From: BobF on
Hector Santos wrote:
> BobF wrote:
>
>> Hector Santos wrote:

>>> Nothing technically. Two extra clicks. :)
>>
>> To each his own.
>

> Right.
>
>> Personally, I'm not jumping between projects often enough to have "two
>> extra clicks" add up to anything significant.
>

> We have 180+ projects in our build process. I know peanuts. :)

OK, 180 projects ... not peanuts, but if you're touching that many a
day, then there is a different problem you need to look into solving :-)

>> While I get your point about useful stuff in plain sight, having a
>> list of recent projects in sight would be wasting space that I could
>> use for something more useful.
>

> Right, developer defined useful stuff. Thats the point. Including the
> tracking if that is what you want. I have a great allergy towards
> privacy and security oriented stuff. So that would be something I would
> not want in the IDE which is otherwise a private endeavor.

Dev control over dev tools is the best idea. But, that's not how it is.

>> I like having recent projects tucked away, but being *only* two clicks
>> away :-)
>

> Cool.
>
> IMO, it might change if you had lots of projects, maybe not. I
> personally explore so many things that its get harder to keep track. For
> me, the IDE is also functions greatly as a "DEMO" marking tool (new
> product/idea outliner) (remember DEMO by Dan Brickin?). That was one of
> the major benefits of the IDE when they first come out, not just for
> developers, but including project managers.

I have quite a few projects. I just don't try to visit all of them in
one sitting :-)
From: Hector Santos on
BobF wrote:

>> We have 180+ projects in our build process. I know peanuts. :)
>
> OK, 180 projects ... not peanuts, but if you're touching that many a
> day, then there is a different problem you need to look into solving :-)

Which one? A more productive Start Page or "workspace" to manage them?

VS could not handle this load (just really bad/show on my machine) and
it horrible across the LAN where we have our shared VCS and source
located, so to improve things, for some projects, I make local copy
and then move then back! To better manage it, the projects are
grouped into smaller solutions (workspaces).

For us, it has to be batch build anyway since it does a bunch of
stuff, i.e. collect builds from developer work areas on their
machines, builds CD images, moves files around to our electronic
update servers, etc.

But regarding the start page or MRU, the IDE only shows the last 5-6.
I have it at 10.

> I have quite a few projects. I just don't try to visit all of them in
> one sitting :-)

What gave you that idea that was the intent? :) I'm speaking a "Poor
Man's" CMS or Workflow or "to do" Start Page or "Work space." I
guess this my APL upbringing.

Not only talking projects, but source files, any file, too. I'm just
winging it:

Recent Projects
Recent Research Projects
Recent Files

And not only shows the file/projects names, but dates perhaps, who
last changed it, and maybe projects short descriptions.

--
HLS
From: BobF on
Hector Santos wrote:
> BobF wrote:
>
>>> We have 180+ projects in our build process. I know peanuts. :)
>>
>> OK, 180 projects ... not peanuts, but if you're touching that many a
>> day, then there is a different problem you need to look into solving :-)
>

> Which one? A more productive Start Page or "workspace" to manage them?

Either work load or attention deficiency :-)

From: Hector Santos on
BobF wrote:

> Hector Santos wrote:

>> Which one? A more productive Start Page or "workspace" to manage them?
>
> Either work load or attention deficiency :-)

No argument there. Software is my drug of choice. :)

--
HLS
From: BobF on
Hector Santos wrote:
> BobF wrote:
>
>> Hector Santos wrote:
>
>>> Which one? A more productive Start Page or "workspace" to manage them?
>>
>> Either work load or attention deficiency :-)
>
> No argument there. Software is my drug of choice. :)

I hope you're having twinkies and coffee with that!