remembered
>> to copy the firmware files from Gentoo.
>
> Not lucent enough for pedantic English I'm afraid :-(. Sorry, but "must
> of" instead of "must have" (shortened to "must've") etc screams out at
> me, I think it's even more annoying than "virii"!

Bloody hell that's the first time I've done that and I hate it myself - put
it down to a long day getting source code kernel modules to work: acx,
nvidia and kqemu.

--
Geoff Registered Linux user 196308
Replace bitbucket with geoff to mail me.
From: Tony Houghton on
On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 01:17:49 +0100
Geoffrey Clements <bitbucket(a)electron.me.uk> wrote:

> Tony Houghton wrote:
>
> > Not lucent enough for pedantic English I'm afraid :-(. Sorry, but "must
> > of" instead of "must have" (shortened to "must've") etc screams out at
> > me, I think it's even more annoying than "virii"!
> >

> Bloody hell that's the first time I've done that and I hate it myself - put
> it down to a long day getting source code kernel modules to work: acx,
> nvidia and kqemu.

Glad to hear it was just a temporary aberration :-). Did you discover
make-kpkg? At first it seems more complicated than make *config; make;
make install but it does make it much easier to build modules when the
source packages are provided. Most of the time all you need to do is run
"make-kpkg linux_image modules_image" then install the packages it
creates.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk