From: benedict1 on
I've tried everything you've suggested and a bunch of other stuff that other
folks have offered from other sources. I did Sys Restore finally to before
the updates last week. No help at all. I doubt whether printer drivers are
responsible--no one else has gotten rid of this thing by reinstalling them.
I can print just fine from IE or any other application I try. It is only
emails in OE that give the error. This is clearly a MS issue and it needs to
be escalated up the ladder to them to get help. Can an MVP get their
attention? Nobody else seems able to do it.

Unless you have another idea---I think I'll try to boot in Safe Mode and see
it that gets around it. Let you know what happens.
--
Thank you for your help,

benedict1

From: Thomas Ereston on
In news:58FE05B6-9D2C-48A1-9331-082AB156545A(a)microsoft.com,
benedict1 <benedict1(a)discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> I've tried everything you've suggested and a bunch of other stuff
> that other folks have offered from other sources. I did Sys Restore
> finally to before the updates last week. No help at all. I doubt
> whether printer drivers are responsible--no one else has gotten rid
> of this thing by reinstalling them. I can print just fine from IE or
> any other application I try. It is only emails in OE that give the
> error. This is clearly a MS issue and it needs to be escalated up
> the ladder to them to get help. Can an MVP get their attention?
> Nobody else seems able to do it.
>
> Unless you have another idea---I think I'll try to boot in Safe Mode
> and see it that gets around it. Let you know what happens.
>
>> Found it. Thank you, never noticed that button before. It didn't
>> help. I uninstalled and reinstalled. Same thing.
>>
>> What's next? There are some hairy Registry fixes out on the
>> web--far beyond my comfort level. What in the world might cause
>> this? I have downloaded many, many Windows updates in the past with
>> nothing like this. So, maybe the update isn't it. Obviously, the
>> reinstall didn't do it. --
>> Thank you for your help,
>>
>> benedict1
>>

>> "PA Bear" wrote:
>>
>>> Add/Remove Programs: Is "Show Updates" box at top checked????? <w>
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

I had the same problem which was fixed by a suggestion in OE newsgroup
which I have copied whole:

Re: Outlook Express Printing Problem
For the benefit of others here and archiving, the purported fix is:

<QP>
Solution: From a Win2000 machine export these files from the registry
and
import on the machine with the print problem/script error. These work on
both 2000 and WinXP.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00000320-0000-0000-C000-
000000000046}] @="PSFactoryBuffer"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00000320-0000-0000-C000-
000000000046}\InprocServer32] @="C:\\WINNT\\system32\\ole32.dll"
"ThreadingModel"="Both"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{0C733A30-2A1C-11CE-ADE5-
00AA0044773D}] @="ISequentialStream"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{0C733A30-2A1C-11CE-ADE5-
00AA0044773D}\NumMethods] @="5"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{0C733A30-2A1C-11CE-ADE5-
00AA0044773D}\ProxyStubClsid32]
@="{00000320-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{0000000c-0000-0000-C000-
000000000046}] @="IStream"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{0000000c-0000-0000-C000-
000000000046}\NumMethods] @="14"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{0000000c-0000-0000-C000-
000000000046}\ProxyStubClsid32]
@="{00000320-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"
</QP>

In the next reply, a poster wrote:

<QP>
I didn't have another Windows machine to export from, so I added the
missing
keys myself by editing the registry. Everything is working properly now.
</QP>

Now, what in the world "breaks" these keys in the first place?
--

--
TE

From: PA Bear on
Printer drivers? Did you install any driver updates that were offered by
Windows Update?
--
~PA Bear

From: Robert Aldwinckle on
"benedict1" <benedict1(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I get this error when trying to print a newsletter I subscribe to while in OE
> Line: 1344
> Char: 1
> Error: Unspecified error.
> Code: 0

Let's try doublechecking what you have at that line in your version
of that module.

E.g. enter in the Address bar of an IE window:
res://shdoclc.dll/preview.dlg
and do a View Source of the result.

Assuming that opens up a Notepad window make sure
that Word Wrap is unchecked (e.g. in Format menu)
and Status Bar is checked (e.g. in View menu)

Next scroll to line 1344 and see what's there.
E.g. here is what I have from 1338 to 1344 inclusive:

<example>
function CPrintDoc_InitDocument( fUseStreamHeader )
{
var fReallyUseStreamHeader = (fUseStreamHeader && (dialogArguments.__IE_OutlookHeader != null));
this._anMerge[1] = (fReallyUseStreamHeader) ? 1 : 0;
this._nStatus = (fReallyUseStreamHeader) ? 0 : 1;
this.AddFirstPage();
this._aaRect[this._nStatus][0].contentSrc = (fReallyUseStreamHeader)
</example>

FWIW

Robert Aldwinckle
---

From: benedict1 on
No--the printer drivers are from HP and are the latest they have-April, 2004.
And, they were installed under the phone supervision of someone from their
Printer Advanced Support Group since there was a problem I couldn't fix when
I set up this new machine and installed the printer--it was a scanning issue
and he got it fixed. For two months everything worked fine until this came
up.

Note the other posts--the scary Registry fix has shown up. Do you recommend
I try it??
--
Thank you for your help,

benedict1