From: PA Bear on
One of last week's patches was a Cumulative Security Update for IE
(MS05-025, KB883939). If your anti-virus application was running in the
background (or you had other IE windows open) when this update was
installed, you may have gotten a "dirty" install which may be causing the
problem.

Try this:

With your AV app and all other applications closed, uninstall 'Security
Update for Windows XP (KB883939)' via Add/Remove Programs and reboot.

In the same environment, go to Windows Update, download/install KB883939
again and reboot.

To assure a clean install, your anti-virus application should be disabled
and all other running processes closed before installing/uninstalling
anything, including Windows Updates.
--
~PA Bear

From: benedict1 on
This is goofy. I cannot see that Hotfix with Add/REmove programs or a third
party uninstaller I have. I went to Windows Update and it scanned my machine
and found no updates. Now what? Can't uninstall if I can't see and I'm not
sure how to force it to the surface.

What is your advice, please?
--
Thank you for your help,

benedict1

From: benedict1 on
I can see this file in Explorer

$NtUninstallKB883939$

It is obviously there, but Add/Remove Programs doesn't see it. Do I just
delete this, or is that a recipe for disaster?

--
Thank you for your help,

benedict1

From: PA Bear on
Add/Remove Programs: Is "Show Updates" box at top checked????? <w>

From: benedict1 on
Found it. Thank you, never noticed that button before. It didn't help. I
uninstalled and reinstalled. Same thing.

What's next? There are some hairy Registry fixes out on the web--far beyond
my comfort level. What in the world might cause this? I have downloaded
many, many Windows updates in the past with nothing like this. So, maybe the
update isn't it. Obviously, the reinstall didn't do it.
--
Thank you for your help,

benedict1