From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
I can get something between a laugh and a ferocious glare when I tell Bernadette that an
interface is "intuitively obvious". In fact, I now usually use this phrase when I mean to
say "This interface is totally screwed up". As she rightly points out, these interfaces
are culturally established norms, and like other cultural norms, deviation from them is
perilous.

I once spent time making a draggable listbox to hold a list of values, and even under it
put "click and drag to change positions". In spite of this, I got complaints from the
users that "to change the order of items, we have to delete them and retype them". So I
added move-up-move-down buttons and they were happy!
joe

On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 19:14:46 +0000, David Lowndes <DavidL(a)example.invalid> wrote:

>>Oh I know, having been down that road many times with my wife! ;) I just
>>didn't expect to hear the same argument from Joe, an expert of Windows and
>>the IDE! I don't think the IDE designers are necessarily wrong for assuming
>>a certain amount of Windows background from VC++ programmers (such as
>>knowing how a drop button and status bar in a MDI app work). Maybe those
>>aren't optimal, but it's certainly not the first time we should have seen
>>them.
>
>We can all miss things - I know I (and a lot of people) missed seeing
>the drop down on the VS Open dialog until someone pointed it out to
>me. Things so often are obvious - but only when you know.
>
>Dave
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: David Ching on
"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in message
> I know that a status bar exists, but I also know that it rarely, if ever,
> has anything
> useful in it when using most apps. So if it suddenly has something
> interesting, I'm not
> going to notice, because years of knowing it is completely useless have
> conditioned me
> against looking at it. In addition, as a concept, it is often a failure
> because instead
> of giving long-term status, it sometimes is erroneously used to encode
> immediate state,
> the sort of thing that we need to look at while correctly focusing on what
> we are really
> doing. As such, this is an abuse of the idea of the status bar.

Um, as you've generated MFC AppWizard apps countless times, you would know
that when you define menu items or toolbar buttons, you specify a string
with two parts separated by a '\n', the first part is what appears in the
status bar when it is hovered over, the second part is the tooltip (for a
toolbar button). So how is it you don't know the status bar is used to
display help for transient menu items and toolbar buttons that you are
hovering over? And that it is a logical extension to display the full path
of the project you are hovering over in the Start page?

-- David

From: Hector Santos on
Right Joe, this is why AOL shows this when a SMTP clients connects to
their host:

220-mtain-de04.r1000.mx.aol.com ESMTP Internet Inbound
220-AOL and its affiliated companies do not
220-authorize the use of its proprietary computers and computer
220-networks to accept, transmit, or distribute unsolicited bulk
220-e-mail sent from the internet.
220-Effective immediately:
220-AOL may no longer accept connections from IP addresses
220 which no do not have reverse-DNS (PTR records) assigned.

It is way we do the same thing for our SMTP product:

220-winserver.com Wildcat! ESMTP Server v6.3.453.2 ready
220-************** WARNING: FOR AUTHORIZED USE
ONLY! ********************** 220-* THIS SYSTEM DO NOT
AUTHORIZE THE USE OF ITS PROPRIETARY COMPUTERS *
220-* AND COMPUTER NETWORKS TO ACCEPT, TRANSMIT, OR DISTRIBUTE
UNSOLICITED * 220-* BULK E-MAIL SENT FROM THE INTERNET.
THIS SYSTEM WILL RESTRICT ACCESS * 220-* TO CAN-SPAM (US
S. 877) COMPLIANT CLIENTS ONLY. *
220

It is why more and more server are doing it as well.

It is SMTP form of a TOS requirement per US ECPA.

Yes, the 1986 US ECPA set the provisions for "User Expectations":

- Expectation for privacy.
- No Tampering.
- No Censorship.

The rules were relaxed in 2000, this satisfy the SPAM and the "Mommy
Market" and the new form of Electronics Publishers (blogs) to provide
them rights that the brick and mortar Publishing "Letter to the
Editor" market have.

The critical thing is LOST OF MAIL - when a user presses
SAVE/POST/SEND, the software must either reject immediately with a
notification or provide a delayed notification for non-delivery.
Silence Censorship is whats gets you in trouble.

--

HLS
From: BobF on
Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> See below...
> On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 07:19:38 -0800, "David Ching" <dc(a)remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> "BobF" <nothanks(a)no.spam> wrote in message
>>> Last year I participated in ASP.Net forums for a few months. Those forums
>>> have (had?) an nntp interface that worked fine without an additional
>>> process running on my machine.
>>>
>> Microsoft's contention is that NNTP does not provide things like rating
>> posts, marking posts as answers, etc. Windows Live Mail does have these
>> features, which I assume work with the bridge.
> ****
> (a) No ratings? So what? I don't take time to rate posts; it is not part of what I care
> about. I don't read the ratings. Even on forums where ratings occur, I don't read the
> ratings.
> (b) A followup on a post is an answer.
> (c) I avoid anything with the word "Live" in it.
> ****
>>
>>> The only reason I can think of to have an additional local process is to
>>> provide some other data mining capability for MS. But I'm paranoid about
>>> process communicating over the net for no apparent [good] reason.
>>>
>>> Anyway, yes, you should look again.
> ****
> But if the purpose of the process is to provide an interface for what you are going
> anyway, why is it a problem?
> joe
> ****

It's a problem b/c it's unnecessary. Everybody and their brother wants
to have more processes running our machines.

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
So running one more process to get me a decent newsgroup-style interface is a problem?
Duh. My smallest machine right now is my email machine, a poor little dual processor with
1GB of memory. My new machine (not in yet) will have eight cores and 9GB of memory. My
recently-deceased workstation was a quad processor, two dual-cores, and my main
development machine is a 64-bit quad processor, two dual-cores, albeit small with only 4GB
of memory. Both my servers are quad processors with 4GB. My laptop is a a dual-processor
machine with 4GB of memory. Memory, disk space, and computing resources are not the
bottlenecks. Bandwidth to information is the bottleneck, and the Web forums have
*abysmal* information bandwidth compared to a newsgroup reader. Microsoft has confused
functionality with bandwidth. Functionality might be interesting, but the ONLY important
part of the operation is the content, period. And I can't get that as fast with the
1990-style Web interface.

A modern interface would support
threading of messages
local copies
INSTANT access to ANY message that is already downloaded
background downloading of message headers and message bodies
Ability to read and respond to messages while other messages are downloading
Ability to download groups of messages, possibly hundreds, at a time

In 1990, a Web interface allowed looking at a page, clicking on a link, getting another
page, reading that, etc. We have not matured this interface in the slightest. I fail to
see how adding "Ratings", cute graphics, or other allegedly "cool" features has improved
my bandwidth to the information I care about. The search is slower, the ability to
navigate the information is marginal and horrifically slow, and it is only the lowered
expectations of the current generation make the design even marginally excusable.
joe