From: John Braner on
On 05/03/2010 14:41, Glennbo wrote:
> The killer robot kitekrazy<kitekrazy(a)kitekrazy.org> grabbed the
> controls of the spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
>>> Usually when I do an in place upgrade like this, I have to do a
>>> repair install of Windows to even get the machine to boot, and then
>>> Windows wants to be re-activated. I guess this new hardware looks
>>> similar enough to the previous hardware that it didn't trip any
>>> triggers, or confuse the Hardware Abstraction Layer.
>>>

>> So you are saying the new board and chipsets work with the older ones?
>
> I'm saying that last gen Intel chipsets look enough to Windows like
> current chipsets, that my machine was able to boot, simply by putting my
> drives from the other machine in. Upon the very first boot, it did not
> come up in 1920x1080, and all hardware began being detected, at which
> point I cancelled out of all of them, and ran the supplied inf updater
> that came with the new machine, as well as the driver installs for the
> onboard LAN and audio. On the second reboot, it began discovering new
> hardware again, but this time I let it look, and it found drivers for
> everything from all the onboard stuff, to USB midi keyboards, scanners,
> video cards, and Delta 2496. I was playing around with the machine
> within an hour, and only fine tuning the last things.

That's really good! Is it XP on your disks?

So you bought the new PC pre-built with everything except hard disks, and then slipped your own HDs
in? Cool - but you lost out on all the fun of trying to get the CPU cooler on, getting the mobo in,
and then and then and all the fun mobo connectors for the case switches and things. Don't you even
have any cuts on your knuckles? ;-)

--
===========
John Braner

jbraner(a)NOblueyonderSPAM.co.uk
http://cdbaby.com/cd/JohnBraner
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
From: polymod on

"Glennbo" <vdrumsYourHeadFromYourAss(a)cox.net> wrote in message

>Note how I don't worry about updating my DAW software right before a
>weekend recording session is coming up. :)

You better not ! ! ! !

;)

Poly

From: polymod on

> The killer robot "polymod" <polymod(a)optonline.net> grabbed the controls
> of the spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
> >>Note how I don't worry about updating my DAW software right before a
> >>weekend recording session is coming up. :)
> >

> > You better not ! ! ! !
> >
> > ;)
>
> I downloaded and installed Reaper 3.35 last night, the moment I saw HIO
> mention it was available. I've not once had a Reaper update break
> something that made me have to revert to a previous version until a fix
> for the fix came out. I'm not saying that they haven't broken anything
> before, but it's never ever been something drastic, or something that
> made me think they must not even be testing the software they sell. ;)

I wish I had more time to dig into Reaper. When I need something done and
done quick I still rely on Sonar.
Maybe when I retire...
;)

> So Who??? will be recording on the freshest version on Sunday, and I'm
> not worried at all that I haven't really hammered on the software yet.

It's worked every time I used it!

Poly

From: John Braner on

> Yes, they are called "Barebones" machines from Mwave.com, and I've bought a
> lot of them over the last 15 years. I pick the components, they assemble
> and test that the CPU, mobo, and RAM will try to post, and send it to me.

I really like that option. I've never seen something like that here in the UK.

>> Cool - but you lost out on all the fun of trying to get the CPU cooler
>> on, getting the mobo in, and then and then and all the fun mobo
>> connectors for the case switches and things.
>
> I don't miss that part of building a machine at all, although the new Asus
> mobos have an eazy connctor for the lights and switches where you connect
> all the wires to a plug, and then once all the wires are connected, you
> simply snap the plug onto the header of the mobo.

Yeah, I've got that - but it's still a PIA ;-)
The CPU cooler is the worst part!

>> Don't you even have any cuts on your knuckles? ;-)
>
> Not a one. All the edges inside my $30 case with sparkly lights have
> rolled edges. :)

Mine probably does too - but you can still get 'em ;-)

Good Luck with the new rig!

--
===========

From: Here In Oregon on

"Glennbo" although the new Asus
> mobos have an eazy connctor for the lights and switches where you connect
> all the wires to a plug, and then once all the wires are connected, you
> simply snap the plug onto the header of the mobo.

I connected my reset switch, power, lights, etc. to my new mobo and then saw
that EZ connector and then pulled all my wires up and out and then plugged
them into ez and then plugged that ez connector to my mobo. See how some of
us do it. I wonder if my EZ connector is in some way related to Ez drummer.
Distant cousin or sumthin.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Prev: Reaper 3.35
Next: OK Gos Amazing Rube Goldberg Machine