From: mayayana on

> The question was generic in nature and was NOT VB6 specific. It was icon
> specific and these files can be used across both environments. Therefore,
> it made sense to include as broad a user group as possible.

That doesn't actually explain why you would post
to these specific two groups. All GUI software uses
icons. Why not the C++ or Java groups? But maybe
not the Perl group. I can't see them liking icons. :)

Actually another idea, if you're still looking, might
be the shareware group. The question comes up a lot
there. I don't have the usenet address offhand,
as I haven't been there in awhile. But it might
be worth checking out. With that you're getting
an audience of people who *all* need to know
about icon sources. There was also a regular
there who specialized in icons for developers. I
think the name was Moreno, but searching for
[moreno icons] now I'm not finding a link to
the website.

And there's the possibility of Linux icons being
adapted to Windows. I haven't looked into that
very much, but I know there are a lot out there.
Here's an example:
http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/AdriX+KDE+Icon+Theme?content=84261

I just downloaded the "tarball", extracted 128x128
PNGs, changed one to a 32x32 ICO, and it looks good.
There seem to be various licenses. This particular
download is GPL. I assume that means you have to
give away any edits to the icons.
In my experience Linux graphics see to be generally
of finer quality than Windows. I suppose that's because
so many people are adding their talent to the pool.
But looking for icons from Linux can be tedious due
to the fact that many are Linux-specific and many
are irrelevant things like guitars, glasses of milk, etc.

From: TMC on
Good point on the C++ and Java groups. The reason? I knew I would be even
more heavily criticized for adding more groups ;-)

I think that it's common, especially for newbies, to look for the answer in
their respective language of choice. I would love to post the question to
all the potentially relevant groups because the answers would then stand to
be enjoyed by the broadest audience. However, some in the groups would not
like that.

Thanks for the shareware group tip. I'll look into it.

From: TMC on
By the way, what is the server address for that shareware group that you
mention?

Thanks

From: mayayana on

> By the way, what is the server address for that shareware group that you
> mention?

That's what I couldn't remember. I think it
ends with "shareware.authors". I'm not sure
about whether it starts with alt or comp.

I'm currently only subscribed to MS groups,
so I don't have a list of general groups. I
stopped going to the shareware group because
it was getting less busy while at the same time
a rather nasty, quasi-fascist autocrat was making
matters worse by being abusive, in an effort to
get people to go to his own moderated group. He
seemed to think that he should be elected King
of Shareware, unfortunately.

But I expect there are probably a lot of regulars
who still at least monitor the group, even if there
are not many posts these days.